PDA

View Full Version : Replace tubes

Ryan Harrington
09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Good evening all,
I tend to stay on the furniture end of woodworking, and have never made a pen. My wife has a wood pen that she really likes, but has managed to break the mechanism inside. Can anyone suggest a way to get it out? How do I put a new one in once I get it?

Thanks,
Ryan

David E Keller
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Photos would be helpful, but a set of transfer punches can be used to get most pens apart. Depending on the style of pen, replacement parts can be ordered from a number of places. Hard to be more specific without seeing the pen.:o

James Combs
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Pen "dis-assembly" is a hit and miss operation. It doesn't always go well. That being said; when punching out the mechanism you will need to hold the barrel securely but without damaging the finish. You can use a lathe turning collet of appropriate size or lacking a collet I have drilled a slip fit hole through a soft wood such as a pine 2x4 and then split the hole with a long saw kerf. This allows me to slip the pen barrel into the hole and clamp the wood closed on the barrel with a clamp. The soft wood prevents damage but generally holds the barrel secure enough to allow me to knock out the pen parts with appropriate size drift punches, sometimes. You will need a long skinny punch to go through the pen nib and reach the defective twist mechanism.

Once you get the old mechanism out it is just a mater of pressing in the new one. You can do that with your drill press (with no power) by chucking up a plastic toilet bowl bolt and stand the pen on some hard wood. Press in the new part a little ways, install the refill and check how far the pen protrudes, if not far enough remove the refill and press it a little farther. Just keep repeating until the point protrudes properly.

BTW "Wood Whimsies dot com" has a couple different twist mechanisms but if you can't find the appropriate replacement mechanism online just go to your local Woodcraft store and by an entire pen kit that contains the correct mechanism. It will only be a few bucks, most likely less then $5 depending on the kit unless you are talking about a high end job then it might run ~$20.

Michael James
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Can you open it up like you were going to change cartridges? That would make the matter easier. Most twist apart at the middle or 1 of the ends. The rest of the process is in James' response.

Karl Card
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
it is a little tougher taking them apart than putting them together but I use a orange mallet (the kind with sand inside the head) and I hold the pen in my hand using a disassembly set i have and I usually do pretty good getting them apart and saving the pieces.

But basically just as the others have said, give us some pics and I am sure we can lead you in the right direction. If you need parts that you dont have let me know and if I have them I will send them to you.