PDA

View Full Version : Another DNA Question

Allen Neighbors
09-15-2010, 9:30 PM
I didn't want to hijack David's thread, so I just started a new one.
Can someone tell me how long a 5 gallon pail of DNA will last? How often do you have to add to it, or do you change it completely?

Bill Bulloch
09-15-2010, 9:39 PM
I used it before I built my kiln. I just topped it off when it got to low to cover the bowl. It gets nasty looking with time, but still does its job. I used about 4 gallons over a years time and had about half left in the bucket when I quit using it. Five gallons should last a long while depending on use.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Allen - the answer really depends on how much wood you are going to run through it. Each rough out will take some DNA with it when you remove it from the soak. I add just enough DNA to cover the next blank and keep the rest stored in the original can.

I buy my DNA a gallon at a time when its on sale. Only been through a gallon so far this year because I haven't roughed out very many green blanks.

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I have the same container I started with about 3 or 4 yrs ago. Every so often I just add fresh to bring it back up to the starting level. Still works just as well as when I started.

neil mackay
09-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Allen it kinda depends how good your lid is, the darn stuff will evaporate rapidly.Its best to keep a low head space in the containers this will retard the loss process.

Harvey Ghesser
09-16-2010, 3:59 PM
....what everyone said.