PDA

View Full Version : My main tool chest. Made in 1970. G.Wilson Mkr.

george wilson
09-15-2010, 7:08 PM
I worked like a dog in 1970,and really got a great deal done. I was in private for a year,making the large Harpsichord for the Music Teacher's Shop,2 other instruments also,and trying to get ready to open My own shop.

I did not want an ordinary carpenter's or cabinet maker's tool chest. They take up too much room in the space I had for my shop.

This chest is more suited to my smaller kind of work. It has the rough pine exterior typical of chests in the old days,so it could be banged about in shipment. It is more along the lines of a pattern maker's chest.

The interior is Mahogany. All the dovetails were hand cut. I could do 1 corner of a drawer in 10 minutes by hand when I got into it.

The chest is filled mostly with carving tools now. I hadn't any more wall space to devote to them in my shop.

The hinges are the 18th.C butterfly type,though you can't see them. You can see the clenched handmade nails at the bottom of the folded down front flap.

The lock is folded down,too. It is an original 18th.C. lock Mr. Simms gave me. You can see its iron staple hanging down from the center of the top. I should have taken more pictures!!

There are sliding dovetails in the frame members that need them. The chest is quite strong. Sorry about the out of focus shot of my label. I find taking pictures very tiring,and want to get it over with!

On top of the chest is a quarter sawed white oak machinist's chest I am making. You can also make out the set of Medieval stamps I posted a few days ago.The chest is sitting on an elevated aquarium stand that happened to fit it fairly well. I need To be able to roll it out of the way because it is in front of a bench I store things in.

Bruce Page
09-15-2010, 7:16 PM
George, what is the function of the tapered block on the case side?

george wilson
09-15-2010, 7:24 PM
An iron or rope handle would go through it. The rope got damaged carrying the very heavy chest,and I haven't replaced it. Ought to forge out some iron ones.

Asher Langton
09-15-2010, 7:37 PM
That's a great-looking tool chest, George. Thanks for sharing it. The mahogany is beautiful on the drawer fronts.

george wilson
09-18-2010, 10:00 AM
It's gotten a little beat up,like the old ones(but not nearly as bad!) Been moved several times. But,the nice parts inside are still fine.

Van Huskey
09-20-2010, 2:55 PM
Very nice George, thanks for sharing.

Paul McGaha
09-20-2010, 2:57 PM
Beautiful George.