PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ebay tubes

Ernest Martin
09-15-2010, 4:25 PM
Has any body tried putting one of those ebay laser tubes in say an old Epilog Summit Machine. Just Wandering as those are a lot cheaper.

Viktor Voroncov
09-15-2010, 4:36 PM
What do you mean? Chinese glass inside Epilog???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Larry Bratton
09-15-2010, 6:12 PM
I tried it and got a message on the menu screen...What! are u crazy?

Dan Hintz
09-15-2010, 7:41 PM
Ernest,

Long ans skinny? This will not work. Epilog, ULS, Trotec, etc. use low-voltage, RF-excited metal tubes. The Chinese glass tubes are high-voltage direct drive. Both require vastly different power supplies.

AL Ursich
09-15-2010, 8:20 PM
I tried it and got a message on the menu screen...What! are u crazy?:eek:

Good One....:D

Ernest Martin
09-15-2010, 8:26 PM
Ok I know I'm Stingy but what if I replaced the Power Supply. But on Second thought I might be getting close to having my tube rebuilt

Richard Rumancik
09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
If you replaced the power supply, then you could theoretically get it to lase but your main board/controller in the laser is expecting a certain type of interface between the control electronics and the tube. You can't assume that the Epilog controller or any Brand X laser system would be able to trigger the glass tube properly. Different laser tubes will require different interfaces.

I know that GCC Mercury series was originally designed with Synrad tubes but they decided at one point to offer Deos tubes - but that required different firmware because the tubes did not interface exactly the same way. But a glass tube is quite a different thing than a sealed CO2 RF-excited tube. That would probably require some different electronics.