PDA

View Full Version : A pair of forged steel carving tools I made. G.Wilson

george wilson
09-16-2010, 10:45 AM
These are 2 carving tools I forged out of some very old Swedish steel that I have a good bit of. It must be about 100 years old,because it was rolled in a primitive way: It is in flat strips about 1 1/4" wide,X about 3/8" thick. I'd have to drag it out to be sure. The edges of this material are just left round,as if it was rolled from a round bar between 2 rollers.

It is very rusty,but is great steel,and VERY tough. I harden it in oil. I haven't used it for some time since I'm really not a black smith,but sometimes I do get into it,but not to the degree Harry has done.

These gouges are #1 and #2 sweep,or very shallow. They are for carving the arches in larger bowed instruments,where the insides of the tops aren't curved very tightly.

The dark brown handle was varnished with some of my own varnish,made dark brown by cooking it in the presence of iron. It can never fade since iron oxide is at the end of its chemical chain.

I never finished the blades beyond the grinding of their inside curves,and draw filing their convex backs.

The tempering colors were left on them.

These were experiments.Leaving the colors on them is a reminder of what I did. I also stamped"compresses Swedish steel on their backs to remind myself what I had done.

Finishing them by hammering the steel below red heat is the reason I made them. It was also known as packing in the old days. It was done to compress the molecules,and make the steel tougher.

These have performed quite well for many years. hey have gotten a little beat up,as you can see from the chipped brown varnish on the one. Curly maple was used on both handles.

David Weaver
09-16-2010, 10:51 AM
George, it's funny that you refer to them in a way that implies they are somewhat coarsely finished. They look great, and all of my older carving tools are the same way - not polished on the side that meets the top side of the bevel away from the opposite side at the cutting edge.

george wilson
09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Sorry about the messed up title The computer sometimes adds words that I had previously used(a long time ago),and I could not get rid of them.

I consider them finished about like Addis used to finish their carving tools. They are not polished like Pfiels. I left the evidence of their making to remind myself what I did. They are smoothly ground on the inside sweeps like they should be.

These poor pictures don't show too well. The "shape" behind "compressed Swedish steel" is an anvil shaped punch I made to use on them since they were forged.

I can't remember why I left the bolsters square. I should have made them hexagonal. A blip in my design thought! I should not have made them so thin at the necks,either,though they haven't broken in 38 years.

'

David Weaver
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
They remind me of the few addis tools I have, though I don't have the inclination to view design to the same level of depth you do, so you may think differently. I admired the square bolsters when I opened the picture, it's a nice element and shows they're made by a craftsman. Anyone who would break them near the tang would have to be having a bad day or something.

I have few addis tools because the people who sell them on ebay seem to think they're made of precious metals, and anymore, ebay drives the idiotic prices people think they can get in the open market - if you can even find them anywhere other than a huge organized tool meet. I like them a lot, though.

The new pfeil tools are very nice, too, by also very expensive. it may be my imagination, but I think carving tools have gone up a lot in the last three years, and the exchange rate has been fairly constant with europe, so I wonder if it's because of benefits costs in europe driving the change, or if it's at the retailer side here because they just don't sell in volume.

Tends to keep people like me from purchasing carving tools until they're really needed, which is a pain, because you get stuck waiting in the middle of projects waiting for them to arrive if you don't plan well.