PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Turning Help......

Joe Scarfo
09-13-2010, 7:59 PM
Anybody in the Green Bay, WI area?

I've just been blessed, for a while anyway, with a 3520B. I've got some large bowl blanks and need some advise on mounting and turning....

Thanks
Joe

David E Keller
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm nowhere close to WI, but congrats on the mustard monster. There's bound to be a local turning club in the area, and that would be a great resource. Not sure how far you are from Eau Claire, but I believe that's where Jeff Nicol resides... I'd love to see his shop and shake his hand. You could do far worse than Jeff for a few pointers.

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Joe - Jeff is about 3 1/2 hours west of you, I'm 3 1/2 hours north if you feel like cooling off a little.

Congrats on the new lathe!

Joe Scarfo
09-14-2010, 9:28 AM
Thanks Guys....

I'm hoping for someone close enough to visit with me... that way I can use my turning tools, chucks, etc for the set up... I think I would get more out of the visit that way.....

Prashun Patel
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Joe-
I'm new to turning too. Have you checked out Bill Grumbine's "Turning Bowls Made Easy"? It shows all the basics.

Josh Bowman
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Do you have a Wood Craft store close? They will have a class and connect you with a club and other turners.

Northeastern Wisconsin Woodworkers Guild
846 Cornelius Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311
Web site: www.newwg.org (http://www.newwg.org)

Looks like the nearest Wood Craft is 30 miles south of you in Appleton Wi.
Michaels Dr. Appleton WI
54913 Phone: (920) 730-9663 Fax: (920) 739-8327
appleton-retail@woodcraft (appleton-retail@woodcraft)

Kim Ford
09-14-2010, 1:37 PM
Joe, I am in Plymouth about about 50 miles south. Message me through the form here and I will send you my e-mail address.

Thanks

Kim

Joe Scarfo
09-14-2010, 5:42 PM
Kim.....

Thanks so much, I've sent you a msg w/ my email address...

I know the basics like how to cut the blank, mounting the blank, etc....

Where I tend to run into trouble is turning the inside of the bowl. The outside seems to go ok...

I always find myself having the tool "get stuck" while turning the inside of the bowl... Not get stuck as in spearing the inside, but I'm having teqnique issues w/ the portion of the gouge that should be the "cutting edge" in contact with the bowl....

I look forward to hearing from you..

Joe

Joe Shinall
09-14-2010, 6:58 PM
Kim.....

Thanks so much, I've sent you a msg w/ my email address...

I know the basics like how to cut the blank, mounting the blank, etc....

Where I tend to run into trouble is turning the inside of the bowl. The outside seems to go ok...

I always find myself having the tool "get stuck" while turning the inside of the bowl... Not get stuck as in spearing the inside, but I'm having teqnique issues w/ the portion of the gouge that should be the "cutting edge" in contact with the bowl....

I look forward to hearing from you..

Joe

Joe I had the same problem. Have you tried grinding a new profile on your gouge to try? That's what I had to do to get a good enough edge to make good shavings. Before, I had to be absolutely perfect before it would cut. Now if I just get close, here we go.

Reed Gray
09-14-2010, 7:49 PM
Funny how almost no one has problems turning the outside of the bowl, but the inside is a whole different universe.

robo hippy

Joe Scarfo
09-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Joe...

I haven't tried that... but I do have a number of different roughing and bowl gouges... Given most of them were used and have slightly different grinds to them... I wasn't inclined to burn off more steel on the Sorby's till I knew what to do...

Tks
Joe

Joe Shinall
09-14-2010, 9:09 PM
Joe...

I haven't tried that... but I do have a number of different roughing and bowl gouges... Given most of them were used and have slightly different grinds to them... I wasn't inclined to burn off more steel on the Sorby's till I knew what to do...

Tks
Joe

Yeah I don't blame you there. I used a cheapy til I could find a good grind before i messed up my Sorby. I still haven't found that perfect grind but found something that works pretty well. I have found even a dull tool can cut when held at the right angle though. And every tool has a different one.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Since you've got my "dream lathe", get a sharpening device. I got a Tormek, and they have some "reccomended" settings. I chose one of them and haven't moved my jig since. I'm sure the Wolverine has some suggested settings too. In any case, since you got a good lathe, it would make sense to invest in a good sharpening device pronto. I had no idea how dull my tools were until I got the Tormek. Sharp tools makes turning soooo much funner.

Wally Dickerman
09-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Anybody in the Green Bay, WI area?

I've just been blessed, for a while anyway, with a 3520B. I've got some large bowl blanks and need some advise on mounting and turning....

Thanks
Joe

Joe, you have a good lathe to work with and lots offers for help. You mentioned that you have lots of large bowl blanks. My advice to you is to forget large bowls until you learn the techniques of using the tools. Start small and work your way up. Bigger is not necessarily better. I've taught turning classes for a lot of years and I would never start a beginner out with a bowl blank larger than 6 or 7 inches. After you've turned 20 or 30 small bowls, maybe you'll be ready for the bigger stuff.

And, do yourself a favor and take a lesson or two from an experienced turner. You'll be glad you did.

Wally

Joe Scarfo
09-22-2010, 9:59 PM
pics as proof of purchase... LOL

Joe Scarfo
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
The lathe included a moffet light attachment, but no light... who knows anything about a moffet light?

It also included a Powermatic dust collection shrowd I'll probably sell...

Tks
Joe

Joe Scarfo
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Kim Ford was kind enough to stop by last night for a few great hours of instruction....

Kim was great, patient, and very very knowledgeable...

Thanks too for the blanks and the bowls to pracctice on.

Joe

Kim Ford
09-24-2010, 1:29 PM
Thanks Joe, it was great to meet and spend some time with a fellow "Creeker" as well as turn on such a nice lathe.

Good luck and happy shavings.

Kim

Joe Scarfo
09-24-2010, 4:44 PM
Kim,

We got to plan a trip down for me... I would love to gawk at the antique lathe of yours as well....

I want to see that monster chuck you were telling me about as well....

Thanks again
Joe