PDA

View Full Version : Anyone an F1 racing fan?

Van Huskey
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Before I spend any time waxing poetic I just wonder if there are any F1 fans here?

I am a Ferrari fan (have been for over 35 years) and this weeks win at Monza (La Pista Magica) has me on a little bit of a high. If you are a F1 fan are you a member of the "Tifosi" or follow one of those "other" teams? :D

Bruce Page
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
You might get a smile from this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhGJyLR6TI&eurl=http://boortz.com/more/video/driving_wife_crazy.html

Bryan Morgan
09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I keep trying to watch F1 as I like most other forms of motorsports but its just too boring. The cars rarely seem to race. No offense but it just seems like a bunch of male models standing around looking trying to look slick half the time. :p I love the Rolex series and SCCA type road racing. I used to hate NASCAR too (I used to think it was just a bunch of idiots driving in circles :) ) but I haven't missed a race in a couple years now. Its exciting when cars actually race each other, swapping paint. I do like the CART/IZOD open wheel racing.

Maybe it will just "click" some day like it did for me with NASCAR. I think there's just something I'm missing with F1. I think part of it is a lot of the F1 fans I've met are kind of smug and thats a turn off. I'll keep trying to watch F1 of course. :D

Jim McFarland
09-16-2010, 12:53 AM
McLaren fan here from the days of Honda power and Ayrton Senna. Hamilton and Button fan now but I don't mind when Massa (especially after overcoming his accident) and Weber do well.

I miss the days when the announcers were quiet during some of the in-car shots. Great racing audio IMO as the driver accelerated. I like the Speed Channel announcers generally but would prefer to hear the car instead of (exaggerating slightly :)) "Lewis had trouble in this corner last year" nonsense during acceleration!

Still not enough overtaking in F1 for many U.S. fans of other racing and, other than the frantic start, qualifying is often more exciting than the actual race. I still get up early on Sunday mornings though.

Mike Wilkins
09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I love to watch whenever it comes on the local Fox station. Unfortunately the Speed channel is only available by subscription(%$#@! cable company) so I miss out there. I always try to catch an IRL race, but about half of these are also on a network that is not in this area.

Brad Wood
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I've tried to watch F1 but there is something about it that I just can't get into. Not really sure what it is.

I watch American Le Mans Series, both Grand Am races (Rolex and Continental), and GT3 Challenge.
I think I'm more attracted to these races due to them being real cars we see on the road (minus the prototypes). I love the multi class racing at the same time on severely crowded tracks too.

I've never seen any SCCA on TV, but I've been to SCCA races that are held at my local track - Portland International Raceway. Great stuff seeing these amateur drivers out there in their cars, tearing it up like crazy

Chuck Wintle
09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I am a redbull fan but previously a Ferrari fan. Try to watch every race and, hopefully, Vettel can pull it together to challenge for the title. :D

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 1:15 PM
First, I am a fan of most types of racing, my wife says I would watch turtle races if their was a podium interview at the end! F1 is somewhat of an aquired taste and I feel it must be watched as a three day event, I know plenty of rabid Nascar fans that never watch practice or qualy because it has little if any impact on the race. Particularly qualy makes all the difference in the world for F1. The one thing I am sad about this year is the no in race refueling which in the past allowed the race to unfold like a chess match and you saw races like Shumacher's 4 stop victory in France a few years back that makes you step back and realize you saw something special.

F1 is truely one motorsport where the cars are as if not more important than the driver, the grand jewel is the constructors championship and not the drivers championship.

There are indeed very few passes for position in F1 but they are often very special and it is one of the few motorsports where passes may be talked about for decades, for instance Mika Häkkinen's pass of both Michael Shumacher and Ricardo Zonta on the Kemmel straight coming out of Eau Rouge (greatest corner in motorsports) in 2000.

One last thing when F1 returns to the US or for our Canadian members next time it is in Montreal try it out in person, if you appreciate engineering or the quickest formula in all road course motorsport you will enjoy it. They will be coming back to the US and Austin, TX next.

I have seen F1 races on 14 tracks in 8 countries and it never ceases to thrill me. But I do understand why some feel it is boring.

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 1:27 PM
I am a redbull fan but previously a Ferrari fan. Try to watch every race and, hopefully, Vettel can pull it together to challenge for the title. :D

I like Vettel, have for his entire short career, but I would kinda like to see Mark win it instead, he has few chances left, BUT as long as it isn't either McLaren driver. There is no current team or current drivers I have more disdain for. It was like they said "hmmm what driver team combination can we put together that Van will hate most, oh yeah Macca with Lewis and Jenson driving". The only thing they would have to do to make it my historical most hated team would be to have Ron Dennis back in charge and replace Button with Ayrton Senna da Silva.

Bryan Morgan
09-16-2010, 3:35 PM
I've tried to watch F1 but there is something about it that I just can't get into. Not really sure what it is.

I watch American Le Mans Series, both Grand Am races (Rolex and Continental), and GT3 Challenge.
I think I'm more attracted to these races due to them being real cars we see on the road (minus the prototypes). I love the multi class racing at the same time on severely crowded tracks too.

I've never seen any SCCA on TV, but I've been to SCCA races that are held at my local track - Portland International Raceway. Great stuff seeing these amateur drivers out there in their cars, tearing it up like crazy

So I'm not alone then :) Speed channel used to show the top class SCCA for touring car class (smaller 4 bangers, Integras, Proteges, etc) and GT class (Corvettes, Vipers, 911s). The only thing that sucked is that Randy Pobst pretty much won all the time. Boris Said also raced. Then they had the Speed challenge which was similar (I haven't seen that for awhile) and now the closest I've seen is the Rolex stuff. Sometimes they show the Australian v8 races, but I think thats only because Marcus Ambrose is gaining in popularity in NASCAR. I too like how these are normal cars I could go buy, fix up, and race.

So whats the draw to F1? Whats the magic thing that makes you go "holy crap!! Did you see that??!" The cars are kind of cool I guess. More or less the same as the IRL stuff.

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 3:57 PM
So whats the draw to F1? Whats the magic thing that makes you go "holy crap!! Did you see that??!" The cars are kind of cool I guess. More or less the same as the IRL stuff.

1. Speed, no other formula of racing can lap a track at the speeds these cars do. 4+ Gs in the turns, 5 Gs under hard braking

2. The cars, if you like engineering F1 cars are the pinnacle of auto racing. 300+ hp per liter normally aspirated 2.4L V8 capable of multiple races at 18,000 rpm (all on basically pump gas) and aerodynamics only matched by the best fighter planes.

3. The drivers, you don't find auto racing where a higher degree of precision is required, they can't rub paint or they day will most likely end quickly. They can't afford "offs" it is not often when you can stray from the track and return to racing, more true with the older tracks.

4. The tracks, some of the most incredible tracks in the world are on the F1 calender and the greatest show in motor racing is Monaco.

5. The teams, every car is a built by the constructor, there is no chassis sharing. The differences between them and IRL stop at about the point they have no fenders, about the same as NASCAR vs LMP.

As I said F1 seems to be an aquired taste but much like soccer and bicycle racing one that is lost on a large portion of Americans for what ever reason. It is also not a sport for the casual watcher, short of the obvious who crosses the finish line first there is more nuance than the majority of motorsport.

Neal Clayton
09-16-2010, 8:07 PM
i was gonna say, before you mentioned it, watch a lap at monaco and appreciate the driver skill required for this level of motor racing.

Brad Wood
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
yep, from a technology perspective, these cars are cutting edge. And, to drive one at the speeds they are driven requires a skill unlike most of us could ever know. Sort of like putting wheels on an F16.
I was blown away the first time I saw them lift the front end with a sort of modified hand truck cantilever device.... lifting the front end by hand essentially... wow.

So, appreciation for the sport, and the ability to watch the sport, two separate things for sure. Like I said, I'm really not sure what it is. I've tried to watch a few of the races this season and I never get more than a few minutes into it.

Bryan - V8 Supercars is a hell of a ride, those cars are really something. You said the closest thing to SCCA you have seen on Speed lately is the Rolex, have you watched the Continental Tire Series Challenge at all? I think this is more like SCCA than Rolex... well, at least based on the SCCA we have running at PIR. The rules really limit how much these guys can do to their cars. Much of what they are running is factory production.... like the ECU even. I think it was one of the Honda teams, maybe Kia, that had third gear go out on them... The car's ECU put it in limp mode, and they couldn't finish the race.

Bryan Morgan
09-17-2010, 3:53 PM
yep, from a technology perspective, these cars are cutting edge. And, to drive one at the speeds they are driven requires a skill unlike most of us could ever know. Sort of like putting wheels on an F16.
I was blown away the first time I saw them lift the front end with a sort of modified hand truck cantilever device.... lifting the front end by hand essentially... wow.

Agreed. I read a lot about the technology (as I do with most motorsports...the technology is half of the total interest for me) and it is quite impressive. But it makes one question where is the trade off? How much is the technology driving the car and how much is the driver? I watch Top Gear all the time and they had a hilarious one where one of the guys could barely get the F1 car to move for awhile. Then he made a few fast looking laps and the team laughed at him because his braking was less than half a second off! He also wouldn't give the car enough speed to generate heat in the brakes. I would love to try and drive one of those someday.

I used to think NASCAR had crap technology and maybe the tech itself is but the engineering they use to work with what they are allowed is just awesome. The days of the dumb hillbilly are long gone. :)

So, appreciation for the sport, and the ability to watch the sport, two separate things for sure. Like I said, I'm really not sure what it is. I've tried to watch a few of the races this season and I never get more than a few minutes into it.

Thats about where I'm at. I watch it for a little bit and it gets kind of repetitive. Honestly though, I thought the same thing about NASCAR before I figured it out so I just chalk it up to my lack of understanding.

Bryan - V8 Supercars is a hell of a ride, those cars are really something. You said the closest thing to SCCA you have seen on Speed lately is the Rolex, have you watched the Continental Tire Series Challenge at all? I think this is more like SCCA than Rolex... well, at least based on the SCCA we have running at PIR. The rules really limit how much these guys can do to their cars. Much of what they are running is factory production.... like the ECU even. I think it was one of the Honda teams, maybe Kia, that had third gear go out on them... The car's ECU put it in limp mode, and they couldn't finish the race.

Yeah I've seen the Continental Tire Challenge but its rarely on lately or I just don't catch it. Does Pobst still race? Last time I watched it a couple Mustangs were smoking the pack and one blew up or lost a tire or something and went flying off the track. The announcers were going bananas about it. :) The K&N stock cars are pretty fun to watch when they are on road courses.

Bryan Morgan
09-17-2010, 3:54 PM
i was gonna say, before you mentioned it, watch a lap at monaco and appreciate the driver skill required for this level of motor racing.

When is that race? Is it coming up anytime soon?

Jim McFarland
09-17-2010, 4:29 PM

Monaco was in May -- next is May 29, 2011,

Neal Clayton
09-17-2010, 8:29 PM

here's a jenson button qualifying lap on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ck05AfWIf0

i mean, that's a far cry from circle track racing, even though i don't consider myself a big racing fan, i can appreciate that.

an error of 6 inches and his day is over. an error of more than a foot and he's a dead man.

and all of that on a circuit full of hills, without a shoulder other than the wall, and a tunnel that also has a curve inside of it.

Bryan Morgan
09-23-2010, 3:21 PM

i mean, that's a far cry from circle track racing, even though i don't consider myself a big racing fan, i can appreciate that.

an error of 6 inches and his day is over. an error of more than a foot and he's a dead man.

and all of that on a circuit full of hills, without a shoulder other than the wall, and a tunnel that also has a curve inside of it.

Holy crap that looks fun! I'd splatter myself if I tried it but I'd still give it a go...:D

Bryan Morgan
09-23-2010, 3:24 PM

I was just in the parking lot at work when something caught my eye the next building over.... I know they build performance cars but apparently they also build Speed World Challenge race cars there too. They had a couple sitting in the back lot they were polishing or something (heavy smell of auto polish in the air). I gawked at them for awhile. :) Theres always been a Speed brand truck there but I never paid it any attention.

Brad Wood
09-23-2010, 4:33 PM

that is wicked fast. those are some pretty narrow lanes, I can see how passing would be rather difficult on a circuit like that.

It takes a lot of skill to go in a circle for 200+ miles at the speeds they go, but I still think its the lamest racing to watch (so, in other words, I appreciate the skill required for left turn racing, it still sucks :) )

Bryan Morgan
09-24-2010, 3:13 PM
So I watched the Singapore "race" this morning.... meh. Its slightly more entertaining than watching golf. :)

Chuck Wintle
09-24-2010, 3:54 PM
So I watched the Singapore "race" this morning.... meh. Its slightly more entertaining than watching golf. :)

that was only a practice session and not the race.

Will Rowland
09-24-2010, 5:57 PM
I'm a huge F1 fan. Why? Don't ask, but I just really enjoy relaxing with a nice Belgian beer and watching qualifying and the races. I'll be the first to admit that, especially during the days of Schumacher's domination, F1 of the past could be a bit boring, but the last few seasons certainly have been anything but (a few races on the Tilke tracks excluded...).

Though I lived in Europe and Asia for a number of years, I've never been to live F1 race, so am anxiously awaiting the US Grand Prix in Austin. I have a 911 so also quite looking forward to the first Porsche club track day on the new circuit...

I'd like to see Webber take the title this year, as he has truly been the "journeyman" of F1, and is essentially "self-made", unlike a few of his primadonna peers. That said, I certainly wouldn't rule out Hamilton, Vettel or "Freddy" for the title.

Bryan Morgan
09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
that was only a practice session and not the race.

Ah, that would explain why the paint was still fresh on the track and the announcers were so monotonous. :) A guy busted his suspension, that was briefly entertaining. The speed at which they took those corners without sliding out was really impressive.

Norberto Coutinho
09-25-2010, 2:31 PM
Watch the race tomorrow. I guarantee that there will be an exciting time. Since the time of the memorable Ayrton Senna, (not forgetting to Emerson Fittipaldi and Nelson Piquet), thousands of Brazilians have become fans of F1. The Brazilians are now fans of Felipe Massa, Rubens Barrichello and Bruno Senna (nephew of Ayrton Senna). Excitement Guaranteed

Neal Clayton
09-26-2010, 1:03 PM
the brazilian track is more open as well, so not so much of a street race like monaco, for example.

they're wide open through about half of it.

another reason why i appreciate formula one even though not being a big racing fan, per se. not just street circuits, not just open faster circuits, not just short tracks not just long tracks. to win a driver has to be proficient at all of the above.

Norberto Coutinho
10-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I used google translator for this. Maybe some will be wrong in the text.
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgloboesporte.globo.com%2Fmotor%2Ffo rmula-1%2Fnoticia%2F2010%2F09%2Fbruno-senna-andara-com-uma-lotus-do-tio-ayrton-antes-do-gp-do-japao.html
A old F1 racing car running on next sunday ( not in the race ). Dont miss this.
Viva Ayrton Senna

Van Huskey
11-05-2010, 3:01 PM
Say what you want about F1 being boring but as they start the race weekend in Norberto's home country at Interlagos with 2 races left in the season 5 drivers are still in it for the driver's championship and 3 teams still in it for the constructor's championship.

Forza Ferrari :D

Chuck Wintle
11-05-2010, 5:34 PM
the tifosi are with you

Norberto Coutinho
11-06-2010, 8:42 AM
Tomorrow (and still today) have much emotion. From 02:00 pm - today and tomorrow. This week, Emerson Fittipaldi drove his famous Lotus in the streets of Sao Paulo. After 37 years, the reunion between two champions ... man and machine. Old friends meeting again

http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1367235-7823-EMERSON+FITTIPALDI+PILOTA+LOTUS+PELAS+RUAS+DE+SAO+ PAULO,00.html

Norberto Coutinho
11-07-2010, 8:21 AM
the tifosi are with you

to go to the race starting . Tifosis around the world are anxious and a bit nervous:D

Chuck Wintle
11-07-2010, 8:34 AM
to go to the race starting . Tifosis around the world are anxious and a bit nervous:D

should be a great race today. Hope the track remains dry for the racers. Rain could spell the end of vettels championship run.

Chuck Wintle
11-07-2010, 9:32 AM
Can's wait to see the F1 in Austin texas. Hopefully it will have better luck there than in Indianapolis.

Van Huskey
11-08-2010, 1:33 AM
And now there are 4... Jenson Button is out of the running but the top three have tightened up. Fernando is still ahead but the margin dwindled, still don't believe Vettel didn't give way to Webber, I know he is the golden child but still. I can see the angle given the crazy "maths" those wacky engineers use.

Alas neither Reubens nor Felipe had a good race in their home GP. :(

So the circus heads to the UAE to settle this for the ages at Yas Marina. It could be epic.

Brazil has given me some of my greatest highs (like Kimi in 2007) and Felipe "winning" the championship for 30 or so second in 2008 :mad:. This year was just an extension of the anticipation! Will the church bells ring in Marnello 6 days from now? I for one hope so! Avanti, avanti fare!

Chuck Wintle
11-08-2010, 8:02 AM
Definitely Vettel will need a lot of luck to win the championship. For vettel to win alonso must finish wors that 5th place and Webber in a similar fashion. I see alonso taking the championship if he continues to race well.