PDA

View Full Version : Amazon came through!!!

Mike Tempel
12-16-2004, 7:30 AM
Just a pre gloat - taking the advice I got earlier on dust collectors I did some research on amazon and found that the Jet 1100 with the cannister and remote control was on sale for 399.99:eek: . Thought about it over night at work and decided to take the plunge:) . This is where it gets interesting.....at 4:30 this morning I looked at it longingly one more time prior to leaving work to come home and order it first thing. I sit down to my computer, go through all the necessary steps and whammo -:eek: it hit me like a ton of bricks:eek: - the price had jumped to 474.99:confused: . Called amazon (had to do a search to find their number) and a little lady helped me out. She gave it to me for 399.99, took off the 25 dollar Jet coupon, took off another 30 bucks for applying for a credit card (that I probably will cut up as soon as it gets here), and gave me the free shipping to boot. Total drive out was 344.59!!:D :D :D It won't arrive until after Christmas but I just had to gloat on this one.

By the way - if you ever need an amazon.com phone number this is the one I used, (800) 201-7575. Hope you never need it but this is the second time they came through for me. Once before I called and got a PC router package with the table, D handle, fixed, and plunge base for something like 219 shipped - just asked if I could use a coupon and the guy jumped all over it. Made my dad just sick.

Merry Christmas to all - 'specially that little lady with the broken english at amazon!!!!!

Tony Sade
12-16-2004, 7:50 AM
I have the 2hp cannister and like it just fine. One non-woodworking caution, though. As I keep telling my wife who thinks getting an extra five percent off a single purchase is well worth the time involved in applying for another credit card we don't need, these "freebies" can come back to haunt you. The number of applications for credit of any kind, and the number of credit cards a consumer has, get factored into credit ratings and can have a serious negative effect on a credit "score"-the number used by merchants and lenders to determine whether to grant credit or approve loans in the first place, and to determine the interest rate ultimately granted. As I tell my wife, I'd rather pay the extra $10 now than have to pay a couple of hundred or even thousand over the life of a loan or mortgage refinancing because our score resulted in a higher interest rate. The short term gain just ain't worth it in my view.

Tom Seaman
12-16-2004, 9:43 AM
Interesting. Yesterday early afternoon, after reading about the sale, I looked up the PC 7518 router. It was listed at $247.99 BEFORE the $25 off! I emailed my wife to get 'permission' since its so close to Christmas.:) She said it sounds like a good deal, go for it. I decided to wait until after work to buy it. I got home, logged on and the price was now $295!!! Not bad, but not a 'steal' like earlier. This gives me the motivation to call and see if I can get it for the original price I saw it. Otherwise I'll just wait. Thanks for the phone #!

Tom

Todd Franks
12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Same thing happened to me. After reading Chris's note I checked the Jet Air Cleaner and looked like a pretty good deal. I waited until I got home to run it by the finance committee, got approval, and sure enough the price went back up. That sure was a short sale window. I thought to myself, that Amazon missed an opportunity for a sale, but maybe I'll try the phone number thing.

Thanks for the info,

-Todd

Scott Behrens
12-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Let us know if you two have any luck with that phone number. I missed out on the delta planer deal. Anyone else notice they adjusted their prices before everyone got home from work???

Scott Behrens
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
I got a "no can do" when I called. They told me to order anyhow and maybe it'll go back down. Gee, that's not coming from a biased source....

thanks for the number though, it was worth a try.

time to see if i can get HD to go down 20% on the RIDGID jointer. If not, maybe I'll just spend more and get the DW735 for $375. Is it worth the extra price?