PDA

View Full Version : A few Bell type Christmas Ornaments

Curt Fuller
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
These are one of those projects you can make from your scrap box. These are all about 6" x 1.75", give or take. L to r Walnut & Maple, Canarywood & Walnut, Box Elder burl and Mesquite, Russian Olive burl and Walnut.

Curt Fuller
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
And a pic for size reference.

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Curt those are beautiful. I have got a few of those to get done when I can.

brian watts
09-15-2010, 4:37 AM
very nice.. like them all..

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 6:26 AM
Curt, those are really well done! I love the two walnut ones - particularly the last one.

Question, did you tenon the handle into the bell? And, did you jamb chuck them to remove the bottom and drill a hole?

Jack Mincey
09-15-2010, 6:29 AM
They all look great. I might have to try one some day. I love getting ideas from fellow creekers.
Thanks for posting,
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 9:23 AM
Curt - beautiful work as always! Sure like your style! Pretty wood combinations but the Russian Olive burl and Walnut really standout! Reminds me of the one you gave me last year! Still love it and have it displayed on our mantle!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Paul Douglass
09-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Really nice. Looks like a fun project.

Roger Chandler
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I really like those bells! Great use of scrap wood.........thanks for the inspiration!

David E Keller
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Beautiful... Such a graceful form. I nominate you as the king of ornaments.

Scott Hackler
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Curt, those look great. I really like the natural edge versions and the size is really nice as well.

Jim Underwood
09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice looking ornaments Curt!

Thanks for posting. I made a few of these the other day, and didn't like my "finials". I figure it's because they're too short and knobby...:(

I'll put some longer "handles" on 'em next time.

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2010, 1:37 PM
Very nice! Very nice indeed... Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a "working" bell using a "tonewood"...?

Jim Underwood
09-15-2010, 2:55 PM
Very nice! Very nice indeed... Now I'm wondering if anyone has even made a "working" bell using a "tonewood"...?

Funny you should mention it...

This weekend I went down to the local Hobby Lobby and got a box of.... "tonewood" just for this project. Now my bells sound kinda jingly...:D

Allen Neighbors
09-15-2010, 5:53 PM
Those are great! ( looks like an elf nibbled on a couple of them...) :)

Curt Fuller
09-16-2010, 6:48 PM
Thanks to all of you for the comments!

Question, did you tenon the handle into the bell? And, did you jamb chuck them to remove the bottom and drill a hole? John, yes there is a 1/4" tenon on the handle that goes into a hole in the bell. But I turn the handles by first getting one end of the wood round and then flipping it and holding onto that with the small spigot jaws. I use the revolving center at the tail end. When I'm done, I use a very small drill bit held in a piece of wood and drill the handle in the dimple left by the center. I then use a parting tool to make the tenon that fits in the bell and then part it off.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a "working" bell using a "tonewood"...?
I'm not sure what tonewood is but I've made some from very dense wood that do have a little more of a "ring" than the standard "clunk". But anymore I don't put any clapper in them.

Baxter Smith
09-16-2010, 7:20 PM
Very nice Curt!

Ken Hill
09-16-2010, 7:24 PM
Im digging them all, but love the NE

Pete Jordan
09-16-2010, 7:44 PM
I just love these!

James Roberts
09-16-2010, 8:54 PM
Very nice Curt, have you thought of adding a turned clapper to these?

Doh! I knew I should have read the rest of the post, the part where you said you didn't put clappers in them anymore.

Curt Fuller
09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Very nice Curt, have you thought of adding a turned clapper to these?
I've tried turned wooden clappers, wood, glass, and brass beads, little jingle bells. They're really hard for me, with my big clutzy fingers to hang in there to start with and it's hard to find something that works well to hang them with. And then they just make a dull clunk anyway. Even the little brass jingle bells are barely audible. So I've just decided it's not worth the effort.

Matt Ranum
09-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Beautiful... Such a graceful form. I nominate you as the king of ornaments.

+1

Those are really nice, a classy look to them.

Kathy Marshall
09-17-2010, 1:16 AM
I just love those! They're beautiful!

William Hutchinson
09-17-2010, 6:39 AM
Great looking project that will adorn any tree or abode with the holiday spirit.