PDA

View Full Version : Plywood in Boston area

Dick Holt
09-13-2010, 7:51 PM
I just bought a sheet of 1/4" cherry plywood from Downes and Reader last week for a display cabinet I am making for my daughter. It was B-2 rated. While it was fine for the backing for the cabinet, the back side was pretty ugly. I will be making all new cabinet doors for my kitchen soon and will need cherry plywood good both faces. Anyone know of a dealer in the Boston area where I can get this?

Joe Spear
09-13-2010, 8:06 PM
Highland Hardwoods on Rte. 125 in Brentwood, NH, has excellent plywood. I just made something with 3/4" mahogany ply that I got there. The two sides were a bit different in look, but they were both attractive, and it was just a question of preference as to which side I wanted to expose. The sheet was about $98. The 1/2" was only about $11 cheaper. They have cherry as well as several other veneers. From my house on 128 just north of the 93 interchange, it is about a 45-minute trip, 93N to 495N in Lawrence to Rte. 125 near Haverhill and then about another 20 minutes north from there. They also have a great selection of solid hardwoods. Google their website.

Dave Zellers
09-13-2010, 8:34 PM
I'll second Highland Hardwoods. Very nice operation.

Leo Graywacz
09-13-2010, 9:08 PM
Order MDF and you will get two good sides.

Don Jarvie
09-13-2010, 9:46 PM
Boulter Plywood in Somerville MA. They have al grades of most hardwood plywood.

Dave Zellers
09-14-2010, 8:09 AM

Just checked out their web site- very nice to know about.

Maik Tobin
09-14-2010, 8:26 AM

Great product....high prices. I have continually been disapointed with Downes & Reader to the point where I have not been there in over a year.
Atlantic Plywood in Providence is also a very good source for good quality ply.

Jeff Duncan
09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
If he's in Boston Altlantic Ply in Woburn would be much closer than Providence. Not the easiest people too deal with, or the cheapest, but they have a good inventory.
good luck,
JeffD

Leo Graywacz
09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
If he's in Boston Altlantic Ply in Woburn would be much closer than Providence. Not the easiest people too deal with, or the cheapest, but they have a good inventory.
good luck,
JeffD

Why would you say they are not easy to deal with? I use Atlantic Plywood in S. Windsor and I call them up and tell them what I want. I tell them if I want it delivered or if I want to pick it up. If they have the material I need it is a go. If not, they will usually be able to find it at one of the other warehouses and get it to them in S Windsor, usually within a day.

If you are not a certifiable woodworking business then you may not be able to buy from them They are a wholesale dealer, not a retail dealer.

I had a hard time getting in the door. I had a cabinet shop out in Coventry and they wouldn't sell to me until someone came out there and looked at the shop to verify it. But I couldn't get them to come out. So I finally told them that they are gonna cause me to loose this job. They reluctantly decided to sell to me. Once I was in their computer that was that, I was a customer to them. I have been using them ever since. I probably spend between $10-$20K with them annually.

Maik Tobin
09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
In Providence, I have purchased as little as one sheet at a time. No issues at all. I live half way between Boston and Prov, so its an easy run for me.

Jason White
09-15-2010, 6:56 PM
Try Atlantic Plywood in Woburn.

I just bought a sheet of 1/4" cherry plywood from Downes and Reader last week for a display cabinet I am making for my daughter. It was B-2 rated. While it was fine for the backing for the cabinet, the back side was pretty ugly. I will be making all new cabinet doors for my kitchen soon and will need cherry plywood good both faces. Anyone know of a dealer in the Boston area where I can get this?

Jeff Duncan
09-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Leo, I've been told several times over the years a rep would come out to my shop....it's been ten years and still no visit!
Don't get me wrong, you can certainly buy from them. I've spent thousands on finishing products over the years. And buy the occasional sheet of ply when desperate also. But their prices on sheet goods aren't all that competitive, and of the 5 or so guys in the office there's only 1 who I can deal with. Luckily I have several other companies who are cheaper and usually able to deliver faster.
YMMV, good luck,
JeffD

Leo Graywacz
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Where are you getting your sheet goods at a more competative price? I have been using them for years.

Can you only 'deal' with one of the office personel or are you only allowed to communicate with your rep.

I call up and whoever answers the phone is the person I deal with for that time. They usually have 5 people in the office and I have dealt with all of them. I have personal favorites, but they will all serve me just as well.

One thing I have noticed is the more you buy from them the better your price point is. I I know another cabinet maker that buys from them and on average I get 10% better pricing then him.

They just had a summer sale on lacquer thinner, my normal price is better than their advertised sale price LOL.