PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023RLX or 690/691

Ashwini Kaul
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Since I am waiting on the Rikon bandsaws to go on sale... I thought, I might as well just get the Tablesaw issue done with.

I am looking at these Grizzlies as probable purchases. I have read a bunch of threads about speculated comparisons between the 690 series and the new 1023 series. Havent seen any user reviews of the new 1023 series though.

So did anyone ever get their hands on one (1023)... I know the shipments were getting delayed/postponed but did they ever get delivered to customer? If yes, whats the word right now on these?

I personally find the prospect of better dust collection very appealing with the Shroud thats been added to the 1023. Since this will be my first cabinet saw... I am not so nitpicky about the other stuff. I do have space in the basement so space is not an issue.

On the other hand... if these are still on hold with a unclear delivery date or backordered... I will just get one in the 690 series... likely the 691 with the long rails.

Please comment/advise/guide or throw in ur 2c!

David Helm
09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Here are some photos of my G1023RLX. I was one who waited from January for my saw precisely because I wanted the improved dust collection. I expect that they now have them in stock. I haven't yet used my saw because I'm still in process building my dust collection and my aircraft carrier sized outfeed table (full 4 X 8 sheet).

Cary Falk
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Here is my 1023RL review.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147080

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Here is a thread with a lot of discussion and I tried to point out the differences between the two series, some of the questions in my post may have been cleared up since the 1023 is actually in peoples hands now.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142465&highlight=1023

Gene Waara
09-16-2010, 1:40 PM
Van was answering some of my questions in his referenced post. I bought the G690 and here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146711 is my initial review. As an update, Griz did not have new inserts in stock but offered ZCI instead which I gladly accepted. They arrived yesterday but I did not get to open the boxes yet. I have used the saw several times and I love it. What an upgrade from a CM contractor saw! Someone asked why there are two saws with similar specs at the same price point and I think Shiraz answered that he was offering folks a color option (could have been in reference to the Polar Bear series also, can't remember). I have the saw hooked up to a Delta 50-850 DC and am happy with the DC so far. Mainly, the 20 amp vs. 30 amp motor was a big deal to me given my shop wiring. Right side (looking at the saw) DC port was also important for me. The debate will rage on but in the end they are both great saws. What color do you like and how soon do you need it?:D

Ashwini Kaul
09-16-2010, 3:01 PM
Here are some photos of my G1023RLX. I was one who waited from January for my saw precisely because I wanted the improved dust collection. I expect that they now have them in stock. I haven't yet used my saw because I'm still in process building my dust collection and my aircraft carrier sized outfeed table (full 4 X 8 sheet).

Thank you for the eye candy!

Thats one helluva outfeed setup!!
Any issues with the machining of the top or the fence that you might have noticed?

David Helm
09-16-2010, 3:13 PM
Thank you for the eye candy!

Thats one helluva outfeed setup!!
Any issues with the machining of the top or the fence that you might have noticed?

My top is dead flat. I didn't have any of the issues that Keith Micinski had. Fence face is flat. Nearly zero runout on the blade/arbor. Near perfect parallelism blade to slot also.

Ashwini Kaul
09-16-2010, 3:26 PM
Fantastic!! I am very relieved to hear that.
Its been one of my concerns with the 690 series.

Now I just got off the phone with Grizzly CS and looked at the various availabilities.
Its seems as though 1023 is not going to be available before middle of November and who knows if even thats a realistic projection? I dont want to go through a 9 month wait... already went through that recently!!
The 691 is is closer at middle of october and the rep seemed more optimistic about that. Nothing I am interested in is available now!
What a bummer....

Jesse Wilson
09-18-2010, 1:53 AM
Fantastic!! I am very relieved to hear that.
Its been one of my concerns with the 690 series.

Now I just got off the phone with Grizzly CS and looked at the various availabilities.
Its seems as though 1023 is not going to be available before middle of November and who knows if even thats a realistic projection? I dont want to go through a 9 month wait... already went through that recently!!
The 691 is is closer at middle of october and the rep seemed more optimistic about that. Nothing I am interested in is available now!
What a bummer....

I thought they had started coming in? Are they backed up again?

Jim O'Dell
09-18-2010, 9:49 AM
Remember all those people that pre-ordered! They probably had some left over that others gobbled up. And some warehouses may have had fewer extra of any given model.
That said, I have the 691. I love it! I had a few very minor issues to deal with to get it perfect, like taking the top off to ream out the mounting holes in the cabinet edge to get the top parallel to the blade. Wouldn't have known it was still slightly off if I didn't get a dial indicator set up to test it. Looked fine using the adjustable square. My extension table was smashed on 2 corners. Not a big deal. I traded getting a replacement for 4 casters from Grizzly. I think it worked well for both of us. I built my own extension replacement longer so it would handle moving the fence to the right to give me 65" rip capacity. (And more importantly, more horizontal surface to clutter up with "stuff". :rolleyes: )
My dust collection is actually pretty good. I do need to seal around the sloping ramp inside the cabinet. Some dust does get past that and under the saw. Yes, the shroud would be nice, but this works well enough. Since the dust pick up is not only on the right side of the saw (read that as correct side!!) it is also mounted in a removable door. I enlarged the hole in it for a 6" duct. If I ever wanted to sell it, I could purchase a $20.00 door and it would be right back to factory.
My fence is not perfectly flat. Need to find time to work on shimming it. But it's not bad...at least on the only side that can be next to the blade with the modifications I've made.
In the end, decide which features are the most important to you. Get the saw that meets that the best. Even if you have to wait a little time. Otherwise you will always second guess yourself. Jim.