PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Rant

Mike Wellner
09-14-2010, 1:11 AM
So not alway having someone there to assist when cutting sheet goods, I like to have plywood cut on a panel saw if the opportunity exists because its safer.
Well so I grab a 3/8" 4x8 plywood. I ask some random person in the tool department to cut this plywood. He seemed pretty clueless and ill trained regarding operation. First cut had a 1/16" taper. Second cut was rough like waves. Saw didn't seem like it was feeding nice, but rough. He repeatedly fed the plywood back into the blade for some reason which is unsafe. I gave up, grabbed another sheet of plywood. Only took me a minute to rip it by myself at home using a stand.

Well someone is going to get hurt because the local HD failed to take this saw out of service to properly fix and align.
Obviously needs a new blade.

Rick Vincent
09-14-2010, 1:27 AM
I worked for home depot part time and they justcuts close you are just getting small enough to hall they most of time have a sign that sayes I 'm sure he thought the same about you cause i had those feelings to I is suppose cash & carry

Mike Wellner
09-14-2010, 2:38 AM
I worked for home depot part time and they justcuts close you are just getting small enough to hall they most of time have a sign that sayes I 'm sure he thought the same about you cause i had those feelings to I is suppose cash & carry

Wrong idea. My post concerns safety. An accident waiting to happen.

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 5:54 AM
I've had me thing happen. The blade seemed so dull, the cut was burning and he was really trying hard to pull the wood thru the cut.

I hope you advised the guy of the safety issue or brought it up to the manager. You never know when you could be in one of those John Quinones "What Would You Do?" moments:

If you see something wrong, help fix it.

Joe Chritz
09-14-2010, 7:52 AM
Stupid hurts.

Try to stay out of the blast zone.

If you want to do the right thing than mention it to a store manager and call it good.

Joe

Chris Damm
09-14-2010, 8:23 AM
Why are you buying at a borg anyway? All I have ever seen in their plywood racks isn't worth using for anything anyway!

Lance Norris
09-14-2010, 8:37 AM

^^ pretty much explains it for me ^^

glenn bradley
09-14-2010, 8:53 AM
Unfortunately, that experience sounds typical. Ply at my lumber yard is a few dollars more for twice the quality but, we are not all lucky enough to have a yard nearby.

Zach England
09-14-2010, 9:54 AM

Is this supposed to be sardonic?

Dan Hintz
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Is this supposed to be sardonic?
I was thinking more cynically disdainful than sardonic...

:p

Van Huskey
09-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Miraculously inciteful as well.

Charlie Reals
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I am no way defending HD lol butt I had the same thing happen at a high dollar lumber yard. I needed some Maple and Purple heart crosscut for length. The grown man using the saw could have cut it by hand faster. The blade he was using needed replaced 500 cuts ago.:(

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey folks...

The guy working at the bottom of the food chain often doesn't have the horsepower to buy a new blade and have it installed.

However, if you approach someone in management and respectfully inform them that the blade on their saw is obviously dull and is a safety hazard that could lead to someone getting injured, that person may get something done about it.

Mike Henderson
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
This isn't the same thing, but a few times I went to Home Depot to buy some MDF. I can't carry a whole sheet so I always get it cut in half. Last two times they told me they don't cut MDF.

So I go over to Lowe's and they cut it no problem. I don't have a clue why HD wouldn't cut MDF.

Mike

Jerome Hanby
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
This isn't the same thing, but a few times I went to Home Depot to buy some MDF. I can't carry a whole sheet so I always get it cut in half. Last two times they told me they don't cut MDF.

So I go over to Lowe's and they cut it no problem. I don't have a clue why HD wouldn't cut MDF.

Mike

Probably the same reason that about half the time they won't cut PT. Heard something about cutting those materials that they half remember and use as an excuse to get out of work...

Mike Wellner
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Why are you buying at a borg anyway? All I have ever seen in their plywood racks isn't worth using for anything anyway!

Just plywood is cheaper. I buy 2x4s and 2x6s from my local lumberyard and support them.

A Menards is being built next door. I don't think my town needs a Menards. Its the Walmart of big box hardware stores.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2010, 1:02 PM

:p

I still haven't been able to figure out what is being said. It does look like English, but I am a little rusty on my southern dialects.

jtk

Matt Hankins
09-14-2010, 1:56 PM
I witnessed a big box store employee cross cutting a PT 2 x 10 in half with the panel saw. I would guess that was the only equipment available as I didn't see a RAS. Thankfully everyone made out OK, but it sure sounded and looked ugly. I should have tracked down a manager, but I didn't. I would hate to see someone, employee or customer, get hurt because the correct machines weren't available. It seems to me that it is up to us as knowledgeable users of these machines to point this out. I always wonder how it will be taken.

Matt

Eric DeSilva
09-14-2010, 1:56 PM
Probably the same reason that about half the time they won't cut PT. Heard something about cutting those materials that they half remember and use as an excuse to get out of work...

That was my experience. They wouldn't halve a sheet of MDF for me, and the guy explained that it chipped and was a safety issue. After I scratched my head a bit, I realized there was probably a prohibition on cutting formica or something. I checked in with a manager and got my MDF cut no problem.

My worst experience, however, was asking an HD guy to make a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" oak veneer ply into two 4x4 pieces. He jammed the saw through the sheet so violently that the veneer was splintered up to 5" away from the cut. The sheet looked like it had been torn in half by the Hulk, not cut.

Zach England
09-14-2010, 2:31 PM
I witnessed a big box store employee cross cutting a PT 2 x 10 in half with the panel saw. I would guess that was the only equipment available as I didn't see a RAS. Thankfully everyone made out OK, but it sure sounded and looked ugly. I should have tracked down a manager, but I didn't. I would hate to see someone, employee or customer, get hurt because the correct machines weren't available. It seems to me that it is up to us as knowledgeable users of these machines to point this out. I always wonder how it will be taken.

Matt

I was told by an employee at HD that they had removed the RAS from all the stores because too many employees had been injured.

EDIT: This was actually at Lowes. The two aren't very distinct in my mind.

Rod Sheridan
09-14-2010, 2:38 PM
In Canada the stores have RAS's in them with a large guard on the table.

I guess if they removed the RAS's they would have problems cross cutting timbers, as a CMS wouldn't be as safe as the RAS with the guard system.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Wellner
09-14-2010, 3:43 PM
I was told by an employee at HD that they had removed the RAS from all the stores because too many employees had been injured.

This HD had a Delta RAS to the back wall.

Jeff Dorlan
09-14-2010, 4:17 PM

Sometimes the sum of the letters and words are FAR MORE telling than the sum of said letters and words. I'm sure glad I didn't need to frequent your store...Sheesh! ;)

Zach England
09-14-2010, 5:04 PM
This HD had a Delta RAS to the back wall.

I need to correct myself. I believe this was actually at Lowes.

Jim Rimmer
09-14-2010, 9:38 PM
What :confused: A few capital letters and a little punctuation might help.

Rick Frye
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I was at a Lowe's an asked for several sheets of osb to be split in two.. the associate about went through the complete inventory before he got 8 parts that were 24" wide each??????