PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thank-you

Paul Douglass
09-14-2010, 9:43 PM
A while back there was thread about hollowing tools. Home made boring tools were brought up and I showed and interest. Bob Haverstock e-mailed me and sent me some pictures of his. I also found the tutorial on Woodturners America by Vaughn McMillian on making boring tools. Vaughn has be kind enough to answer my questions also. So thank you for the help guys. I finished two of them and tried them out today. They really work great. I will be making some curved ones soon. I have less than $10 tied up in the two I have made. The hardest part for me was drilling a hole in the end of the 1/2" rod. Oh, well couldn't get it right on center, but it still works good.

I'll post a picture when my wife returns with my camera.

Using my new homemade tools I made a little ring box today out of some walnut from a tree I cut down about three years ago. Great fun.

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 6:20 AM
Paul, sounds like some successful shop time, tool building and a bit of turning! Look forward to seeing pics upon the return of your camera.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 9:23 AM
Sounds like you had fun! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Bob Haverstock
09-15-2010, 5:04 PM
The hardest part for me was drilling a hole in the end of the 1/2" rod. Oh, well couldn't get it right on center, but it still works good.

Hi Paul,

Maybe this will help, I use 3/4 copper pipe for ferrels. I turn the tool handles and press on the copper before I drill the handles. I chuck up on the handle end and use a steady rest. The steady rest centers the handle and then I drill.

You can made a job specific steady rest out of wood to support the handle by the ferrel. Think of a tall skinny V-block out of wood mounted to the bed of the lathe. The V-block with an adjustable block across the top will do. Use light contact press on the copper or much heat will be generated. ( a smiggin of grease applied to the V-block will help) It doesn't take a lot of RPM to drill.

Plan "B" to is order a steady from Jeff to fit your Delta and then make an adapter block to fit it to Nova. I bought one from Jeff for my Jet 1220 and adapted it to my Nova.

I'm pleased that you have success at making the tools.

Bob Haverstock

Paul Douglass
09-15-2010, 5:24 PM
Bob, it was the 1/2 in rod that was hard to drill in the exact center of, for the hole to put the bit into. I just couldn't get the hole dead center. Didn't affect how the tool works, just annoying to me.

Bob Haverstock
09-15-2010, 6:16 PM
Bob, it was the 1/2 in rod that was hard to drill in the exact center of, for the hole to put the bit into. I just couldn't get the hole dead center. Didn't affect how the tool works, just annoying to me.

Paul,

I misundersood. I had my tongue over my eye tooth and couldn't see what you were saying.

Bob Haverstock

Paul Douglass
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Almost forgot, got the camera back so here are the pictures. I find I use these tools more than I thought I would. I've even used them on spindle type work. You can see I didn't spend a lot of time on the handles. Less than $20 invested and enough bits a rod left over to make some curved ones.

Allen Neighbors
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice tools, Paul. I make my handles to be functional, also. :D I don't care too much about what they look like, but I have to have them longer, so holding them under my arm, helps to steady my shaky hands.

Mark Hubl
09-25-2010, 12:47 PM
The tools look great Paul. I like making my own as well. There is a good feeling using a tool that you made to work a piece.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Congrats on some nice tools. Vaughn made me a set a while back. Really nice tools. Just didn't/don't have the time for making them.

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Great job Paul. You'll have to show me how to make these.

Richard Madden
09-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Way to go, Paul. It's a rewarding experience to make your own tools. Good luck with them.

Ray Bell
09-26-2010, 3:08 PM
Paul, where did you get the cutters?

Paul Douglass
09-26-2010, 3:13 PM
I bought the bits from Monster Lathe Tools. He is about as reasonable as anyone and I know he has a good reputation.

John W Dixon
09-26-2010, 3:50 PM
Nice looking tools Paul. We had a tutorial on these at a recent club meeting and I need to get out in the shop and get some done. I picked up the rod and cutters just haven't finished them. thanks for the inspiration.

John