PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw dust collection

Brian Knop
12-16-2004, 12:31 AM
I have a 14” jet bandsaw. As we all know, the dust collection on these is poor at best. I have heard and read of people adding another hose into the lower door. I was hoping that someone has a picture of this. I don’t really want to start drilling larger holes into the wrong places.

Thanks Brian :confused:

Norman Hitt
12-16-2004, 4:10 AM
Brian, different brand/model saws, due to their differences in inside dimensions, baffles, etc., will all react differently to the placement of the DC outlet hole, so if you don't get a reply from someone that has the same saw that has done this, I have a suggestion that might help.

You might remove the lower door and then clamp a piece of hardboard in it's place, and then experiment with different hole placements until you see which location gives the best results, (or if the results are even worth doing), and if so, then cut the hole in your door and reinstall it. This would be a cheap solution, and would possibly keep you from ruining your door unnecessarily.

You might have to seal around the hardboard with some duct tape while doing the tests, to assure proper results. I have often wondered if placing an air tube located on the inner side of the bandsaw blade, pointing at the blade and toward the front DC outlet would help clear the dust from the blade and also get it moving toward the outlet, as well as helping keep the blade cool. it probably souldn't take much pressure or volume to do this when the saw is running. (Just another wild thought I've had)

Good Luck

Doug Abbott
12-16-2004, 1:11 PM
I made a very simple setup that does not require butchering your saw at all. It seems to be 95% plus effective. Basically some 3" ABS pipe cut at an angle and that goes under teh table and surrounds the blade that is held on by a sinlge screw for easy removal and it also connects secondarily to the origanl port, both for additional support and secondary collection. Works great. No mods to your saw required. e-mail me if you want a picture.

Martin Lutz
12-16-2004, 1:24 PM
Brian, I have a 14" Delta saw that has a Delta dust collection fitting for it. it has a 5" outlet that there is an adaptor for to make it 4" etc. It really works quite well with either my shop DC or a shop vac. it collects just below the table in the area of the guide bearings. very little dust gets to the bottom wheel area. You might try looking online for this attachment. I've had mine about 5 yrs and ordered it with the saw. good luck.

Doug Abbott
12-16-2004, 1:33 PM
I said you could e-mail me, but this forum doesn't make that easy to do. I says I don't accept e-mails, no idea why. Anyway, it's dabbott@hollandhart.com