PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a new Powermatic planer

Philip Johnson
09-13-2010, 8:40 PM
Well did anyone actually get a new Powermatic planer from Rockler yesterday?
I got a phone call and the order was canceled.

Phil

mreza Salav
09-13-2010, 8:43 PM
I was looking for that thread to see what happened. I knew the outcome but wanted to see the reactions.

Jacob Mac
09-13-2010, 8:49 PM
There is a thread in the deals and discounts section. But I am pretty sure no one expected anything different. The only way anyone could possibly expect anything is if you could sue and win, and I am not saying that is possible, and that would take years.

Jeff Miller
09-13-2010, 8:52 PM
Everyone got one ............plus a $1000.00 gift card and a free trip to the factory to see them being built:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

JEFF:)

Dave MacArthur
09-13-2010, 8:53 PM
Well, got the expected call tonight. They were graceful, I was graceful, it was a good laugh for all. Then I bought some bench cookies and a router height-gauge, which I wouldn't have. So Rockler came out ahead on the whole deal after all ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-13-2010, 9:01 PM
The original thread got moved to the Moderator's Forum as it just became a flaming war.

The thread belonged in the Deals and Discounts Forum to begin with......the OP doesn't have privileges to post there.....and then it just became a flaming war on morality. So I elected to move it as the work to edit it didn't justify the time based on the content that would have remained.

Howard Skillington
09-13-2010, 9:54 PM
Mine arrived this afternoon. (I paid extra for express delivery)

I'm pleased with it, though they didn't get exactly the custon color I was hoping for.

Shawn Stennett
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I got a $20 dollar gift card, I was happy. I found the morality argument funny, a while back when Sears had an opps with the Worksharp for 17.99 I dont remember anyone having any issues with that. Does it make it worse because it is a larger amount of money, I don't see a difference. They did exactly what we all thought they would, the lady I spoke to was very nice and said that they were having to call 350 people.

Mark Woodmark
09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I received 23 of them this morning and sold all of them in about an hour. Rockler called and wanted them back, but I had to tell them they were all gone. Actually I talked to Rockler this morning and cancelled my orders after the price correction. I told them about the forums and how everyone was ordering at least one. Their response was "That explains all the orders"

Peter Quinn
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I had a very polite conversation with a women from Rockler that explained the typo and asked if I should still like to receive the planner at the $1999.99 price. I told her that I very much would like to receive the planner but did not have the money at this time so she graciously cancelled my order. Frankly I was relieved, as I had stayed up worrying where the heck I was going to put such a large machine and how to get it in my basement.:D

Honestly, did anyone actually believe they would get a $2k planner for less than the cost of the knives in it? I ordered one, and it was exciting suspending my disbelief and hoping it would actually arrive, but when reality returned, I found myself not angry but greatly humored at having been a part of the great planner pricing mishap. I like Rockler as a company and continue to hold them in very high regard. And besides, I really want the spiral head version!

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
And besides, I really want the spiral head version!

I had already priced the Byrd head at Holbren, I knew I wouldn't get it but it was worth a few hours of fun!

Dan Friedrichs
09-13-2010, 10:51 PM
So... 350 people, $20 each = $7k typo.

Chris Padilla
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Someone got hollered at today at Rocklers me thinks.... :)

Jacob Mac
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM

I bet they did not give everyone the $20. I bet only the people who complained got something.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I bet they did not give everyone the $20. I bet only the people who complained got something.

You are correct, I have only seen 2-3 people out of 40 or so that posted on various sites say they got one and it involved at least some level of complaint. Me I just said I figured, no problem, thanks for calling.

Trent Whitehead
09-14-2010, 12:59 AM

Nope. No gift card here. I just thanked them and canceled the planer order.
No complaint from my end.

Dave MacArthur
09-14-2010, 1:29 AM
Indeed, I'd guess very few complained their way into a coupon. I got exactly a bit of excitement and some humor, and a kind phone call. Didn't really want more, unless for some reason it was all NOT a big mistake, then I'd be happy to buy a planer for $350. Well, I did want to be part of the "Great Planer Hoax of 2010".

Jerome Stanek
09-14-2010, 6:14 AM
I didn't get the $20 and I ordered 2. Just a call saying it was a mistake. I wonder who the lucky person was that got the one that they have to sell at that price.

greg a bender
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
My order was canceled as well. Nice polite conversation. I did ask how many they sold and the lady said, "None, but a LOT were ordered." ;)

Dan Hintz
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
My order finally says "Call customer service". Oh well... worth a shot!

Van Huskey
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
My order was canceled as well. Nice polite conversation. I did ask how many they sold and the lady said, "None, but a LOT were ordered." ;)

Considering Rockler charges extra for shipping for an item that drop ships and most everyone else doesn't and they have to charge tax in a number of states I would not be surprised they didn't sell any at 1999.

Dave Sweeney
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Someone got hollered at today at Rocklers me thinks.... :)

I think someone gets yelled at over at Rocklers' on a pretty regular basis. Their track record for typos and misprints is pretty dismal. A quick course in proof reading 101 would seem to be in order.

Jacob Mac
09-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Considering Rockler charges extra for shipping for an item that drop ships and most everyone else doesn't and they have to charge tax in a number of states I would not be surprised they didn't sell any at 1999.

Totally agree. In general, I have never been impressed with Rockler on a number of fronts. I would not buy shop equipment from them because their business model just can't compete with others. But to each their own.

Chris Padilla
09-14-2010, 2:05 PM
Rockler is pretty good for hardware...sometimes they have stuff no one else has and even if someone has it and I need it TODAY, I can make a 50 mile drive to their store to pick it up (assuming it is in stock). I normally only order stuff from them if it is on sale...or if there is an egregious typo. ;)

Mike OMelia
09-14-2010, 4:24 PM
Rockler is pretty good for hardware...sometimes they have stuff no one else has and even if someone has it and I need it TODAY, I can make a 50 mile drive to their store to pick it up (assuming it is in stock). I normally only order stuff from them if it is on sale...or if there is an egregious typo. ;)

I agree, I've always had good dealings with Rockler. I even got the coolest top AND bottom bearing pattern bit for $29 shipped...normally $59+s&h and I could find it nowhere else (well, at least at that price!!)

mike

David Cramer
09-15-2010, 7:27 AM
Many will disagree and that's okay:), but.......although mistakes are made I truly believe that many times it is done intentionally. Why? It creates publicity for Rockler, increases their website trafffic (hits), and just as important it makes people want to go to their website to look for more mistakes, mistakes that aren't as large and that they are willing to let go for x amount of time.

I purchased a product about a year and a half ago at company XYZ and they were fine when I ordered 5 and the item was about $10 less than it normally was, but when I ordered another 35 the brakes were put on and I was sent back to go (the item wasn't on sale, it was an error or "intentional typo"). I wasn't going to sell the product for a profit, I was simply striking while the iron was hot by stocking up on something that I will always use.

That's my 3 cents.

David

Gary Muto
09-15-2010, 7:52 AM
My order had a note to call CS. Since I'm a regular customer to my local store as well as Rockler.com I thought I'd give it a try. I was told of the mistake, it was cancelled. No offer for a gift card and I didn't ask for one either. I was told they had about 3000 planers ordered. I have absolutely no hard feelings and will continue to support Rockler. Everyone makes mistake. Think about all of the typographical errors you see on this forum and even in copyrighted print. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockler's pricing errors are in the parts per millon range considering their entire site.

Shawn Stennett
09-15-2010, 1:13 PM
Like I said before I did get a gift card but I did not complain. I was just talking to the very polite lady about how many were ordered and asked her how many people were rude or got upset. She said that she had a few get worked up and she had to give them a gift card and I guess since she told me that she felt like I expected one too. I thought it was funny because she said the it was obviously a mistake like ten times in our conversion

Kevin Womer
09-15-2010, 4:12 PM
I had a tough time placing an order in the first place, after my wife told me to do it and called me "yellow" in a not so polite way, I ordered one. I was not surprised when I got a call as well, I was polite as was the woman on the other end. No mention of a gift card by either of us and that was fine with me. That would have been one sweet planer though, instead of my 12 and 1/2" Delta I have to live with now.