PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage board help

Christopher Kanda
09-16-2010, 3:04 PM
Has anyone made or bought a good template for making cribbage boards? I would like to make a few for gifts this xmas and want to simplify the process as much as possible. Is there a way to make a jig for the drill press to drill accurate holes. Also, what is a good way to mark the board with lines and a few numbers?

Peter Reiff
09-16-2010, 3:26 PM
Christopher,

I know Rockler has them, on my 2010 to do list for X-mas gifts for family and church shut ins

mark anizan
09-16-2010, 4:59 PM
I have a couple of patterns but they are MPC files to work with my Carvewright cnc machines.I dont have a way to convert to any other type if you do let me know .I would be happy to send them to you.
Mark

Christopher Kanda
09-16-2010, 5:32 PM
I don't know of a way to convert the files, thanks

Mack Cameron
09-16-2010, 6:50 PM
Has anyone made or bought a good template for making cribbage boards? I would like to make a few for gifts this xmas and want to simplify the process as much as possible. Is there a way to make a jig for the drill press to drill accurate holes. Also, what is a good way to mark the board with lines and a few numbers?Will this fill the bill? http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32777&cat=1,250,43313

I made a number of copies of the template and used an awl to mark the holes. I attempted to set up a fence for drilling the holes, but found it wasn't worth the effort.

I used a 1/8" brad point drill bit to drill the holes in less than an hour, when I put my mind to it.

I built many of these cribbage boards. http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/index.php?ci_id=2548&la_id=1

If you would like the plans, send me your email addy by pm. I will see that you get a set.

Don L Johnson
09-16-2010, 9:06 PM
I used the Rockler template last Christmas. I varried the use of different types of woods. If you would like, I will post some pictures.

Jerry Lawrence
09-16-2010, 9:15 PM
Funny you should bring this question up at this time, as I have just been going through pictures of cribbage boards I have made to see if any are worth posting. Probably not much help to you, however, as I just make the straight line boards, double length, tournament style. At this time I just mark the holes out individually and "drill on the x" 244 times (60 holes down and 60 back on each side of the board plus one starter hole each lane).
I have been trying to work up a notched jig for the drill press where the notches on the jig are the same distance apart as the holes on the board. That way I can put the board on a sled with a pin which mates to the notched fence allowing me to move the pin to the next notch and the board would be in the right position for the next hole. If you are making straight boards, this idea might work for you.
As for the curved lane boards, I second the Rockler template idea. They also sell a marking pen just for this purpose.
I don't want to hijack your thread with my own pics, but hopefully I'll be able to come up with a couple pics worth posting soon in case anyone is interested.

Christopher Kanda
09-17-2010, 8:13 AM
please post your pics. i would like to seee them and i'm sure others would too.

Mack Cameron
09-17-2010, 9:40 AM
please post your pics. i would like to seee them and i'm sure others would too.Hi Chris; Glad you received the plans. Here's a pic of one of my completed ones. Honey Locust/Walnut combination!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=161596&stc=1&d=1284730765

Peter Reiff
09-17-2010, 2:18 PM
Mack,

Wow that is super work!

Thanks for posting for our viewing pleasure

Peter Reiff
09-17-2010, 2:19 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.