PDA

View Full Version : Beading tool question

Don Dorn
09-13-2010, 8:08 PM
I'm in the market for a beading tool. I've ruled out the 66 style and even though I think it's fine, I don't want to ebay hunt forever and the LN is cost prohibitive for me. I'm also not interested in making one as I'm not confident of my filing skills to create profiles.

That leaves the question of the Veritas tools. One is wooden and one is metal. It seems the wooden one would allow far more distance from the fence, but the metal one seems to be a typical high quality Veritas tool bult lacks distance from the edge. Just wondering if anyone has either, when they think and would they do anything different if given the opportunity. Thank you for any feedback.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2010, 2:24 PM
Don,

As with many things, the tool to use depends on the purpose.

For my work, a combination plane seems to do the job.

If you want to do stopped beads, then a "scratch stock" style tool like the Stanley #66 is the way to go.

As far as making your own, it is easy, but the blades are available if you do not want to make them. Making a holder for the blades is easy.

jtk

Richard Verwoest
09-14-2010, 3:53 PM
Making a scratch stock is very easy. And the "scratch" is just as easy. Draw out the shape and file away. Try a few shapes out. Also, keep a few things in mind.
1. Type of wood to be scratched. Does it chip out easily?
2. Cross grain. Scratch stocks do not seem to work to well across the grain. This may make the decisions for you as far as wood type and pattern.
3. Sharpen often
4. Practice the way you hold the stock.

Try something simple and easy first.

Hoss