PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a small burl.

Jack Mincey
09-14-2010, 6:41 AM
I had this small bump of a burl on a large blank of ambrosia maple last year so I thought it was worth turning something from. The form is around 5" in dia. by 4" high. It is finished with deft.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2435.jpg

John Keeton
09-14-2010, 7:13 AM
Jack, that piece certainly deserved some special attention!!! Really a pretty piece of wood, and the form lets it make the statement. Love the NE collar/rim - a real challenge to keep that on while hollowing!

Jeff Nicol
09-14-2010, 7:23 AM
Jack, It is a very nice little HF, you did the little bumb proud! I have so many little pieces of burl and wood that I could fill the back of my truck a few times, I have a hard time parting with it. But I have been sending it out in boxes as filler and that is helping, but then I cut up a bunch of blanks and end up with more! Maybe I need to have a fire sale!!

Very nice NE on the HF too!

Jeff

David E Keller
09-14-2010, 9:12 AM
That's great, Jack. I love forms like this, and the bark edge is fantastic.

Michael James
09-14-2010, 9:43 AM
Excellent piece of wood, work and finish. 1 of a kind. Im starting a ranch for wayward homeless turnings. That's a keeper fer sure! Congrats.
mj

charlie knighton
09-14-2010, 9:44 AM
very nice.....

bob svoboda
09-14-2010, 9:46 AM
Beautiful Jack. I really like the natural rim around the opening.

Rob Cunningham
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Very nice HF Jack. I like the bark around the opening and the overall form and finish.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-14-2010, 1:41 PM
I had this small bump of a burl on a large blank of ambrosia maple last year so I thought it was worth turning something from. The form is around 5" in dia. by 4" high. It is finished with deft.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2435.jpg

That sure is a nice piece of wood Jack, and I don't think you could have found a better shape to show the grain and coloration and then to top it off with the bark really set it off, very beautiful little turning, well done and thanks for showing.

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 2:06 PM
Jack, that's awesome!
I'm guessing that you basic shaped the outside... then did the inside hollowing... then finished the outside shape around the rim... otherwise... Keeping that bark at just the opening had to have been an exercise in patience...
How far off am I?

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 3:33 PM
It was definitely "worth turning something from"!!! I usually don't care for the look of bark on turned pieces but this is an exceptional use of it and it works.

Baxter Smith
09-14-2010, 4:43 PM
That is really nice! I am curious about something this size. Did you rough turn this then let dry or turn to final thickness the first time around. Looks like something fun to try and you did it exceedingly well!

Jack Mincey
09-14-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. To answer a few questions on this project. I turned the outside first as I do all my bowls or HF's and then hollowed it out to around 1/2" thick including the ring of bark at the top. I put it in a brown paper bag and let it dry for a month or two and then returned the outside first and then returned the inside until it was under a 1/4" thick including the bark top. I didn't sand the inside any, but did put a coat or two of finish on the inside to control the amount of moisture that it breathes in and out.
Thanks Again,
Jack

David Christopher
09-14-2010, 6:20 PM
Jack, that is a beauty

brian watts
09-14-2010, 6:45 PM
very very nice....

Cathy Schaewe
09-14-2010, 7:47 PM
Beautiful!!

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Sweet little hollow form, Jack, definitely worth the time to see what was in the "bump".

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Man - that is nice! Sure like the wood and all it's colors! Having the bark left at the opening really makes this piece different!

Very nice work Jack! Thanks for sharing!