PDA

View Full Version : Box Hardware, Locks--Who Makes the Best?

Hugh MacDonald
09-14-2010, 6:48 PM
Greetings,

I'm starting to design and build some boxes (approx. humidor or jewelry-box size) that will require locks. I know a lot of SMCers build nice boxes, and I wanted to know where you guys get the hardware, especially locks, for your boxes. I'm looking primarily for brass mortise locks with a skeleton key, but modern or contemporary designs that are well-done could work too. I know Brusso, among others, makes great-looking, and pricey, hardware, but no locks. Is there anyone who makes locks along the lines of Brusso? I've visited Van Dykes Restorers site, and they've got quite a few, but I was wondering if anybody had experience with them or other brands, and what their opinions are. Basically, I'd like to know anything and everything about what you guys have to say about small locks for boxes. Thanks.

Sean Hughto
09-14-2010, 7:11 PM
You might check out White Chapel: http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/

Robert LaPlaca
09-15-2010, 5:54 PM
Might not be the best forum for this question. Whitechapel has some very nice and period correct hardware as does Ball and Ball and finally Horton Brasses. From a price point I would say that Whitechapel, Ball and Ball are the most expensive and Horton is less costly of the three mentioned..