PDA

View Full Version : Under Cabinet Kitchen Knife Storage/Rack

Chris Padilla
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
So I found a good deal for some decent kitchen knives at Costco and they arrived yesterday in the mail. Very nice knives...a couple swipes on the dual stone sharpener it came with and I cleaned my arm of hair!! WOW...not sure we've EVER had such sharp knives in our kitchen before.

Anyway, the maple block they came with is a bit tall and bulky and it isn't easy sliding the 10" knives out of it while it sits on the counter under the cabinet.

I found some decent ideas online but I want to make a custom one to fit these knives nice 'n neat 'n clean.

I found some ideas googling around. What I need is the hardware...any pointers out there from the SMC collective? Also, any other ideas for kitchen knife storage?

Thanks!

Lee Schierer
09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Any knife holder that uses magnets is out in my book as when you sharpen the knife you create steel filings that are difficult to clean off if they are magnetic and the knife is magnetized.

You can get under cabinet knife rack hardware from Woodworker Supply (http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=116-006&LARGEVIEW=ON).

Glenn Vaughn
09-16-2010, 1:04 PM
Any knife holder that uses magnets is out in my book as when you sharpen the knife you create steel filings that are difficult to clean off if they are magnetic and the knife is magnetized.

I have been using a magnetic knife holder for over 4 years and have not experienced any problems with the knives becoming magnetized at all.

As for sharpening, we only use the steell and have just had the knives professionally sharpened.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2010, 1:19 PM
Oh, if you're curious, here are the knives we got from Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11589003&search=saber%20knives&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=saber%20knives&Ntt=saber%20knives&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)...just got 'em last night so the jury is still out.

The sharpener is pretty clever...it is that triangular wedge below the knives in the butcher block holder and is held in with magnets.

fRED mCnEILL
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
When I built our kitchen cabinets we made the counter 30 inches deep but the cabinets are 24 inches so there is a 6 inch cavity between the cabinet and the wall. Our countertops are granite so when the granite was put in we did a cutout in the granite that is approx 5 inches wide and 18 inches long. I then built a "box" with a hardwood top with slots cut into it for the knives. Kinda like a Knife block sunk into the counter. Knives are out of the way, looks good and works well and te whole "box" lifts out for cleaning.
Just another way.

Bruce Page
09-17-2010, 9:28 AM
We have a couple under cabinet ones like the darker one you show, one for knives & one for spices. You could strip the hardware from one and make your own. You’d have to keep the weight the same otherwise the springs might droop.