PDA

View Full Version : Bonding acrylic to polyester laminator film

Al Stewart
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Tried super-glue, no stick at all to polyester - acrylic no prob.
Weld-on 16 sticks sorta okay to the polyester - acrylic no prob.
Double coated tape with rubber adhesive, no stick to polyester

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Al

Joe Pelonio
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
if you are talking about laminating film made for hot laminators it melts together and is too slick to use normal adhesives. Go to a sign supply and get adhesive clear poly film, or even vinyl, they adhere nicely to acrylic and serve the same purpose without needing heat. It comes in 15", 24" and 30" rolls that are sold by the yard.

Al Stewart
09-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Joe, but it is indeed hot roll laminating film. It is on substrate A and I need to adhere substrate B (acrylic) to it.

Al

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2010, 8:06 AM
One of my wholesale customers does digital imaging, and has a 60" hot/cold laminator. He can apply printed vinyl to 3/8" boards with it. Normally that is done with adhesive backed vinyl but could probably be done hot with your material. How to find such a place in your area is a problem, probably not worth the 3 hour drive up here to Bellevue.

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2010, 8:48 AM
VHB tape? I have a roll of very thin VHB tape I got from Johnson, I think. It's got a red liner on it and it's about as thick as double sided tape. Very thin.

Longer it sits, the stucker it gets. Just a thought.

Al Stewart
09-15-2010, 11:05 AM
VHB may be the answer. It does stick well, but the stuff I have is about .040" and may be too thick for my application. I'll check Johnson for the thin. Thanks for the tip!

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2010, 1:01 PM
It's 8 mil, it's called "Like A VHB" tape in their tape section. It's very thin, not the .040" you are used to.

Al Stewart
09-15-2010, 2:03 PM
Excellent! I'm placing my order right now. Thanks, Scott!