PDA

View Full Version : The best Table saw fence ever.

keith micinski
09-14-2010, 8:57 PM
Well, I may have overstated the title a little but I have finally gotten my perfect fence anyway. I originally bought a used 52" Unifence that was in pretty good shape but needed a new tape measure. I went ahead and bought a new tape but I also thought what the heck I will try getting a Wixey digital read out since they were also giving away a free tilt box at the time. I don't know how anyone lives without a digital read out. I had always wanted to add the Uni-T fence because of the option of adding feather boards and board buddies. Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered it and I couldn't be happier. The board buddies are a great safety feature and they also make ripping wider sheet goods and boards much easier because it keeps the board pulled tight to the fence all the way through the cut. I don't see how any fence system could be any better. Well I take that back to, the one thing I really want is some sort of a micro adjuster and then the system will be the best ever. I know they make some sort of an after market one but I haven't been able to find it yet. One other minor complaint is with the Uni-t fence itself. It came with the UHMW fence piece needing to be shimmed out to make the face perfectly flush. I really don't think I should have to shim my new fence right out of the box but I was able to make it work.

glenn bradley
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Congrats. You now have permission to be a very happy guy.

Brian Kincaid
09-15-2010, 9:42 AM
...Well I take that back to, the one thing I really want is some sort of a micro adjuster and then the system will be the best ever...

Use the back of your incra router fence to push the table saw fence. You can adjust by 1/32 or 1/1000 (red wheel when you are half locked).

Rockler makes a micro adjust for Bies style fences which would probably work. I have one thinking I would use it constantly but I didn't. I do use micro adjust on my router table though (Incra fence just like yours).

-Brian

Peter Aeschliman
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I really like my wixey fence, except I've stopped using it because it eats through batteries like nothing else.

They literally last a week. After going through $20 worth of batteries, I've decided it's not worth it.

Thomas Bennett
09-15-2010, 1:42 PM
I like your fence , and router table set-up. Did you make the arched windows in the background? Those look really cool!

Charles Lent
09-15-2010, 7:43 PM
I have a nearly identical setup and haven't needed to improve on it in the past 2 years, but it would be nice to find a micro adjuster that works well with it. I kept the original Unifence extrusion because there have been several times when I've needed a low fence profile and the original fence extrusion, in it's laying down position, works very well for this.

Peter, there is something wrong with your Wixey fence module, I can go nearly a year before a battery replacement is necessary. E-mail Barry at Wixey and tell him about it.

Charley

keith micinski
09-15-2010, 7:52 PM
I think the original Wixey's don't shut of on there own. You have to shut it off when your done. Mine last for 6 months to a year. I didn't make the window I bought it at an auction to put in my house I hope to build some day. It's actually a transom that goes over an Oak French door I have. I am going to try and get a micro adjuster for the fence and se how it works. With the wixey I am a stickler for getting everything exactly right so I am constantly tapping that thug around.

keith micinski
09-15-2010, 7:58 PM
I found the magnetic micro adjuster but it looks like it would get in the way of my Wixey and it doesn't look like it is reversible.

Lance Norris
09-15-2010, 8:55 PM
I love my Unifence... so versatile. I keep mine on the low face because I like to keep my fingers as far from the blade as possible. I also like to slide it back when cutting sheet goods. It was very inventive when it came out. I think Delta made a mistake with with the new Unisaw by not offering the Unifence.

Dean Ousterhout
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
What are those hold downs on the fence called? Are they adjustable? It looks a lot easier than the home made clampons I have been using...

Gary Hodgin
10-02-2010, 12:24 PM
What are those hold downs on the fence called? Are they adjustable? It looks a lot easier than the home made clampons I have been using...

Dean,
They're called Board Buddies. I've never used them, but saw a demo at a ww show. I don't have a good place to use them on DW 746x fence or I might have purchased a couple. Here is a link to them at Rockler's.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11262&filter=anti-kickback%20holdowns

Gary

Ruhi Arslan
10-02-2010, 1:41 PM
Keith,
How do you get to manage two fences (router and table fences) against each other limiting the working width in either? Do you remove the Incra when you need wider space to the right of the blade or vice versa?

I have my router table insert to the left of the table and I use one Incra fence for both the table and the router. All I have to do is to slide the bridge in between the Incra rails. I have stops on both ends limiting the furthest left and right positions for the bridge plate.

george wilson
10-02-2010, 1:44 PM
The very best NEW fence was the Parallock. I had one for years at work. It operated from a cable and pulley system under the fence rails,just like a draftsman's parallel square. It was made in Portland,Oregon. Extremely accurate fence. You could move the front of the fence the slightest amount,and the rear would move exactly the same amount. Absolutely no sideways movement when locking. I think they couldn't afford the advertising that the bigger makers could put out. There have been other great products that failed through insufficient advertising money.

Unfortunately,they are no longer made.

I like the original fence on my 1964 Dewalt/Clausing table saw best,though. It is a simple fence,but never swings sideways the slightest amount when you lock it. Actually easier to use than the Parallock because you just lift it off,without having to unhook any metal blocks like the Parallock had.

glenn bradley
10-02-2010, 2:04 PM
I saw a Parallock at a show back in 1981. I was just tagging along with the luthier from work but the design really stuck in my mind. What a rig.

keith micinski
10-02-2010, 2:43 PM
Keith,
How do you get to manage two fences (router and table fences) against each other limiting the working width in either? Do you remove the Incra when you need wider space to the right of the blade or vice versa?

I have my router table insert to the left of the table and I use one Incra fence for both the table and the router. All I have to do is to slide the bridge in between the Incra rails. I have stops on both ends limiting the furthest left and right positions for the bridge plate.

The Incra only gets put on when I do routing. I have 4 t-nuts in the extension table that I bolt to when I ust the Incra otherwise it hangs on the back of my out feed table.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146997

Peter Quinn
10-02-2010, 5:55 PM
Yes Sir, I like it!

David Helm
10-02-2010, 6:22 PM
Keith, I've been using board buddies for years. Easy retrofit to my new saw without having to buy a dedicated expensive fence. I guess they've redesigned them to mount on T-track now. Mine just have mounting brackets that screw onto my High tech fence insert.

John Hollaway
10-02-2010, 6:32 PM
What, no dust collection off the blade???

keith micinski
10-02-2010, 6:39 PM
Ya the brackets come with a 1/4 inch bolt. I love the fact that they are really easy to mount and unmount. I had a shop fox fence I messed around with that came with my Grizzly and it didn't have adjustment to square the fence with the table. I had to adjust that actual mounting tube to square it up. Are the real Beismeyer fences like that also? I also like that the Unifence can be slid back and forth to be used like a stop block. The Peach tree fence was a nice upgrade. I do like that I can replace the fence face really easy with what ever I want. I have noticed recently that my Wixey is loosing its calibration about once a week now though which it never did. It's not a big deal because I usually check it but I would be nice not to have to.

Frederick Rowe
10-02-2010, 9:01 PM
I love my Unifence... so versatile. I keep mine on the low face because I like to keep my fingers as far from the blade as possible. I also like to slide it back when cutting sheet goods. It was very inventive when it came out. I think Delta made a mistake with with the new Unisaw by not offering the Unifence.

My sentiments precisely. You have to use one to appreciate it's versatility.

Kent E. Matthew
10-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I have that fence. Except the aluminum extrusion is different. Any ideas on where I could get that so I can use the board buddies?

keith micinski
10-03-2010, 9:53 AM
I have that fence. Except the aluminum extrusion is different. Any ideas on where I could get that so I can use the board buddies?

I got my fence at peachtree.