PDA

View Full Version : Triton SCMS Review

Gene Howe
09-16-2010, 1:45 PM
I finally got time to un-pack and set up the Triton SCMS.

Fit and finish is excellent and, it appears to be well engineered. The 110 powered laser on off button is in the handle next to the power trigger. The lock for the blade is located on the motor housing and is a thumb friendly button instead of a steel rod. The lock that holds the blade down is spring loaded and operates easily. The slide lock is a screw to lock with a comfortable knob. The hold down clamp seems a little cheesy, but it does the job.
The slide operates very smoothly as does the saw pivot. The motor isn't any louder than my Craftsman miter saw.
Right out of the box, each miter and bevel setting was right on at every detent.
Nothing needed adjusting.
The blade that came with the saw was a little rough for my work so I changed it. It would be very adequate for framing.
Every cut I've made was glass smooth with no tear out. Even with well seasoned Mesquite.
I would recommend this saw for a serious hobbyist. Not for any commercial application, however.
I'm going to enjoy working with this saw. Now, to build Norms miter saw station.

Matt Day
09-16-2010, 1:58 PM
Hmmm, I'm in the market for a miter saw, but the reviews on Amazon and toolcritic are pretty harsh on this saw. Anyone else here have one of these? 10" 0r 12"?

Gene Howe
09-16-2010, 6:07 PM
Hmmm, I'm in the market for a miter saw, but the reviews on Amazon and toolcritic are pretty harsh on this saw. Anyone else here have one of these? 10" 0r 12"?

Strange....when I was researching this saw, neither tool critic nor Amazon rated this one. I just checked again and still no rating on the Triton 10" CMS.