PDA

View Full Version : Old plane identification

Eric Fortin
09-14-2010, 9:14 PM
Hi,

I'm beginning in woodworking and would like to use hand tools when it makes sense to and then some just because it seems so fun.

Old planes are sort of hard to come buy here and I came across an ad for an old jack plane I think.

I would need some help in identifying the maker first. Then I would make some research to find what model and year it is. I've read quite a bit on here and on specialized sites but I haven't been able to find exactly what it is. Here's some pics.

Thanks

P.S. From the lateral adjusting lever, it doen't seem to be a stanley nor a Miller falls or even a sargent.

Finally, do you think this is salvageable ?

Thanks

Richard Kee
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Eric,

Walt Q. of Brass City Records in Connecticut would identify this plane as being made by Union. You can see his quick plane ID at: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Richard

Roy Lindberry
09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi,

I'm beginning in woodworking and would like to use hand tools when it makes sense to and then some just because it seems so fun.

Old planes are sort of hard to come buy here and I came across an ad for an old jack plane I think.

I would need some help in identifying the maker first. Then I would make some research to find what model and year it is. I've read quite a bit on here and on specialized sites but I haven't been able to find exactly what it is. Here's some pics.

Thanks

P.S. From the lateral adjusting lever, it doen't seem to be a stanley nor a Miller falls or even a sargent.

Finally, do you think this is salvageable ?

Thanks

I'm not an expert by any means, but here is my take. Looks like you need a new tote, and there is some rust/grime to clean up, but from those pics it looks like it could be salvaged. Some things to look for: Are there any cracks in the sole? Is the sole flat along its length and width? Does the frog seat securely on the plane body?

Except for cracks, many of these things can be dealt with, though it depends on the time and effort you want to put into the tool. You can always replace the blade, if its in really bad shape with a lot of pitting etc. But if there is plenty of iron left on the blade and it just needs a good grind and hone, that shouldn't take too long. However, the blade also should be checked for flatness along the back side.

Hopefully, its not a lot of work, because often tuning a plane can be discouraging to the person who just wants to hurry up and make some shavings. But a well tuned plane is worth it.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Eric,

Welcome to the cave by the Creek. Your profile does not indicate your location?

Though that does have the lateral lever twist that is often identified with the Union Mfg. Co. it could also be an Ohio Tool Co. plane. A look at the lever with the blade removed would tell a bit more to the story. As I recall, the Union planes had the disk above the pivot pin and the Ohio tool levers had the disk below the pivot pin.

There may also be a mark on the blade.

The handle on that can be repaired or you could make a replacement. The handle does have a curvature at the top that reminds me of a Union plane I used to have. Union blades are also a bit thicker than Stanley blades. Not sure about the Ohio tool blades.

I believe Union planes had mahogany wood for the totes and knobs. Also I think the knob on the Union planes was a little different than yours, though those things change with time of manufacture and user modifications.

I agree with Roy, it does look like it could be a good user.

jtk

Eric Fortin
09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I updated my location which is Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I know it will take quite a bit of work but if it can become a good user, I'm ready to take the plunge.

I'll make sure to check for flatness and check for mark on the blade or lever when I see it.

John Toigo
09-15-2010, 9:47 PM
I think Union also. Look at the blade for a makers mark. Might be one there under the rust & grime. That plane can be a good user if it's cleaned tuned & sharpened.