PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Bowls

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 4:56 PM
Ok, no laughing, please!!! I post these with extreme humility.

I turned my first bowls this weekend. I made some obvious mistakes. I think the Professor on Gilligan's Island could have made some more impressive stuff out of coconut shells. But you gotta start somewhere, right?!

3" walnut.

All critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
09-14-2010, 5:04 PM
They look great! Like the second one/cup a lot. From what I have seen, most beginners tend to make bowls that are pretty steep sided. At least I did, and I am barely past that stage. That shape is more difficult when it comes to finishing the inside so I think you did very well!:)

Roger Chandler
09-14-2010, 5:33 PM
Congratulations! They are nice for firsts! A lot of turners wish their firsts were as nice as these.......you show promise, and will develop much as you do new pieces.

Mike Willeson
09-14-2010, 5:47 PM
Great start Prashun. No shame in either of those bowls.

Are you enjoying it?

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 6:07 PM
Are you enjoying it?

Yes, unlike flatwork, the process brings as much enjoyment as the end. I love the fluidity of it - that is, until I dig the gouge in, and tear out a huge hunk of whatnot.

David Christopher
09-14-2010, 6:23 PM
Prashun, there's nothing to laugh at here...I think you have done a great job

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 6:32 PM
Nicely done... Nothing wrong with either of them. As Baxter mentioned, deep and narrow can be a tough shape. Looking forward to seeing more.

Tony De Masi
09-14-2010, 6:38 PM
Very nicely done. As Baxter mentioned those steep side walls can be a real bugger but you seem to have done it quite well.

Joe Shinall
09-14-2010, 6:55 PM
Prashun, I'm not laughing at all. I'm crying. Your first bowls look much better than my first couple. My first was about an inch thick and full of tool marks. My 2nd does not exist anymore. It is in wood heaven in about 3 pieces.

Fred Perreault
09-14-2010, 8:12 PM
Prashun,
You did a fine first job, but if you keep at it, your future work will be terrific. We all started at the beginning, and practice and perseverance permitted most of us to advance our technique and finished product. The only exception to this model appears to be John Keeton.... it is claimed that he is from another planet. :)

gary Zimmel
09-14-2010, 8:14 PM
Got to love those first things coming off the lathe.. Gets us even deeper into this vortex.
Nice job on those first bowls Prashun. Looking forward to the next ones.

Lee Koepke
09-14-2010, 8:19 PM
very cool Prashun .... haven't turned my first bowl yet ... but its on its way! I hope mine work out so well.

I agree with you (so far) about the process .. in regards to flatwork. I still like some flatwork stuff, but I have always enjoyed the creation process, and turning prolongs that process, so I am looking forward to it.

Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
09-14-2010, 8:54 PM
Prashun - those are some really nice looking bowls! You should be happy with your achievement! Make sure you sign and date the bowls - there are only one 1st bowl and you will be amazed at how much your abilities and sense of style change with the first year of turning!

Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2010, 9:06 PM
Those are nice looking bowls. I don't see a thing to laugh about.

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 9:13 PM
Nope, not laughing. Those are fine pieces that I would have been proud to call my first....or fifth....or twelfth....or umpteenth.

John Keeton
09-14-2010, 9:15 PM
Great job, Prashun!!! No wonder you were having a little difficulty with the gouge - that second bowl is a challenge for anyone!

Jake Helmboldt
09-14-2010, 9:21 PM
Yes, unlike flatwork, the process brings as much enjoyment as the end. I love the fluidity of it - that is, until I dig the gouge in, and tear out a huge hunk of whatnot.

Yup! With my limited time I love the freedom of starting or stopping and just letting the process be what it is. Just turn and see what happens. Sometimes good...sometimes not so good. But almost always fun.

I'd say your first two bowls are more than acceptable firsts. Proportions are nice, shapes are nice. And as Baxter said, that steep bowl is much more challenging so I'd say you are off to a great start.

Thomas Canfield
09-14-2010, 9:58 PM
I have to agree with the other comments that they are nice looking bowls. The deep bowl really looks good and that is a much more difficult shape, deep. The more shallow bowls at first are a lot easier to get a smooth contour with the bowl gouge rather than making the sharper change at the bottom. Keep at it.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I never finished my first bowl. I just hacked away at a hunk of wood. It looked more like a "V" than a nice bowl. You are much better off than me. Very nice fist bowls. Heck, they look like mine do now...:o Nothing to laugh about. Except remembering MY first bowl trials..... I think I finally managed to finish my 3rd bowl. Now I look back, and I blame my crappy Craftsman lathe.

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Prashun, you did really well!! I like 'em both!! You might want to hang on to these. In a few months you can look back and see how much you've progressed! I'll feel safe in predicting you'll go far, fast. Well done!
And, keep on asking questions. That's the best way to get answers. :D

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
My first "bowl" would have had to be stored in a bag because it was little more than a pile of shavings and some small' jagged lumps of wood. Not bad... not bad at all!