PDA

View Full Version : Wood trade............

Robert McGowen
09-14-2010, 6:41 PM
I sent a member here, Tom Hamilton, a large piece of mesquite, as he wanted to turn a bowl for his church. He then sent me his largest piece of apple wood in return. I had never turned apple wood, so it was a treat for me. The result is this hollow form. Apple wood, sanded to 400, with Danish Oil.

161322 161323

Oh yeah, he also sent a couple of chunks of walnut and a VERY large piece of cherry. The cherry is going to be roughed out this week and then given a nice DNA bath. I just wanted to thank Tom for his generosity! I really appreciated it. :)

Robert McGowen
09-14-2010, 6:49 PM
I forgot to post the last photo of the vase. Thanks again, Tom! :eek::D:eek::D:eek:

I can assure you that the Cherry that Tom sent is much larger! ;)

Karl Card
09-14-2010, 7:00 PM
OKAY so we have a huge dime here.....lol

I have quite a bit of pen blanks and still so many more that I want. Hopefully here soon I will be going on a rampage. errrr penpage errr something like that..

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 7:21 PM
That's funny... You caught me completely by surprise!

John Keeton
09-14-2010, 8:40 PM
his largest piece of apple wood ...a couple of chunks of walnut and a VERY large piece of cherry.:)
All in a $4.95 flat rate box!!!!:D

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I forgot to post the last photo of the vase. Thanks again, Tom! :eek::D:eek::D:eek:
;)
I busted a gut when I saw this pic!! :D:D:D:D

Tom Hamilton
09-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Robert, I missed the first post, thanks for the PM heads up.

Man, I was scratching my head thinking, the big piece was cherry, I'm surprised you mis-ID'd it as apple. Then the last pic! LOL, I'd forgotten about the apple box-filler pieces.

That's very clever and must require some pretty precise tool work. We need to find some tiny flowers to complete the illusion.

Trading blanks is always great fun and produces interesting side-bar stories. Our trade is no exception.

Thanks, Tom
Chapel Hill Turning Studio
Douglasville, GA