PDA

View Full Version : Rose myrtle rough out

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 8:28 PM
Got it done today and, as you can see, I decided to have the color break be on the horizon instead of vertical. It will get a lid/collar of Brazilian rosewood burl. Um... yes... I did say "Brazilian rosewood burl". I acquired some small pieces of it some years back with the idea of using it in a chess board. But that never happened. The slices are only a half inch thick which is, more than likely, why I still have it. I think it will go really well with this Rose myrtle. The patient is sedated and resting quietly in a bucket of DNA...

Baxter Smith
09-14-2010, 8:33 PM
That has some great color and should be beautiful. I enjoy checking out these exotics that I have never even heard of, much less seen!:)

Michael James
09-14-2010, 8:37 PM
David, thanks for posting as this goes up/down, er progresses. I keep thinking as I see your (and others) work that someday I would like to try these forms. I LOVE rosewood and have a board stashed from yrs ago which beats anything I see lately, but have never seen rosewood burl.
Looking forward to the finished piece.
mj

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 8:44 PM
What a beautiful and interesting piece of wood. I can't wait to see it in finished form. I have no experience with rose myrtle, but I'm headed to wiki now to get smarter.

As for the rosewood burl, I've got some Honduran rosewood burl pen blanks that are really nice. I'm assuming the Brazilian version is just as pretty... Pretty and expensive!

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 8:48 PM
"I'm assuming the Brazilian version is just as pretty... Pretty and expensive!"

I don't even want to say except for that it was the most I ever spent on wood, by the BF, pound or whatever! The guy had some chunks too but I just did not have the coin at the time to pay his staggering price.

FWIW, I have left enough wood at the bottom of this rough out so I can still make the bottom a bit smaller. Gotta think about that...

Steve Schlumpf
09-14-2010, 8:49 PM
Wow! Now that grabs your attention! Very pretty wood and I like the orientation of the grain! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

John Keeton
09-14-2010, 8:51 PM
So THAT is the piece you inquired earlier regarding the orientation. Very nice!! I have some fairly large chunks of Honduran rosewood burl that a clubmember was selling for the club. It some beautiful stuff - just won't go with much as far as color.

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 8:54 PM
"Looking forward to seeing the finished version!"

Funny you should chime in, Steve. It was from reading your posts that got me going on this DNA thing to begin with. And your hollow forms have been an inspiration as well. I'm thinking that this should soak for twenty four hours (I left it at three quarters of an inch thick) and then get wrapped with brown paper. I will be re-reading everything I can on DNA tonight!

Cathy Schaewe
09-14-2010, 9:23 PM
Neat stuff! Looks good so far -

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Can't complain about that beauty! Lookin' good! I want to see the finished piece next week. :) What? Too soon!!??!! Oh, no.....

David DeCristoforo
09-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Since I pulled this out of the DNA on the 15th, I have been checking it daily with a moisture meter. My meter reads from six to thirty percent. It has an arc of LED's for a readout. any content below six, the "six" LED blinks rapidly. Above thirty percent and the "thirty" LED blinks. When I checked it right after the DNA soak, it was "pegged" at thirty. Since then it has dropped steadily and today it reads fifteen percent. The pins on the meter are a half inch long and the rough out is right around an inch think so burying the pins should read more or less at the center of the wood. I realize that these things are not "all that accurate" but seems, overall, a very good result. So far there are no cracks and the piece does not appear to have suffered any significant distortion.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 5:09 PM
Now that is going to be a beauty. Really nice wood.