PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate turning !

Scott Donley
09-14-2010, 7:39 PM
You spend all the time cutting a bowl blank, sharpening your tools, all the time burning rings near the lip, get a catch and smash a finger while hollowing, find band aids, finish hollowing to 1/8 walls and ready for sanding, discover new crack from the undercut lip extending about 3 inches, your CA is no longer usable and would not work any way as there is not enough wood left to turn away the glue stain
Come in the house and open a cold one. Think I will go back out and wax the TS and jointer, maybe try out my new planner. :o

Robert McGowen
09-14-2010, 7:43 PM
You have a lathe, a planer, a table saw, a jointer, and a house that has beer in it. Can things really be that bad? Oh yeah, sorry about your finger! :eek::eek::eek:

Cathy Schaewe
09-14-2010, 7:44 PM
You have a lathe, a planer, a table saw, a jointer, and a house that has beer in it. Can things really be that bad? Oh yeah, sorry about your finger! :eek::eek::eek:

Very good point!!!

And, he has us to sympathize with him .... whereas the rest of the world will just look at him funny when he complains about this! ;)

Scott Donley
09-14-2010, 7:58 PM
You have a lathe, a planer, a table saw, a jointer, and a house that has beer in it. Can things really be that bad? Oh yeah, sorry about your finger! :eek::eek::eek:Now that you put it that way:) Think I will just put a steak on the grill and call it a day :D

gary Zimmel
09-14-2010, 8:01 PM
And upside is you did get some shop time....
Things will be better next time.

Lee Koepke
09-14-2010, 8:06 PM
thats it ... I'm quitting :mad:

less than a week in and thats it for me :D

Michael James
09-14-2010, 8:28 PM
Im sure the omens were apparrent WAY before you went out to turn....
Check your horoscope, or get a psychic reading..... if it doesn't seem promising, go straight for the beer and stay away from power tools.:cool:
Dude, you know that some days you get the bear..... and some days... well you dont.:D
Every one of us has been there on some project. I use rule #62:
Dont take yourself too seriously!
my .02
mj

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 8:30 PM

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 8:46 PM
You spend all the time cutting a bowl blank, sharpening your tools, all the time burning rings near the lip, get a catch and smash a finger while hollowing, find band aids, finish hollowing to 1/8 walls and ready for sanding, discover new crack from the undercut lip extending about 3 inches, your CA is no longer usable and would not work any way as there is not enough wood left to turn away the glue stain...

Sounds like one of my better days in the shop... Congrats!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2010, 8:47 PM

Life is, indeed, good....eh Robert?
:D

Gary Conklin
09-14-2010, 8:51 PM
Unless you loose an apendage, :(, a bad day in the shop is better than a good day without one!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2010, 9:17 PM
How much better does it get?

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 9:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McGowen http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1513405#post1513405)

Now that you put it that way:) Think I will just put a steak on the grill and call it a day :D

Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Looks like he's in it for the long haul, boys & girls..... :D

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
"Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!"

Thanx. Biting my tongue was starting to hurt...;)

Jon Lanier
09-14-2010, 11:21 PM
This is why I don't take things down to 1/8".

John Keeton
09-15-2010, 6:37 AM
Scott, all we be OK....just stand back from the grill a bit.....little more.....and, do not hold the lit match in the other hand while putting on fire starter!!:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 9:18 AM
Are we having fun yet?

A lot of times I just walk away when things don't go right. Later, when I come back to work on the piece, seems I can usually figure out something to do to correct whatever was going wrong the day before.

At 1/8" thick - you don't need to turn away any glue stains if you just wipe the piece down with whatever finish you plan on using anyway. The glue will adhere to the crack area and not stain the surrounding wood. You can sand away any uneven areas later.

Looking forward to seeing the finished hollow form!

Frank Kobilsek
09-15-2010, 9:37 AM
Mr Moderator,

Mr. Donley should have his privileges suspended for talking that way. He hates turning? May all his blanks have bugs, may a drill chuck get froze in his morse taper and may all his ways be rusty. Blasphemy!

At first I saw the subject line of his post I thought somebody from a 'f-work' area of SMC had decided to come over here and start trouble. When I saw it was one of us I got real upset. But is he really one of us if he has a new planner?

Frank

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-15-2010, 9:52 AM
Scott, think of it this way --- you could be a segmenter :)

steven carter
09-15-2010, 1:47 PM
"Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!"

Thanx. Biting my tongue was starting to hurt...;)

......AND a grill!!

Prashun Patel
09-15-2010, 2:52 PM
A lot of times I just walk away when things don't go right. Later, when I come back to work on the piece, seems I can usually figure out something to do to correct whatever was going wrong the day before.

I agree. It's the most painful, but most rewarding part of the process. The harder I have to work for it, the more I love the end product. Or at least, this is what my therapist says I should think.

Scott Donley
09-15-2010, 2:56 PM
This thread is proof that a grown man should never cry :D I did go to the store and bought some super glue and filled the crack from the inside, used the shop-vac to pull the glue through, seems to have worked with little damage.:) As a side note: about 4 years ago I bought about 135 bf. of maple to build a table I was thinking about also bought a lathe around the same time, since then, nothing but turning. A few months ago I could not pass up the Dewalt 735 on sale at HD for sale at 294.00 and sold my old Delta. The Dewalt is still sitting there unused.

Robert McGowen
09-15-2010, 3:08 PM
As a side note: about 4 years ago I bought about 135 bf. of maple to build a table I was thinking about also bought a lathe around the same time, since then, nothing but turning. A few months ago I could not pass up the Dewalt 735 on sale at HD for sale at 294.00 and sold my old Delta. The Dewalt is still sitting there unused.

Stop trying to get back on everyone's good side. Now go smash another finger while turning and we might let you back inside the circle of trust! :D

Barry Elder
09-15-2010, 4:34 PM
A little sealer will block that CA stain.

Allen Neighbors
09-15-2010, 5:44 PM
Yep. He's definitely in it for the long-haul..... :D

Steve Kubien
09-15-2010, 5:59 PM
At least you've got the tablesaw and jointer. They're great for holding turning related items!

Tom Sherman
09-15-2010, 8:57 PM
I went out Sunday afternoon and reintroduced myself to my lathe, been away from it for almost three years. Had to clean her up real good and put a small piece of scrap on just to play. Worked pretty good, have wanted to go out the past couple of days but my mind is fried, been a rough couple of days, Just decided to raid the fridge for Sam Adams tonight and try tomorrow.