PDA

View Full Version : Hallway Table

Tom O'Donnell
09-14-2010, 9:16 PM
Hallway Table
Experimenting with alternative method of producing the legs to add safety with the router
New routing techniques
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spD-sW0aDko

Bruce Page
09-14-2010, 9:54 PM
Nice hall table Tom, I enjoyed the video.

Jim Rimmer
09-15-2010, 1:51 PM
Nie looking table. I'll view the video later.

180+ views and only 2 comments? :confused:

Gordon Eyre
09-15-2010, 1:59 PM
Well I watched the video but found it to be rather slow. There is a lot of moving the router up and down a pattern and very little on how the pattern was made. Unless one were to go into production on a number of these tables I would think making the pattern may be a waste of time. Sure it would be the safest way to go but still it seems like a lot of effort for very little return. The long sweeping curves could easily be cut out on a bandsaw and trued up with a drum sander.

I do like the table and think it looks very nice. My compliments on a nice project.

Prashun Patel
09-15-2010, 2:47 PM
Very nice table. I like the leg design.

Van Huskey
09-15-2010, 2:52 PM
Beautiful lines!

Pat Barry
09-15-2010, 8:56 PM
Very nice design. The style fits the scale very well. I think its very important that all the legs look the same. But I disagree with a previous comment. I don't see achieving that kind of uniformity with a band saw and drum sander. The template approach makes a lot of sense. I wonder what this would look like with a natural finish and made from cherry, or would it look better with mahogany?

Pat Barry
09-15-2010, 8:58 PM
Just to clarify. I like the finish you selected. The table looks very nice. My previous comment may have sounded negative and didn't mean it that way.

Clyde McKinney
09-15-2010, 9:25 PM
Tom, I love everything about your table. It's obvious that you spent a lot of
time thinking about the design. It's very unusual and I feel that even the
color adds greatly to the overall beauty of it. Congratulations on a job well
done.

John Thompson
09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
The table came out great...

Brandon Shew
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
The long sweeping curves could easily be cut out on a bandsaw and trued up with a drum sander.

True, but the pattern template would provide more consistency when making multiple copies of the leg. I would have cut 1/16 off of the line w/ the bandsaw and then used the template to pattern the final edge w/ the router. It would have saved a lot of time and created a lot less sawdust vs. the method in that video. And it would have been just as safe.

Nice table regardless. I like the design of the legs. Sort of a gothic meets victorian look to them.

Tom O'Donnell
09-17-2010, 1:27 AM
Very nice design. The style fits the scale very well. I think its very important that all the legs look the same. But I disagree with a previous comment. I don't see achieving that kind of uniformity with a band saw and drum sander. The template approach makes a lot of sense. I wonder what this would look like with a natural finish and made from cherry, or would it look better with mahogany?
Pat
This has been a 'Prototype' checking out the design and method of construction. You will notce in the video one leg is produced from 'Pine' and the other is from our local Timber 'Jarrah' almost like 'Mahogany' and it is my intention to produce a smaller version (not so long) to fit in Our dining room between two doors. This will also match the dining room furniture I have already created. What I was demonstrating was the method how I was able to produce all five legs exactly the same shape with only the router as the main tool. The original leg design I had changed, this was the shape I was teaching 'Blind' people how to produce the legs when making the pedestal table which is also the other video I had submitted to you Tube. It's all about experimenting with the use of the router and how it can be used more creatively and safer. In that particular video I designed and created a new method of securing the material.

Tom

Tom O'Donnell
09-17-2010, 1:58 AM
Well I watched the video but found it to be rather slow. There is a lot of moving the router up and down a pattern and very little on how the pattern was made. Unless one were to go into production on a number of these tables I would think making the pattern may be a waste of time. Sure it would be the safest way to go but still it seems like a lot of effort for very little return. The long sweeping curves could easily be cut out on a bandsaw and trued up with a drum sander.

I do like the table and think it looks very nice. My compliments on a nice project.

Gordon,

The video was only 7mins long and that would be about the time to produce two legs the same size. There was a lot of router movement; this was to stress the number of cuts to be taken to produce a smooth finish to the edge (Less sanding) I was emphasing the method of using the router in the plunge mode to introduce greater safety awareness.

"making the pattern may be a waste of time"

Before any one leg can be produced using the 'conventional' method you also will require to make the pattern to follow.

There is no doubt in my mind that the long sweeping curves can be cut on the bandsaw but will the legs be identical after you have trued them up with a drum sander.

I have been in the woodwork game for over sixty years and in that time I would have done exactly what you have said, but I would not ask a blind person (when I was teaching) to use that method so I had to come up with a safe method for them to produce the legs.

This video was not a 'How to do' but 'What can be done'. I still have to take time to write up all the procedures taken to get it to this stage. One of the biggest problems is to determine the shape of the template required. I invested in a drawing program for my computer and I am able to come up with full size drawings of the templates that I can place on the material and in some instances cut out with a 'Jig saw'. Note; the template is made up of a number of pages and glued together to give the final shape.