PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Products...

TONG LI
09-14-2010, 3:29 AM
Reading the media kit of A&E magazine, I found that every year's Oct issue, there are some featured articles about memorial products.
I am just curious, how many people in engraving business are actually sell memorial products, what kind of memorial products people sell?

I haven't read any of the featured articles yet, don't know what's going on in the engraving world. But knowing that some memorial retailers who has laser machine trying to branch out to award and engraving market, it would be very interesting to know how many engravers trying to explore high margin memorial market?

Tong Li

Frank Corker
09-14-2010, 4:06 AM
Hi, there are one or two here who have machines big enough to do full size memorial stones. It has to be a big machine that can take the weights involved. I have found here in the UK the tendency is to find that laser engraved memorial headstones tend to be cornered by slightly more adventurous stone masons.

Dan Ashlin
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
We do a good bit of personal memorial plates for gardens, park benches, etc. out of rowmark exterior gold plastic. Not a lot in stone though. We did do a granite piece for one customer. She spelled her mother's maiden name wrong though and accused me of making the mistake. Luckily, I keep the papers people bring in lol.

TONG LI
09-14-2010, 4:29 PM
We do a good bit of personal memorial plates for gardens, park benches, etc. out of rowmark exterior gold plastic. Not a lot in stone though. We did do a granite piece for one customer. She spelled her mother's maiden name wrong though and accused me of making the mistake. Luckily, I keep the papers people bring in lol.

All memorial retailers ask the customers to sign the final proof, before carving, sandblasting or laser engraving. Even though they run into problems of gray area. For thousands dollar of memorial, that's a big deal. Memorial is a high margin, but low volume market. For engravers branch into it, all your overhead and equipment are all covered. So, I thought it is very interesting for A&E magazine to promote memorial products for engravers.

Tong

Michael Wintermute
09-14-2010, 5:18 PM
I have done a small amount(less than 20) of black granite with poems, photos, and/or DOB-DOD ranging from 6"-hearts(were actualy inlayed into headstone) to grass markers(12"x24") which needs to be mounted on a slab of concrete for support, and two 7"x5" adheared to existing(parent(s) headstone when creamated and ashes burried on the same plot.
All placing and mounting was done by the monument co or the customer.

Mike