PDA

View Full Version : My Gouges for spirals,G.Wilson Mkr.

george wilson
09-15-2010, 6:09 PM
This is a quick and dirty set of graduated special purpose gouges I made for quickly stamping out the beginnings of spirals.

They were easy to make. I just drilled holes in drill rod,formed the outsides of the gouges and the bolsters,and ground and filed them in half to make them into gouges.

You could make these on your wood lathe if it runs slowly enough to not heat up the drill rod until it suddenly hardens. I think about 200 RPM or less would be o.k.. I suggest W1 drill rod for these if you are using a wood lathe,as it will be the hardest to cause it to accidentally harden while drilling it.

The largest gouge is only 1/2" outside dia. All you need is a tail stock chuck held in the headstock(a 1/2" chuck,of course). You could just file the outside shape of the gouges with a bastard file,followed by a fine file as the gouges rotate.

I haven't polished these except on the outside. I left the tempering colors on the gouges.

The diameter of these range from 1/2" to about 1/16". You would have to buy a selection of drill rods if you are doing this with a wood lathe. With a metal lathe,you can just turn the drill rod down as you go smaller. The thickness of the gouge's walls is about 3/64".

Their mahogany handles are their best feature,but they are quite sharp,and handy for their purpose. I made them on my special automatic tuning peg lathe that I took months to build from scratch- blocks of steel and brass.

When making small carvings,like on the stock of a flintlock rifle,or anything small,these can be used to stamp out spirals efficiently and accurately. Then,carve them out 3 dimensional like a violin scroll.

I WAS HASTY IN STAMPING the sample spiral. I took a lot of pictures today,and my back was killing me.

You get the idea,though. Please excuse this,and my other bad photography. I have a small Canon. The button is hard to push,and I always shake the camera when I push it.

Jim Rimmer
09-15-2010, 9:33 PM
George:

I haven't been commenting on your posts but have been reading and enjoying them. Lots of beautiful work.

Thansk for all the posts.

Russell Sansom
09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Those are wonderful, George. Is there a general rule for laying out the spiral, or do you just do it by eye?

george wilson
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Just by eye. I find 3,or whatever works well for the spiral,do it on scrap wood,then for real. I was in a hurry today,and didn't get the spiral real perfect.

Jonathan McCullough
09-15-2010, 11:39 PM
When pricing carving tools in catalogs, I've often wondered if this would be a more economical alternative. You could create quite a respectable set of smaller sizes in a good variety of sweeps by cutting the things down into thirds or maybe even quarters. But the task of cutting those smaller ones in half or thirds accurately is a bit intimidating. Did you mostly just file them down?

I see also that you tapered the tang-ends--that's a lot of metal to hork off. Did you just use the compound and then knock off the edges with a file?

Finally, automatic peg-tuning lathe?

You should write a book: Zen and the Art of Hand-Crafted Tools.

george wilson
09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I think I just filed them down. I did use the compound to taper the gouges.

Long time ago I mentioned my little automatic lathe. It's so dirty that I'd need a parts washer to get it decent to show,and it's pretty heavy for my old back. I will see what I can do about getting it photogenic. It was a major project at the time,with minimal lathe and very small milling machine to use.

Jonathan McCullough
09-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Don't hurt your back on our account! Just curious about the concept. You use a patterned cutter of some sort?

Brian Ashton
09-16-2010, 7:13 AM
so simple they're genius. Definitely ones to copy

Rick Markham
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Just by eye. I find 3,or whatever works well for the spiral,do it on scrap wood,then for real. I was in a hurry today,and didn't get the spiral real perfect.

Thanks for posting all of this George, I haven't had all the time I would have liked to get through all of your posts but I have been enjoying it.

It's kind of good you didn't do a perfect job on the spiral, I can see how you constructed it, by the individual tool marks, I can also see how it would go together perfectly.