PDA

View Full Version : Flap Sander?

Lance Norris
09-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I think a flap sander would be cool to have. I do lots of hobby work and lots of irregular curves. I was thinking of one of the Jet machines, but then started thinking of my lathe, a Jet 1236. I have a Morse Taper 2 drill chuck that fits the 1236. Can I use the chuck or do I need something else? Is there any reason not to use my lathe with the appropriate stuff, to make it a temp flap sander? I have a Big Gulp and a solid dust collector, so that part is mostly handled. Where can I get the flaps? Can I buy a sanding head ready to go, just chuck it up and sand? How about inflatable drums? Ive seen the inflatable drums for sale, but any comments as to where to buy the flap head or inflatable drums would be great. Thx.

Dave Lehnert
09-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I use a flap sander with my Shopsmith. Would be no different than a lathe. I just use a cheap flap sander you get at Lowe's that chucks in a drill chuck.

Brian Millspaw
09-16-2010, 7:56 AM
You can get pnuematic drums and flapsanders from sand-rite. google it.

Jerome Hanby
09-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I've picked them up from Mikes (local surplus/junk store in Huntsville and Decatur).

Callan Campbell
09-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Places to buy, or order on-line:
Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
Lee Valley
Craft Supplies-in Utah
Woodcraft
Rockler, maybe
Woodworkers Supply

Chris Padilla
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Klingspor has some has lots of interesting sanding gizmos for handling curves and profiles.

Look up their Sanding Mop and Mac Mop. I had a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145758) on them recently.