PDA

View Full Version : These flutes are not for the Pied Piper!!

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 3:59 PM
Couple of champagne flutes from quilted maple and African Blackwood.
6" tall, the walls are just over 1/16" thick. The pic really does not show the chatoyance in these very well.

They have just a couple of coats of spray lacquer, and they will get MANY more, plus being rubbed out and leveled several times.

These are "part #2" of the next turning for those that may have seen the other "rippled" piece. There are 2 or 3 of you guys that already know about this piece, and you are all sworn to secrecy!!;):D

BTW, forgive the quick photo setup with the paper shop towels and flash!! Since these are not truly "the finished piece" I didn't set up the photo tent.

bob svoboda
09-15-2010, 4:08 PM
Very nice flutes John. Probably not as well as in real life, but I see a lot of chatoyance in the pic's.

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2010, 4:23 PM
Sweet... makes me thirsty just looking at them. BTW, I happen to like the paper towels...

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2010, 4:58 PM
You're making a reproduction of a stage set for the Lawrence Welk Show!!!

Paul Douglass
09-15-2010, 5:33 PM
I just don't get it John. I bought the same lathe you have and my turnings still don't look any where near as nice as yours! Guess it must be the tools I use, I can't think of anything else it could be .......

Roger Chandler
09-15-2010, 5:36 PM
Very elegant JK! I love the contrast of the stem with the main body. Very pretty wood!

Allen Neighbors
09-15-2010, 5:38 PM
Great turnings, John! That wood grain is really popping out! I'm ready to see the finished group!!

Gotta be an Ice Bucket w/Champagne Bottle.........

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 8:54 PM
John - that Maple is amazing! Your photo captured enough of the chatoyance to show everyone that these are beauties!

Very nice work on making these a matched pair! NOT an easy task!

Thanks for the project update!

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 9:02 PM
Thanks, guys! Not used to having two otherwise complete turnings that would normally stand on their own, and still be nowhere near finished with this project!
You're making a reproduction of a stage set for the Lawrence Welk Show!!!David, sorry - I am not old enough to recall that show, but I do remember my parents talking about it!!!;):rolleyes::D:D And, at 27, I am sure you don't either!:rolleyes::cool:

I just don't get it John. I bought the same lathe you have and my turnings still don't look any where near as nice as yours! Guess it must be the tools I use, I can't think of anything else it could be .......Paul, don't underestimate your turnings! Thinking positive is the better part of success!

Great turnings, John! That wood grain is really popping out! I'm ready to see the finished group!!

Gotta be an Ice Bucket w/Champagne Bottle.........Hmmmmm.....no, but not a bad plan!!:D

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
"I am not old enough to recall that show, but I do remember my parents talking about it!!! And, at 27, I am sure you don't either!"

True. But haven't you ever seen the PBS re-runs? they can be very... um... er... oh I better not say it. Bound to offend someone!

David Christopher
09-15-2010, 10:48 PM
very nice pieces John

gary Zimmel
09-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Simple but elegant. It's always a pleasure to see what comes off your lathe John...

Dave MacArthur
09-16-2010, 12:20 AM
I really like those. I'm surprised you say they're 6", they look taller.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Couple of champagne flutes from quilted maple and African Blackwood.
6" tall, the walls are just over 1/16" thick. The pic really does not show the chatoyance in these very well.

They have just a couple of coats of spray lacquer, and they will get MANY more, plus being rubbed out and leveled several times.

These are "part #2" of the next turning for those that may have seen the other "rippled" piece. There are 2 or 3 of you guys that already know about this piece, and you are all sworn to secrecy!!;):D

BTW, forgive the quick photo setup with the paper shop towels and flash!! Since these are not truly "the finished piece" I didn't set up the photo tent.

John,
For a second there I thought someone had pulled his socks up to high :D :eek:

There must be something in my coffee :rolleyes: or else it's getting toooo lathe or something :p

I do like the goblets John quite sleek :)

Baxter Smith
09-16-2010, 7:55 AM
Pretty cool. I am looking forward to seeing the rest!

Ken Glass
09-16-2010, 8:13 AM
John,
The quilted Maple with the Black wood shows the maples quilting very well. These are very nice. Post again when they are finished.

charlie knighton
09-16-2010, 9:18 AM
very nice, nice to see some usable work that still is art

Curt Fuller
09-16-2010, 6:58 PM
From the header, I was expecting something more like a Native American flute or something. But those are very nice. That's really some nice maple.

Cathy Schaewe
09-16-2010, 7:01 PM
Nothing like keeping us in suspense!
Those are beautiful!

Frank Van Atta
09-16-2010, 7:31 PM
Great set of goblets. I especially like the smooth transition from stem to goblet. I'll have to give that a try . . .

John Keeton
09-16-2010, 8:17 PM
Although these are merely a component of the overall project, I do appreciate the kind comments!! I hope you ultimately like the finished project.

John,
For a second there I thought someone had pulled his socks up to high :D :eek:Leo, you have a keen eye and a quick mind!! I really never perceived that image, but now I can't get it out of my head! You may have tainted my entire project.:D:D

I really like those. I'm surprised you say they're 6", they look taller.Thanks, Dave. They needed to be rather petite for the scale of this project.

Nothing like keeping us in suspense!
Those are beautiful!Cathy, this project doesn't involve real technical turning, but there has been a lot of thought put into the symbolism - hope to be able to work on it this weekend, though I am at the point where some carving is necessary, and have started another turning as a diversion!:o

Great set of goblets. I especially like the smooth transition from stem to goblet. I'll have to give that a try . . .Thanks, Frank. I doubt I would ever do goblets/flutes like this as a stand alone turning - though they were really simple to do.

David E Keller
09-16-2010, 8:24 PM
I've held off on commenting on this post because I've been trying to imagine how these fit with the ripped piece. The only thing I could come up with involved suspending them over the ripples piece with some kind of acrylic to make it look like they were pouring their contents into the rippled surface... Sort of like those plastic beer mugs that stand up on a 'stream' of plastic beer so that they look like they are being poured out.

I'm sure that's not even remotely similar to what you've got in mind, so I'll just wait until the project is finished.

Nice flutes!

John Keeton
09-16-2010, 8:27 PM
David, you are so close it is scary!!!!;)

Karl Card
09-16-2010, 8:38 PM
John those are very nice. I have to admit though when I started looking at them the first thing I think of is what other wood could be substituted. I am thinking along the lines of blackwood and redheart.
Oh me I think I need to go buy some more wood...

James Roberts
09-16-2010, 8:44 PM
Nicely done John, quite elegant.

steven carter
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
John,

Excellent job, so now you add flautist to your ever expanding list of titles!
I think the blackwood was a good choice to contrast the quilted maple, and the joining of the two was superbly done. The paper towels made a pretty good quick background, I usually use a cotton towel when in a hurry, but may change over to paper.

Steve

George Guadiane
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Drop Dead Gorgeous!

Rob Cunningham
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Beautiful work John. The figure in the maple is stunning. They look much taller than 6"

Ron Bontz
09-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Well done! Nothing like a cliff hanger to boot. I guess I'll go back to my cave now, look at my nice mustard and wish I had your talent. After all. Somebody has to be the bottom half of the class.:)