PDA

View Full Version : Spalting Experiment and a few more turnings

Tony Greenway
09-14-2010, 9:27 PM
This NE bowl is from a piece of willow that I placed in a plastic grocery bag. It took about 4 weeks to spalt this much. 161359161352161353

This is a Bill Grumbine inspired turning out of Ambrosia Maple161357161356

This is from a Chinese Ginkgo tree, it has some great color 161354161355

This is a one-piece Cherry pedestal NE bowl161375

All of these pieces are from trees that were harvested this past spring, which is why none of them have any bark on their edges. I just peel it off before I mount them on the lathe.

David Christopher
09-14-2010, 9:55 PM
Tony, wow that spalted really quick. and all the bowls are beautiful

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 9:59 PM
Looks like someone's been busy! That's an amazing spalt for just a month in a bag! All of the forms are interesting, but I'm really drawn to the Grumbine inspired piece... I love the graceful curve.

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Man, Tony, you've really been busy!! Love the spalted piece... but all the others are nice in their own right!! And I really think you did a bang-up job on that piece with the base. Nice turnings!

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Very nice grouping of NE forms. The spalting in the willow piece is really very nice and I especially like the Grumbine inspired one.

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Those are really nice. I will ++ about the willow spalting like that in only four weeks! And I agree with Allen about the pedestal piece. Not that I don't like the others but you rarely see NE pieces on a base like that. It really works well.

Tony Greenway
09-15-2010, 7:26 AM
Thanks everyone, I usually don't pick one piece over another, but I was extremely pleased with the Grumbine-inspired turning. I saw a larger cherry one that he had brought to the symposium a year ago and the shape just stuck in my brain. I finally plucked it out about a month ago.

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 7:51 AM
Tony, love the spalting on the willow, and count my vote for the pedestal piece!

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 8:00 AM
Nice work on everything Tony! That Willow sure spalted up nice!

I like your natural edge bowls and the use of a pedestal is a nice variation on that theme. I do like your Grumbine inspired bowl! Nice flare to the curve!

Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2010, 9:08 AM
That willow did spalt nicely. Really nice turnings Tony.

John Shuk
09-15-2010, 9:11 AM
I put a fresh maple blank in a plastic grocery bag as well. I just didn't plan to leave it there for 6 months. I was pretty pleased with the spalting and made a nice small bowl with it.

Tony De Masi
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Real nice job on all of them Tony. I really lean toward the NE with the pedestal base so consider that one to be copied:D

Richard Madden
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Tony,
The willow piece you put in a grocery bag, did you add anything else to the bag? And where did you store it for the four weeks, inside or out?

Tony Greenway
09-15-2010, 7:09 PM
Richard, I was wondering if anyone was going to ask those questions. You win the grand prize, which is to be supplied by Steve Schlumpf:confused::eek:. Anyway, I bagged it, let it set in the corner of my shop for a couple of weeks, then poured about one tablespoon of beer on it, resealed the bag for the remaining weeks. I bagged a similar blank without adding the beer for the same time span and it spalted a lot less.

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 7:53 PM
...one tablespoon of beer ...OK, for fear no one asks this question.....what brand, and was it Lite??:rolleyes::D Part of me wants to guess Samuel Adams Harvest Collection and I don't even drink beer.....:)

Ken Hill
09-15-2010, 8:14 PM
I am feeling real conflicted at the moment. As much as I can appreciate a fine piece of spalted wood, I do not know if I could bring myself to wantingly waste beer.

I guess it isn't a true waste so i'm good with the process now:eek::D