PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass or Fescue? That is the Question

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok, it's lawn reseeding time in the Northeast (New Jersey). I'm in the midst of replacing a lot of my 'topsoil', read 'builder scraps' with compost. I'm going to reseed too. Typically, I've been using Jonathan Greene's "Black Beauty" which is a blend of tall and fine fescues with a smattering of Kentucky Blue in there.

I've been thinking to move to Kentucky Blue, though. Any thoughts? I'm not averse to active maintenence of it...

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Poa pratensis L. is tough to mow and likes a soil that is base with lots of bicarbonate and calcium in it. It works well in sandy limestone or shale based soils too as any one in FL can tell you.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2010, 1:39 PM
And here I thought you were talking about music.

I usually enjoy listening to blue grass, haven't heard much fescue.

jtk

Ben Hatcher
09-14-2010, 2:36 PM
I'm looking into the same project. My choice is improved Kentucky blue and improved perenial rye. The fescue is too fine and doesn't mow well in my opinion. Of course, if you have a lot of shade, fescue may be your only choice.

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 2:46 PM
I'm gonna go for the KBG. I agree about the Fescue. The ryegrass isn't that attractive, IMHO. It's just there bkz it grows fast and makes everyone feel good.

Al Wasser
09-14-2010, 3:52 PM
You might want to pay a visit to your county agent if you have one in those parts. Before you make a selection you need to give some consideration to how the lawn will be used. If you have kids and dogs go for the Blue grass as it will rejuvenate itself and fescue will not. Fescue tends to look rougher and needs less water and fertilizer input. It is gaining in popularity out here because it takes less water and our water bills are high. You probably don't need to water as much. I won't begin to talk to your soils and any inherent problems that may bring.

Larry Frank
09-14-2010, 9:40 PM
You should ask what is the best mix of grasses for your area. Blue grass grows very well in the spring and fall for me but goes dormant in the hotter months. The fescue grasses do better in the heat. Most good yards will have a mixture of grasses that will keep the lawn looking good most of the year. I try to over-seed the yard with a blend or mixture every few years to maintain the different types of grasses.

I have seen some grass seed mixtures advertised as more drought tolerent and need less water due to deep roots. I do not know if this is just a lot of talk or a real thing.