PDA

View Full Version : Did you see Woodpecker's email today????

Jim O'Dell
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
The have a new lift called the sidewinder. It has a crank handle on a flex cable. You mount the crank handle on the outside, presumably, of your RT stand. No mussing or fussing with the lift crank! And they have an add on to the PRLv1 and Quick Lift!!!!! Priced at 59.95. Might be a good add on! Jim.

Tim Null
09-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I did. I have a Quick Lift and this would be a great add on. Definitely tempting.

Van Huskey
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Saw it at IWF, way to much sticktion for me and this was a clean lift, it could only get worse in use. I couldn't remotely make small changes without overshooting every time back and forth around the point I wanted to stop.

Tim Null
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
That is a bit disappointing. It is such a good idea.

Lee Bidwell
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah Jim, I saw that. I was all set to pull the trigger on the PRL closeout for 199. My plan was to get the PRL and the adapter for the PC890, so I can use the 890 router I have for now while I keep an eye out for a deal on the big PC router. The "sidewinder" can be had for 230 with a coupon code, but that price only gets you the lift configured for the 890. This eliminates the ability to upgrade routers in the future. The bigger sidewinder is more than I want to spend. So, my question is, will I regret being tied to the 2 1/4 hp routers?

thanks,

Lee

Lee Bidwell
09-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Saw it at IWF, way to much sticktion for me and this was a clean lift, it could only get worse in use. I couldn't remotely make small changes without overshooting every time back and forth around the point I wanted to stop.

Hey Van,
Saw this as I was typing my other post. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll just stick to my original plan to get the PRL.

Lee

Van Huskey
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
So, my question is, will I regret being tied to the 2 1/4 hp routers?

thanks,

Lee

Depends on what you do with the router table BUT I personally think the best way to go is a 3 1/4hp motor in a lift. I think if it is an economic issue get a 3 + hp plunge router that has good above table control. Then over time save up for a top end lift and Milwaukee or PC motor, then when you pull the plunger out you still have a great router to use handheld.

The again some peoples uses for a router table would be covered by a mid-sized router.

Dave Lehnert
09-15-2010, 1:51 AM
Was it Norm who had that type of thing on his router table?

Jim O'Dell
09-15-2010, 7:28 PM
That is disappointing Van. I'm not sure it would work with my setup would be the only thing. Sure looks neat though. Jim.

Van Huskey
09-15-2010, 9:06 PM
That is disappointing Van. I'm not sure it would work with my setup would be the only thing. Sure looks neat though. Jim.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, others may have a different view and it could have been and issue with the one at IWF, but I would have thought they would have a good example there for the "world" to see.

Peter Quinn
09-15-2010, 9:39 PM
As soon as I saw that I thought, "A little more work and they have a motorized lift there...", but I won't buy one, because I frankly need the exercise. I'll take the stairs over an elevator and stick to a hand crank.:rolleyes:

Interesting idea there, sorry to hear its flawed. I've been stuck a few times trying to raise a bit during a set up where I couldn't do so with the test piece in the way of the crank handle on my lift, and thought "If this were only only out front like a shaper or molder." So they did it, but in a speedometer sort of way. Maybe they will keep the concept and improve the implementation?

glenn bradley
09-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Van, thanks for the hands-on report. I wondered about cable spring under torque.

Tom Rick
09-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Something does not fit here.

I have a PRL-2 and have to say that the folks who made this well engineered lift would have not put this new feature on the market if it performed poorly.

From the email I got:

"Introducing the new Woodpeckers Side Winder Router Lift. After building high quality router lifts for almost ten years, we're rolling out what we feel is the best lift yet. And for those of you who already own a Woodpeckers PRL or Quick Lift, we even offer a Side Crank Accessory that you can add to your existing lift. The latest and greatest in patented router lift technology is the basis of the new Woodpeckers Side Winder. This state-of-the-art router lift combines Woodpeckers' patented quick lift design with a side crank assembly for fine adjustment. Now you can raise your router bit above the table in seconds with just a 1/4 turn of the lift wrench, change router bits, lower it to an approximate position and fine tune with the side crank to a resolution of .001" per scale increment or 1/32nd per rotation."

And a photo of what is being discussed:

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_side_winder.jpg

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 1:17 AM
Something does not fit here.

I have a PRL-2 and have to say that the folks who made this well engineered lift would have not put this new feature on the market if it performed poorly.

I will just simply ask, have you touched one. I am perfectly willing to accept I am more finicky than someone else but I saw/felt what I saw/felt. As I turned it each way it jumped more than one gradiant on the scale, from which I made one conclusion and one assumption. The conclusion was that it was not for me, the assumption was it was too flexible to work correctly doing a stopped cut under power. If anyone thinks I have some issue with WP, I would point out I have 3 router lifts, each one of them is a WP and I have a 4th in transit to me also a WP and it was purchased after IWF. It may have been a flaw in the one they showed, it may have been a pre-production sample, I did not ask, but it any case it was the biggest woodworker show in the world. The action felt to me like the Mast-R-Lift Excel from JessEm with its belt drive side crank.

The reality is the gradiants are .001 of an inch so hoping around one of these gradiants is truely a non issue in the VAST majority of woodworking but the feel to me was sloppy enough to turn me off. For me to buy one or 4 as the case might be it would have to feel like it was a direct connection, it just did not.

Tom Rick
09-16-2010, 6:27 AM
The reality is the gradiants are .001 of an inch so hoping around one of these gradiants is truely a non issue in the VAST majority of woodworking but the feel to me was sloppy enough to turn me off. For me to buy one or 4 as the case might be it would have to feel like it was a direct connection, it just did not.

Yep- that would drive me mad as well.

I still don't see WP putting the thing out to air when the thing acts like this, and stating that the fine tuning is to .001 with crank when in fact it is a guessing game as to where the drive will jump to with torque.

Not second guessing your experience- just does not fit for me that WP aired this product with this sort of functional problem.

Justin Killebrew
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello Everybody,

My name is Justin Killebrew. I am the VP of Woodpeckers and was at the IWF show where the new Side Winder was debuted. It's been a while since I've posted on here but a few of our customers who own the lift have emailed and called me in response to this current thread and were asking if they should expect the "jumpy" feeling in their lift later down the road, since they have not noticed it yet.

At IWF this year, we displayed the Side Winder for the very first time. It was a pre-production model, but nevertheless, was a functional model. There is a brake on the lift's crank handle. If it is not fully released, it will result in that "jumpy" action. Over the course of the show, many attendees set the brake and attempted to use the side crank which ground into the bearing surface of the crank. I didn't realize this untill later on, but all it took was a quick cleaning of that surface and it ran smooth as silk.

Van, I'm sure you did feel that "jumpy" feeling, and being picky and demanding is something that we pride ourselves on and can truly appreciate. It was purely a result of what I previously stated regarding the bearing surface. Sorry your first impression of the lift was of an unintentionally abused unit.

Jerome Hanby
09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Was it Norm who had that type of thing on his router table?
The router table that American Woodworker did years ago had this type of feature (I tracked down the issue on the 'bay)

Matt Meiser
09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
This almost makes me regret choosing the PRLV2 over the PRL.

Justin Killebrew
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Matt,

We are currently working on a retrofit for the V-2. It just wasn't quite as easy to do as the other lifts we have made.

Van Huskey
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Hello Everybody,

My name is Justin Killebrew. I am the VP of Woodpeckers and was at the IWF show where the new Side Winder was debuted. It's been a while since I've posted on here but a few of our customers who own the lift have emailed and called me in response to this current thread and were asking if they should expect the "jumpy" feeling in their lift later down the road, since they have not noticed it yet.

At IWF this year, we displayed the Side Winder for the very first time. It was a pre-production model, but nevertheless, was a functional model. There is a brake on the lift's crank handle. If it is not fully released, it will result in that "jumpy" action. Over the course of the show, many attendees set the brake and attempted to use the side crank which ground into the bearing surface of the crank. I didn't realize this untill later on, but all it took was a quick cleaning of that surface and it ran smooth as silk.

Van, I'm sure you did feel that "jumpy" feeling, and being picky and demanding is something that we pride ourselves on and can truly appreciate. It was purely a result of what I previously stated regarding the bearing surface. Sorry your first impression of the lift was of an unintentionally abused unit.

Thank you for your post Justin! It did two things for me personally, one it prevents me from second guessing myself and two I am honestly comfortable ordering one of the "add ons" to try out. I am actually glad two of my lifts are PRLs (instead of all 4 being version 2) so that I can use one of these.

Matt Meiser
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Matt,

We are currently working on a retrofit for the V-2. It just wasn't quite as easy to do as the other lifts we have made.

Great--can't wait to see it.

Mike Goetzke
09-16-2010, 3:28 PM
This almost makes me regret choosing the PRLV2 over the PRL.

Me too - was thinking the same thing!

I really like my V-2 and paid a good hunk of change for it, but, have hit the micro adjustment limit stops a couple of times. Plus, it's not a problem with small bits, but, larger mass bits like rail/stile, panel raiser... I find I need to lock down the fine adjustment wheel with the set screw or else the lift will slowly move downward. Not a big deal but the lift was originally advertised as tool free.

Mike

Gary Muto
09-17-2010, 7:12 AM
It's great to see the manufacturers participation on this site!

Will Overton
09-17-2010, 9:01 AM
So far I don't see a need for this on the V2. However, being a gadget junky I'll probably buy one when it becomes available. :cool:

Richard Hummel
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello all. This is Rich at Woodpeckers. After hearing of this problem and talking to Justin, I took another look at the actual production units to see if anything was amiss. I discovered that the unit that went to IWF was actually not assembled the same way the production units are. The production units are assembled in such a way that there is an extra 1/8" clearance for the brake screw. In addition, if the screw were to grind into the face of the nut, once it's backed off the scarring wouldn't come close to dragging on the handle. None the less, I know we can't make everyone happy, we do try. Don't hesitate to shoot us an email or call if you find something on any of our tools that isn't right.

Matt Meiser
09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
So far I don't see a need for this on the V2. However, being a gadget junky I'll probably buy one when it becomes available. :cool:

I've got one--since all the adjustments on the PRLV2 are on the front right corner of the plate, they can be covered by a featherboard and/or power feeder. At least I recently ran into that with a setup I did for a bunch of trim. I had set the bit just a hair low and ran everything, then wanted to run a cleanup pass. Not a huge deal but the crank would sure be nice.

Richard and Justin: I don't think you even have to be able to do the gross adjustment with the crank to make an upgrade worthwhile--just having it mimic the thumb wheel would be handy. Maybe that could keep it simple?

Tom Walz
09-17-2010, 2:50 PM
My name is Tom Walz and my company sells Woodpecker.

First, let me say that Van Husky is 100% correct and made his point very clearly and well. That was an advanced prototype for the show. It had also been played with a bit.

We are very impressed with Woodpecker products and Woodpecker people. We would like to get a couple production models in the hands of actual users. Since there is this kind of interest I thought I would donate one or two to be used as the moderators and members wished.

I have emailed the moderators and am happy to let them handle it or do whatever anyone wishes.

Tom

Sanjeev Agarwal
09-17-2010, 3:00 PM
I just bought a PRL v2 and am not happy with the thumbwheel and am considering swapping with another lift. It takes 7-8 pushes of the thumbwheel to move it 1 revolution (1/16") so to move the bit 1/4" you are pushing it 30 times. I usually set the zero of the bit with the plate of the lift on my Jessem and then use the crank and know exactly the height of the bit so expect to use the thumbwheel a lot. I am also concerned about the 3/4 max travel of the bit as there is no way to know where you are on that scale when the router is in the lift and when you will hit the limit.

The side winder looks like a good solution to me but i wonder why they did away with the crank. They could have both. I feel the original PRL with the side winder may be better then this new side winder lift. the only difference i see is the quick lift (which with the sinde winder handle may not be such a big deal - one less tool to take out to bring the bit up). Am i missing something?

Ron Bontz
09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Well I must say having bought my third PRL a couple of months ago I am sorry to see them go by the way side. I have used them now for about 9 years. Between my shaper and PRLs I can't remember the last time I had to buy any moldings. I definitely liked the scale marks on the newer ones. It tempted me to replace my other 1/16th just for that. But alas the pocket book speaks. None the less just a well built tool I won't stop using any time soon. :)

Jim O'Dell
09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
snip

The side winder looks like a good solution to me but i wonder why they did away with the crank. They could have both. I feel the original PRL with the side winder may be better then this new side winder lift. the only difference i see is the quick lift (which with the side winder handle may not be such a big deal - one less tool to take out to bring the bit up). Am i missing something?

With the side winder you will still crank like the original PRL was made to work, it's just that you don't have to pull out the crank handle to do it. Another convenience item. I'd like to see some sort of gear that would allow fewer turns be needed to get the bit up. But I think I'll go the way that others have and use a small battery powered drill to do this. Jim.

Richard Hummel
09-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I spent the weekend making an adaptor to convert the V2 Router Lift to a side crank type. It works well. The hitch is whether I can write comprehendable instructions. I'm looking for one or two beta testers. If you're interested, please contact me privately. You have to already own a V2 to qualify.

Rich w/Woodpeckers

Mike Goetzke
09-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I spent the weekend making an adaptor to convert the V2 Router Lift to a side crank type. It works well. The hitch is whether I can write comprehendable instructions. I'm looking for one or two beta testers. If you're interested, please contact me privately. You have to already own a V2 to qualify.

Rich w/Woodpeckers

I'll test one.

Mike

Tony Profera
09-20-2010, 4:24 PM

First, let me say that Van Husky is 100% correct and made his point very clearly and well. That was an advanced prototype for the show. It had also been played with a bit.

We are very impressed with Woodpecker products and Woodpecker people. We would like to get a couple production models in the hands of actual users. Since there is this kind of interest I thought I would donate one or two to be used as the moderators and members wished.

I have emailed the moderators and am happy to let them handle it or do whatever anyone wishes.

Tom

If you are looking for test subjects I would be very willing to test one of the new WP lifts. I am actually in the market for a new lift so this might be fortuitous. I have some degree of experience in the technical arena.

brian c miller
09-20-2010, 7:49 PM
I have a V2 sign me up as a tester... I have been following this thread for a few days.

Would the crank adjust over the 3/4 micro adjust range or the complete lift range?

Would the quick lift still work?

Alan Schaffter
09-20-2010, 11:39 PM
With the side winder you will still crank like the original PRL was made to work, it's just that you don't have to pull out the crank handle to do it. Another convenience item. I'd like to see some sort of gear that would allow fewer turns be needed to get the bit up. But I think I'll go the way that others have and use a small battery powered drill to do this. Jim.

Jim, that is a good idea. The output of the gear motor I connected to the 32 TPI lead screw of my WP Plunge Lift is about 260 RPM. That seems about right for both lift and set-on (with the tap of a switch).

I haven't seen the Sidewinder in person, but the description of the SW350/420 sounds like the crank is coupled 1:1 with a 32 TPI leadscrew. My unscientific armchair test indicates 100-120 RPM is a comfortable manual cranking speed. That would mean it would require a 2:1 or greater gear ratio to yield what I have now. It could have a push/push dual speed transmission like many planers use to change feed rates. Of course that means a more complex assembly with a greater chance of problems and, unfortunately, higher price. The Sidewinder crank price point is very reasonable. If I hadn't already motorized my lift I would buy and modify a Sidewinder to fit it.

Tim Null
09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I would be happy to test the adjuster on my Quick Lift.

glenn bradley
09-21-2010, 1:55 AM
I would be happy to test the adjuster on mr PRL-V1. How does it disengage the automatic carriage lock?

Gary Muto
09-21-2010, 7:00 AM

Tom

I'd be willing to be a product tester as well!!

Tom Walz
09-21-2010, 5:56 PM
Thank you, Folks.

I am going to get Woodpeckers involved in this to answer questions. I saw it at the show but I want to make sure we get you the correct answers.

Tom

Will Overton
09-22-2010, 5:55 PM
Now on the Woodpecker site ... crank for the V2 ... answers a couple of questions.

"A conversion would allow for fine adjustments from a side crank instead of the thumb wheel. The conversion increases micro adjustability from 3/4" to the entire travel range and complements the quick lift feature of the V2."

Matt Meiser
09-22-2010, 6:01 PM
Sweet! I sent Richard a PM to be a beta tester, but I might end up ordering one of the conversion kits in a couple weeks if I don't get picked.

(PS: Richard, Pick me! Pick me!)

Will Overton
09-22-2010, 6:09 PM
I sent him a message about 5 minutes after he posted. So far I haven't heard anything. I like the idea that it eliminates the 3/4" limitation on the fine adjustment.

Matt Meiser
09-22-2010, 6:26 PM
Same here!

Mike Heidrick
09-22-2010, 8:18 PM
Picture in the WP email of the V2 conversion looks like you loose the thumbwheel.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/broadcast_v2_to_sc_conversi.jpg

Matt Meiser
09-22-2010, 9:19 PM
I didn't notice that but I think the benefits are worth it. From the description, you still get to use the tool for fast gross adjustments or bit changes.

Mike Heidrick
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Having that crank might make adding a motor and making it button powered easier.

Matt Meiser
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Next weeks new product announcement?

Jay Runde
09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Received this in my email this evening:

V2 to Side Crank Conversion Kit
Those of you following our recent new product announcements may be aware that Woodpeckers has introduced a side crank router lift called the Side Winder in addition to a Side Crank Accessory for the older PRL and Quick Lifts. From the first hour of the broadcast we started receiving requests for a kit to convert V2 lifts to a side crank version.

Over the last week we worked on coming up with such a kit. The parts are complete and machined however the instructions are not. For those interested we're offering a $10 coupon for those willing to order in advance. We expect to be ready to ship the kits around the 15th of October and of course you won't be charged until we ship the product.

We're also offering a service where we'll do the conversion for you. The cost including parts and return shipping to you is $114.99 . It does not include the cost of shipping the unit back to us. You're responsible for the cost to ship the V2 to us. We can do the conversions beginning immediately. Please allow two weeks for turn around.

Part #

Sale Price

eCLUB Price

SAVE

Coupon Code

SCV2CONV

V2 to Side Crank Conversion Kit

$99.99

$89.99

$10

V2SC

SCV2SVC

V2 to Side Crank Conversion Service

$124.99

$114.99

$10

V2SC
http://www.woodpeck.com/v2sidecrank.html

brian c miller
09-25-2010, 1:10 PM
Talked with Rich @ Woodpeckers over the phone and this seems liked a nifty idea. It replaces the thumb wheel, gear box, and current adjustment post completely and replaces the unit witha 32 TPI lead screw.

He said the units are complete but the Assembly instructions are not started and it's a somewhat involved process. I'd like to get one but all told it's be a $400+ lift.

The only advantage that I can see is that it allow a full adjustment range from the side mounted crank.

my $.02

Tom Walz
09-30-2010, 4:52 PM
It has taken a few days to get this set up because everybody wanted to help and everybody was being polite. Richard Hummel is the Engineer who owns Woodpeckers and JustinK (for Killebrew) is the Vice President. Tom Walz owns carbideprocessors.com and sells Woodpeckers Tools (he is also an advertiser so this post is allowed).

In any case it will be a Sawmill Creek contest with prizes donated by Woodpeckers.

Also there were several discussions going on and I lost track of who was talking to whom. Some of you were talking about the conversion kit, some about the original unit and some about the prototype Richard Hummel is working on.

I counted twenty posters (not counting the Woodpecker people) and I thought I’d give them each a free tool as my part of this. Here are the names I came up with followed by the tools I am offering.

Alan Schaffter
Brian C Miller
Dave Lehnert
Gary Muto
Glenn Bradley
Jay Runde
Jerome Hanby
Jim O'dell
Lee Bidwell
Matt Meiser
Mike Goetzke
Mike Heidrick
Peter Quinn
Ron Bontz
Sanjeev Agarwal
Tim Null
Tom Rick
Tony Profera
Van Huskey
Will Overton
Your choice of one of the following:

1. Mini Square
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-MINISQUARE-%252d-Mini-Square.html

2. Gauge block
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-GB175-%252d-Gauge-Block%2C-Stainless-Steel.html

3. 24” ruler
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-WWR24-%252d-Woodworking-Rule-24%22.html

4. Router Bit Rack
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-BITRK18-%252d-Router-Bit-Rack-%252d-18%22.html

Conclusion:
1. One big drawing with prizes from Woodpeckers run by Sawmill Creek.
2. Free tools for everybody.

Please check out the tools and then email president@carbideprocessors.com and let me know which tool you want or send me a PM.

If you have any problems with any of this just let me know and we will change it.

Tom

Jerome Hanby
09-30-2010, 5:17 PM
Very generous Tom. Sending PM now.

Thanks!

Will Overton
09-30-2010, 6:10 PM
Wow!

Thanks Tom

Tom Rick
09-30-2010, 6:54 PM
A very nice and generous offer.
I purchased my PRL-V2 from your shop and could take the time now to say it is a very nice lift with first rate service.
Thanks for your efforts here.

Gary Muto
09-30-2010, 8:03 PM
Thank you for the generous offer!

Alan Schaffter
09-30-2010, 8:42 PM
Very generous. PM sent.

For those of you who may be wondering, the "Woodpecker's Side Crank Accessory" conversion kit will fit a Woodpeckers PlungeLift and likely other router lifts that use a 1/2" diameter leadscrew (or other size leadscrews if you supply your own coupling.)

I just finished testing one yesterday. Everything in the kit is very heavy duty (bullet proof!!!) and well made. It consists of a 3/8" thick ABS (?) mounting plate, a substantial dog bone shaped anodized aluminum crank arm with 1-1/4" diam. ball knob. The crank is locked via a large round knurled thumb screw located near the shaft hole. The crank attaches to a 1/2" steel pin via set screws. The pin goes through a mounting plate sleeve bearing and is then coupled to the bare steel flexible shaft by a large coupling and set screws. The 28" long by 3/8" diam. flex shaft makes a gradual 90 deg. bend (normally down) then passes through a stabilizer sleeve bearing mounted at the end of a heavy duty aluminum arm that is attached to the back of the mounting plate (see photo below or photos on WP website). The flex shaft then must make a gradual 180 deg. turn up where you connect the free end to the bottom of the lift's lead screw via a second coupling.

Comments on installation and operation. You must be careful to follow the instructions when locating and mounting the crank and running the cable, because it is not very forgiving of misalignment and excessive bends. They will result in increased cranking resistance. Also, the 28" flex shaft limits your mounting options. For testing I used a temporary mounting. A permanent mount would have required that I give up two drawers on one side of my New Yankee Workshop style router cabinet. Since longer flex shafts may result in cable whip, too much backlash or other problems, it is doubtful Woodpeckers will offer a longer shaft. Cranking resistance is slightly greater than when using my standard above-table crank. Since there is no gearing the number of cranks required to raise the bit is the same (the 32 TPI leadscrew requires a fair amount of cranking)

For those questioning the price of this unit, just go to the McMaster-Carr website and see what individual components would cost you! It is priced very reasonably.

Those of you who have seen photos of my NYW router table, know I motorized my Plunge Lift several years ago and don't need the Side Crank Accessory, so with the permission of SMC, I will donate mine to SMC to use as a fund raiser.

Keith or whoever is responsible for this type of action please send me a PM for guidance. Thanks.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2010, 9:26 PM
Unbelievable!!! WOW!!! Very very generous of you Tom. Thank you! I've emailed you my choice. It's something I've needed to complete my set up tools.
I've got the original PRL, and love it! Jim.

glenn bradley
09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Well this is just wonderful. PM sent and thanks a million.

Van Huskey
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Very generous, thank a bunch. PM sent.

Sanjeev Agarwal
10-01-2010, 8:13 PM
Thanks Tom. That is really generous of you! Did not know you were a Woodpeckers reseller but for sure do now. My next purchase will be from your site.

BTW, Justin was gracious enough to exchange my Incra PRLv2 with the Woodpeckers side winder. I will soon find out how it is!

Neil Brooks
10-01-2010, 8:49 PM
After clicking on the product info page for the PRL for the Milwaukee 5625 ... too many times ... I finally ordered it, a few days ago.

Seems V1 is being discontinued (they promise to keep a few years' of spare parts, in inventory), and/so ... they've knocked the price down by $130.

That got in slightly under my Resistance Level.

Should ship in a few weeks. Very much looking forward to using it.

My 5625 has been a GREAT dedicated table router, but ... lately -- despite being cleaned, and lightly lubed -- it's gotten a bit fussy about sticking within its own sleeve, making height adjustments a two-hand deal -- one on the knob/wrench, and the other on the motor head, to kind of make sure it's properly aligned.

Pretty sure the PRL will solve THAT problem, just as a bonus !

Lee Bidwell
10-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Wow Tom. Thanks so much for the generous offer. The Bondhaus hex wrenches from your last giveaway get used all the time, and I am really excited to get to use a quality rule for a change. This is much appreciated.

Lee

brian c miller
10-02-2010, 8:58 AM
Tom this is GREAT! I am very excited and also very grateful. I sent you a PM.

brian c miller
10-02-2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks Tom. That is really generous of you! Did not know you were a Woodpeckers reseller but for sure do now. My next purchase will be from your site.

BTW, Justin was gracious enough to exchange my Incra PRLv2 with the Woodpeckers side winder. I will soon find out how it is!

How did you swing this?

Paul Janders
10-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm hoping that Woodpeckers will post the conversion instructions for the PRLv2 on their website. I would like to see what the conversion process entails before making the purchase.

Mike Goetzke
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I caught this post just in time to be a "beta" tester. I have my router table built into the right wing of my TS. Mine like probably many others will NOT adapt to the stock mounting option. It only took 90 min. to attach including cutting the cable and changing my mind on where it would be best positioned. In my case I will only need to modify my plastic dust adapter for the cable otherwise I can change back to the thumb-wheel if wanted. Here are a couple final pics. If there is a lot of interest I can give a step/step:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1415.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1421.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1423.jpg

Mike Goetzke
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping that Woodpeckers will post the conversion instructions for the PRLv2 on their website. I would like to see what the conversion process entails before making the purchase.

You should wait for the official instructions from Woodpeckers but here is the first shot Richard Hummel sent me with a few edits by me - pretty easy but you need the right size hex wrenches and make sure they are seated deep because the screws take quite a bit of torque to loosen (I included my pics at the end):

1. Adjust lift to approximate middle of range.
2. Remove four screws holding gear box to plate (3/32" hex).
3. Remove the screw holding the post nearest the gear box (3/16" hex). You may need to hold the far end of the post to keep it from rotating to remove the screw..
4. Slide the carriage along with the gear box away from the plate.
5. Pivot the gear box end of the carriage so it is clear of the plate.
5.1 Remove the spring from the lift wrench. Use a 2mm hex wrench to loosen the set screw in the white plastic spring retaining collar. Remove the collar and slide the spring off. (This will make the next step much easier)

6. Insert the lift wrench through the gear box and into the carriage. Turn the wrench to release the lift rod. Slide the lift rod with the gear box attached out from the carriage.
7. Remove the wrench and set aside the gear box.
8. Carefully rotate the carriage until the lift nut slides out. You may need to help the nut out by applying tape to the end of the nut through the access hole and pull it out.

9. There are three curved washers behind the lift nut that need to remain in the hole.
10. All three need to be nested with the convex side facing the opening.
11. Drop in the new brass lift nut and turn it so the hole in it and the carriage line up.
12. Insert the lift wrench into the carriage, turn it so the lift nut is pushed back and insert the new lift rod.
13. Position the lift rod about midway in and remove the lift wrench.
14. Pivot the carriage until the post lines up with the recess and hole in the plate where it was originally located.
15. Re-install the screw and tighten firmly.
16. Set the lift into your table opening and follow the Side Crank Accessory instructions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1388.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1389.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1390.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1391.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1392.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1393.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1394.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1395.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1396.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1397.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1400.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1401.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1403.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1404.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1406.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1409.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1411.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1412.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1413.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1414.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1415.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1416.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1417.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1418.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1419.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1420.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1421.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1422.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1423.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1424.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1426.jpg

Paul Janders
10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I would really like to see how the conversion process works. I notice the adjustment thumbwheel on your lift is gone. Is there anything that replaces it or does it just become a hole in the top of the lift?

As mentioned earlier it would be nice if Woodpeckers would post the instructions on their website.

Mike Goetzke
10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I would really like to see how the conversion process works. I notice the adjustment thumbwheel on your lift is gone. Is there anything that replaces it or does it just become a hole in the top of the lift?

As mentioned earlier it would be nice if Woodpeckers would post the instructions on their website.

I think the instructions I have above are close to what will be published by WP (they will probably add pics). Yes, the thumbwheel is gone and the slot for the wheel is now void.

The router is just as easy to move as it was with the wheel but it now has a 32 pitch lead screw so it's a bit easier to fine adjust.

Here is a pic of my final mod to my dust port. I was able to put the brass guide bushing in a drilled hole - I'm happy:D:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Incra/PRL-V2%20Crank%20Mod/IMG_1427.jpg

Matt Meiser
10-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Mike, thanks for the photos. It sounds like I'll be converting mine this week or next. I like the way you mounted yours as an alternate if it doesn't fit on the front or side of my table.

Tom Walz
10-04-2010, 6:53 PM
You are all very welcome.

Honest, intelligent feedback from real users is incredibly valuable to those of us who make and sell tools. No matter how much we test and run focus groups the real world is always different.

Praise is more fun, suggestions are golden but having somebody point out a flaw or a way a tool could be improved is extremely important.

In all honesty, I am not sure how much credit I can take here. When you sell a top end product line like Woodpeckers it just feels natural to treat people really well.

Tom Walz

Gary Muto
10-22-2010, 7:08 AM
I got my 24" ruler yesterday. It looks really nice, can't wait to put it to use.

thanks again!

Jim O'Dell
10-29-2010, 7:26 PM
My thanks too. I got my stainless steel gauge block today in the mail. It will be very handy. It's already found a home in my drawer of set up tools under the extension table on the saw.
I know there is a new thread that some are posting to that their items have arrived. Just thought I'd pop this back up to the top for those that didn't see it originally so they know the quality of people we have as Friends of the Creek, and the excellent tools they sell from USA manufacturers. Thanks again Tom!

Matt Meiser
02-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Well, I FINALLY got mine converted. The router table I built last year would have taken major modifications to accommodate the cable so I finally just bought a Kreg stand last weekend. Conversion of the PRLV2 was actually quite easy--probably didn't take me more than 20 minutes. Running the cable was quite a challenge. Apparently the length is quite critical. I've had it together and apart probably 15 times shortening the cable a little more and a little more. I think I'll proabably also add a small bracket to stabilize the cable at its low point--something like the bracket on crank.

I ran into one other issue. Apparently a bit of something got into the the tube where the shaft for the crank slides. It worked fine for a while, then suddenly siezed up. I had to tap it apart with a hammer, then deburred the edges of the tube and the shaft. I then reassembled with some heavy grease. Seems to be OK now.

Overall it seems pretty good. I think it would be significantly improved if they added a small gearbox on the bottom of the shaft allow the cable to exit the side rather than the bottom. That would require significantly less room for installation and probably work a little smoother. Of course it would also drive the price up.

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-11-2011, 4:56 AM
Matt... I had the same problem with the crank seizing up before I even installed it. I did the same thing as you - deburred and oiled with machine oil. Mine is hooked up to the original PRL and I could not be happier with it. I love being able to bring the bit up into the work. The accuracy of the lift screws means I only have to count the turns. It would be nice, though, if the shaft and tube came polished. Woodpeckers usually does a better job.