PDA

View Full Version : Lens cleaning

bill gervais
09-15-2010, 9:32 PM
Hello there,
I check the creek daily and have learned so much! Has anyone tried the lense cleaning premoisten wipes out there? These are promoted for high quality optics, eye glasses etc. This particular manufacture claims anti fog, anti static and completely residue free.

The main ingredient is isoproply alcohol.

Is it safe to try? Should I have any concerns?

Thanks, Bill

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2010, 9:47 PM
Those are made for glasses and binoculars. Laser lenses are gold coated, and anything too harsh will scratch the surface. I only use the special liquid made for cleaning them and optical tissues made by Kodak for cameras. I do have a box of the pre-moistened wipes, but use them for glasses and sunglasses only.

Dee Gallo
09-15-2010, 10:31 PM
When I got my Epilog, it came with a bottle of lens cleaner, special tissue paper and I can't see why you would want to use anything else - you'd be taking a chance of damaging the lens when there is no need. It only takes a few drops at a time, so the bottle will last for a long time.

If you think the pre-moistened wipes make it an easier job, I think you are making it harder than it has to be. The wet drops flood the lens and wash away tiny particles which then stick to the dry lens tissue. Simple. A pre-moistened wipe might feel wet, but won't flood the lens. The last thing you want to do is rub a particle across the lens with ANY pressure.

Think of it like getting an eyelash in your eye - wouldn't you rather wash it out than scrape it over your cornea? The cleaner is not expensive and compared to replacing your lens, it's a bargain.

that's my 2 cents, dee

Mike Null
09-16-2010, 5:20 AM
Do not use isopropyl alcohol to clean your laser lens. It has water in it.

Harper Abbot
09-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Epilog recommended either their cleaner or Everclear to me. I believe their cleaner is basically the same, ethanol. Ethanol and water form an azeotrope, meaning that ethanol can only be distilled to about 95% concentration, the rest being mostly water.

When the alcohol evaporates, the water is taken with it, so I wouldn't think it's too much of a problem.

$.02

Dan Hintz
09-16-2010, 1:19 PM
The anhydrous form of ethanol is what you really want, which if memory serves contains less than 1% H2O... even off the shelf ethanol (everclear), however, should remain at less than 5%. Isopropyl, depending upon how long is has been sitting open, can contain more than 30% H2O.

Robert Walters
09-23-2010, 3:17 PM
Any reason not to use Denatured Alcohol?

Dan Hintz
09-23-2010, 9:08 PM
Because it's often denatured with isopropyl, raising the water percentage? Unless you know what they've used to denature it, it's a gamble.

Andrew Mammoliti
09-23-2010, 9:29 PM
acetone anyone?

Gary Hair
09-24-2010, 9:34 AM
acetone anyone?

I just bought a pint of reagent grade acetone and I'm stunned at how clean everything is after using it. I ordered it from a scientific supply and paid about $12.00 plus shipping. It was a bit expensive but compared to the cost of new lens and mirrors, it was pretty cheap!

Gary

Mike Null
09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Gary

I believe that is the same stuff as is shipped with most lasers.

Gary Hair
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Gary

I believe that is the same stuff as is shipped with most lasers.

Not mine, but could be with others, mine came with Kodak Lens Cleaner. The only thing I wish is that there was a way to slow down the evaporation, it flashes extremely fast!

Gary

James Terry
09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
My bottle of Everclear flashes pretty fast too. I dunno, it always seems empty... I think it is 95% because there is a 95% chance that all of it ends up in my tummy.

Gary Hair
09-24-2010, 7:07 PM
My bottle of Everclear flashes pretty fast too. I dunno, it always seems empty... I think it is 95% because there is a 95% chance that all of it ends up in my tummy.

I think everclear has some sort of human-eye optical properties - last time I "used" some, for cleaning purposes of course, I remember my vision becoming very blurry. Oh, and I think it also has an affect on your brain, I seem to recall a severe headache as well...

It's cleaning properties are suspect also, I don't recall the cooler, fruit punch or canned fruit becoming any cleaner after adding copious quantities of everclear, and I'm sure my 30-40 Army buddies saw the same results. Of course that was around 1981-1985 so my memory might be a bit off.

Gary