PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Josh Kandiko
12-16-2004, 9:09 AM
Hi all,

If you all remember, I've been contemplating whether I need a jointer or not. Well, with all of these fantastic deals going on, I couldn't let a few items that would round out my shop pass me by. So I went to Amazon and got a Delta 22-580 13" planer with 25 off the regular price, plus the 30 mail-in rebate. So roughly it came ot 280 bucks for this planer. So, after work tonight, I plan on going to Home Depot and Sears to see what they have for jointers. I do like the jointer from Sears that is 320 bucks right now after the 20% discount. But I heard that the Ridgid has a better fence. The Ridgid is regularly 30 dollars more (at least I think) at Home Depot, so I'll check that out tonight and see what's up. So, I'll need to make a decision tonight whether to go with the Craftsman or the Ridgid. I know that many don't like the Craftsman, but with that price its hard to beat. But if the Ridgid is only 30 more, and that is the regular price, I will probably end up getting that one. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

Carl Eyman
12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
A few years ago FWW ran a test of 6" jointers. They did not even include my Craftsman model in the test, because they said its table was too short. I've forgotten the actual numbers, but my jointer had a table 6" shorter than the shortest table they tested. They said that was too short to be any good. So, imho, if one table is longer than the other I'd go for it.

Josh Kandiko
12-16-2004, 1:06 PM
I've also given thought to the Grizzly. Being 325 plus 40 for shipping, it comes to around 380 I think. Is the Grizzly worth 60 bucks more than the Craftsman or 20 bucks more than the Ridgid?

Thanks
Josh

John Miliunas
12-16-2004, 1:33 PM
Is the Grizzly worth 60 bucks more than the Craftsman or 20 bucks more than the Ridgid?

Thanks
Josh

Yes on C-man, maybe on the Ridgid. IMHO, of course. :) :cool:

Josh Kandiko
12-16-2004, 1:33 PM
Allright guys,

I couldn't resist. You guys pushed me into buying something better than Ridgid and Craftsman. I bought the Grizzly that was on sale for 325. It was backordered, but hopefully I'll have it by the new year. I hope setup goes ok. I've read some people having problems setting up the cabinet. We'll have to see. Any suggestions or advice on setting up the jointer?

Thanks
Josh

John Miliunas
12-16-2004, 1:40 PM
Good for you, Josh. :) Now, which one did you get? The "Z", which is on sale for $325.00? If so, you shouldn't have any issues with the cabinet. Its sibbling (regular priced $325.00) is the one which requires cabinet setup/assembly. Your lower cabinet should be all set, except maybe for the motor and, of course, setting the business end of the iron on top. :cool:

Rob Russell
12-16-2004, 1:44 PM
Josh,

When it comes to machinery, don't sweat the small stuff. Small stuff is a difference of $20 or $60 on a machine you only want to buy once.

If you can swing it financially and have the room, buy an 8" jointer with 6' of infeed/outfeed table. You'll be glad you spent the extra $300 or so on something like the Grizz 1018. Even if it means waiting 6 months before you buy, having the extra table length is something you will use over and over. The ability to face joint an 8" board is also really nice, so you don't need to rip 7"-8" wide boards down before you joint them.

I've been through the machinery upgrade path and, trust me, you don't want to buy something and then turn around to replace it later on if you don't have to. It's time, hassle and some money that's better spent on the purchase first time around. Granted, I couldn't afford what I've upgraded into now when I bought my earlier machinery. An example of the upgrade stuff I'm thinking of was table saw (Craftsman to Unisaw to current saw).

I do realize that you may be on a tight budget - we all have some sort of financial constraint on what we buy for tools/machinery. Still, I strongly suggest that you consider the 8".

If the 8" isn't possible, go with the Grizz 1182Z on special for $325.

Rob

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2004, 1:48 PM
A couple thoughts. A fence on a jointer is not a big deal like a tablesaw fence, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. The longer the infeed and outfeed tables, the better on a jointer. Other than that, they are pretty simple machines, get the one in the color you like in the price range you can afford.

Donnie Raines
12-16-2004, 2:30 PM
A couple thoughts. A fence on a jointer is not a big deal like a tablesaw fence, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. The longer the infeed and outfeed tables, the better on a jointer. Other than that, they are pretty simple machines, get the one in the color you like in the price range you can afford.

I think that the fence on the jointer is equally important to the fence on a table saw. The c-man fence is mounted at one end to the main base of the jointer...this allows for way to much deflection. Next time your in the C-man area at Sears...take a look...you can move it with your hand to and fro. When you are in need of a nice true edge...I would say that this is truely important. A jointer fence that is mounted and secured from the center has little no deflection.

Tom LaRussa
12-16-2004, 5:43 PM
So, after work tonight, I plan on going to Home Depot and Sears to see what they have for jointers. I do like the jointer from Sears that is 320 bucks right now after the 20% discount. But I heard that the Ridgid has a better fence. The Ridgid is regularly 30 dollars more (at least I think) at Home Depot, so I'll check that out tonight and see what's up.
Josh,

Have you thought about the Delta, which is on sale at Lowes for $279? http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=60009-32764-JT360

Josh Kandiko
12-16-2004, 5:56 PM
Hi all,

I did check out the Delta but some odd reason preferred the heavier duty Grizzly.

Quick question. I consider myself a pretty able guy (I worked at FedEx for 2 years as a package loader and unloader) and am wondering what kind of boxes Grizzly is going to send these packages in? Are they multiple hundred pound packages or is it one two hundred and fifteen pound package? If it's the one, I'll get a friend, but if it is two seperate boxes, I can lift those myself. Also, should I pick the box up from the freight factory or have them drop it off. The email said that if I pick it up at the shipping yard, they can put it in my truck, otherwise if they deliver, they are not obligated to help me get the package off the delivery truck (or so it seemed in the email). What should I do?

Thanks
Josh

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2004, 6:24 PM
My grizzly 8" came in two boxes, total of over 400 lbs. The base was in a cardboard box and I was able to slide it off the back of the P/U no problem. The tables were in a very flimsy wooden crate (if you can call it that) and I definitely needed two people just because of the unwieldly length.

Scott Parks
12-16-2004, 6:34 PM
When I bought my table saw, the freight company called to schedule delivery. Oak Harbor Frieght, in my area. I asked how it was coming, and they told me lift gate and pallet jack. The driver unloaded and wheeled it into my garage. He even helped me get it off the pallet and took the pallet with him so I wouldn't have to get rid of it. My suggestion, ask the freight co.