PDA

View Full Version : Shelving full of chisels and carving tools.

george wilson
09-15-2010, 7:35 PM
I have carving tools on these shelf/racks,in various tool chests,and in my big bench(which is too cluttered to photograph right now.

The woman in the photo is my wife,Dawn. She is 20 years younger than Me. Been together since 1986.

I had to build about 400' of shelving in the 30'X40' shop,and it's 16' x 22' woodworking machine,and wood storage room. Every available space is full of shelving,stuffed to overload! I used good yellow pine with very few knots for it,and screwed them into the studs with 4" deck screws.

These may not be the very best shelves ever designed,but at the time there were over 100 boxes full of shop stuff in the middle of the floor,and I was just over spinal stenosis surgery. Therefore,I had to get the job done.

In the first picture,you can see a 4" vacuum hose going down to the bench,so I can suck up dust while I am sanding at the bench.

At the far left is a Norris jack plane sticking out of the plane/saw storage unit. I built it recently over the top of the window because the sun is blinding in the morning.Beside it is my brass shoulder plane you can see in the FAQ section here. Above them are back saws that I mostly made.

In the right hand picture,there is a picture of Dawn. Above her is sandpaper storage. The red ended boxes are Bigsby vibrato tailpieces for guitars. Below,the black things are many Irwin type clamps. My wife thinks I'm a clamp freak,but it can take a LOT of them when gluing a guitar top or back on,with the clamps touching each other all around.

The white thing with 2 eye holes is a ray skin. I am currently restoring an 18th.C. case covered in shagreen ray skin.

The entrance to the wood machine room is to the far right. You see the ends of 2-8' bar clamps stored over the entrance. The whole wide entrance is lined with bar clamps.

John Coloccia
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
My wife thinks I'm a clamp freak,but it can take a LOT of them when gluing a guitar top or back on,with the clamps touching each other all around.

Boy, you're not kidding. I finally lost my patience today, went out and bought a 1 1/2" dowel, and a bunch of carriage bolts and washers. I spent the morning making 20 spool clamps. We'll see how long I last until I get fed up again and make another 20.

Leigh Betsch
09-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm afraid that I'm going t have to report you to the Tool Warden. You're obviously over your limit!

george wilson
09-17-2010, 9:39 PM
You probably will need another 20,John. I can't recall right off how many Irwin clamps I can get around a jumbo size guitar,but it is plenty,and the whole thing gets real heavy to turn over with my arms held straight out,to not disturb the clamps.

After I glue the back on,I have to turn it over so I can get inside the sound hole with a wet acid brush,and get rid of squirted glue inside the guitar.