PDA

View Full Version : Mystery wood

David Christopher
09-13-2010, 8:33 PM
I found this piece of wood in my barn..it has been there for a long time....I dont know what kind of wood it is..I thought it looked pretty plain so I put 2 turquoise pin stripes, but after a little finish it started to look better....anyway here it is..13" X 3" gloss lacquer..will buff when cured

David E Keller
09-13-2010, 9:07 PM
That's great. It seems like the turquoise coloring is reflected within the wood itself... That's neat.

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 9:09 PM
Great form, beautiful finish, and the stripe [inlace] are fantastic! Two for 2 this evening......both home runs!

John Keeton
09-13-2010, 9:13 PM
I like what you have done with this one, David! Really nice!

Not sure on the wood - looks a little like maple, but a bit dark. Could be some kind of fruitwood - apple perhaps??

Karl Card
09-13-2010, 9:23 PM
that is just downright beautiful. I have no clue on the wood, got a couple of ideas but to afraid to say.

That finish is to die for...

Tom Sherman
09-13-2010, 9:34 PM
Very nice David, this one is just plain sharp. The wood kinda reminds me of some poplar.

Josh Bowman
09-13-2010, 9:36 PM
That's purtty! I really like the rings.

Tony Greenway
09-13-2010, 9:48 PM
Dave, I've got the same looking wood that I'm turning now. I don't have any finish on it yet, but my local tree guy said it was ELM, so that's my guess on yours.

Baxter Smith
09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Very nice David! Where do you get your turqoise from? I would like to try that.

David Christopher
09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Very nice David! Where do you get your turqoise from? I would like to try that.

Baxter, a friend of mine went to visit his sister in Az and brought me some back

Jon Lanier
09-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Whatever it is, it's a keeper!

Nathan Hawkes
09-14-2010, 6:56 AM
Baxter, a friend of mine went to visit his sister in Az and brought me some back

David, this is a pretty bowl! Not that we're playing the "name that wood" game, but I'd put my money on poplar if we were. The reddish brown streaks in the sapwood are a ringer for me. On the turquoise, I've made a similar maple bowl, and I have to give you a hand for the stone crushing itself. Turquoise is a fairly hard stone, and not very easy to crush into a fine powder with an ordinary mortar and pestle. Trust me; I know this from experience! ;)

Jeff Nicol
09-14-2010, 7:08 AM
The bowl is very pretty and glossy! Glossy is not really my thing but sometimes it works. With the gray shades and the yellow to pinkish tones it lends itself to Box Elder that has sat around awhile. I have some that looks almost identical. The grain is nothing like elm and the colors are not what you see in Elm, it is more brown, tan to gray with the zig-zags in the grain and is hard as a rock when left to dry for a while before turning. The yellow poplar is another great guess as it does have the darker gray,brown to greenish heart wood. If it was pretty soft and easy to turn then it is a guess of either, Poplar, Cottonwood, Box Elder or possibly Red Maple which is the cousin of the Box elder.

Hope that confused everyone!

Great bowl,

Jeff

Peter Hay in Aus
09-14-2010, 9:00 AM
Dave,
Two things are outstanding with your work, firstly finding in your barn this piece of and your workmanship using the familiar shape of the bowl

Then the mirroring finish following the most tasteful decoration I have seen in a long time breaking the mold so to speak of normality.

Since in my advancing ageI have chosen Pen Making as a preference this bowl reminds me why twenty odd years ago I made a lathe and turned bowls my first love.

Among the thousands of pieces of timber I have from all over the names formerly so familiar are fading but far more important is the finished item that becomes an object no longer a name to remember but admire for itself,too often the name can take away from the piece if we can allow ourselves the privilige involved in the pleasure created.

Thank you.
Peter.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-14-2010, 1:32 PM
I guess I could copy your post Jeff, right from the shiny to the wood choice, my first look said probably Acer Negundo (box Elder) certainly doesn't look like Elm, and I don't think it is Tulip wood, the coloration on that would give you a darker center not lighter as in this piece, anyway I'd say Manitoba Maple/Box Elder/Acer Negundo as most probable :-))

David it looks like a very nice bowl, a profile shot would tell us more and I would like to see one if possible :D :eek:

bob svoboda
09-14-2010, 3:12 PM
That is REALLY nice.

Baxter Smith
09-14-2010, 4:46 PM
[QUOTE=David Christopher;1512787]Baxter, a friend of mine went to visit his sister in Az and brought me some back[/QUOTE

Thanks David. Again, very nice job on the inlay.

Greg Bender
09-14-2010, 5:15 PM
David,
that is really nice ,great shape and finish.Is that not Box Elder?Grain and red striping looks similar.
Greg

Terry Murphy
09-14-2010, 7:52 PM
I love it!

Terry

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Very nice form and I love the turquoise in the rim.

I was thinking along the lines of box elder as well, David, given the pinkish tinges and the lighter-than-poplar heartwood, but then you mentioned you will buff it out when it cures for a while....you mean to say it can get even shinier???:eek: