PDA

View Full Version : Completed Storage Locker

Dr. Zack Jennings
04-06-2003, 6:42 PM
Completed Storage Locker
I waxed my storage locker and added hardware. The project was completed in about 1 month. It is 32” wide, 15” deep and 67” high. The sides are 3 pieces of 1” X 6” beaded board in white pine. The boards are joined by tongue and groove with no glue. The shelf cleats hold it together. They are glued and bradnailed in place. The face frames are SYP, nailed in place & glued. The finish is 50/50 BLO/MS followed by MinWax Puritan Pine Stain, Amber Shellac & Burnt Umber wiping glaze. There’s 1 coat of Johnson’s wax. The back is 1/2” plywood.
<center> http://www.zackjennings.com/1/CompletedStorageLockerApr03.jpg
I decided against building the cabinet in place because I may want to rearrange things later. Also, I need experience in building similar cabinets in my garage & laundry. I wanted closed storage to keep down dust. I decided on 1 large door top & bottom for a shop cabinet.
http://www.zackjennings.com/1/CompletedStorageLocker[2]Apr03.jpg
I have started a second identical cabinet & may build a third. I don't think you can have too much storage.

Bob Oswin
04-06-2003, 6:53 PM
Good for you Zack! It's always nice to get to the end of a project.
You did a fine job and I am sure you will get years of enjoyment out of the project.
Super idea to start a couple more when the concept is still hot!

p.s. as long as your making a couple more , how about making one deep enough for the beer cooler?

Cheers

bob;)

Bart Leetch
04-06-2003, 6:57 PM
I really like it, Zack it reminds me of a old chest my Dad had in the garage that had 4 or 5 drawers & a door

Great looking locker keep up the good work.

Ron McNeil
04-06-2003, 7:01 PM
Dr. Zack, nice job on the storage locker it looks great. I like the top and bottom door instead of just one door.

Steve Clardy
04-06-2003, 8:47 PM
Otta hold lots of Shop goodies, new [gloat] and old. Steve

Von Bickley
04-06-2003, 8:54 PM
Dr. Zack,

Nice looking storage cabinet. I agree that you can't have too much storage.

John Miliunas
04-06-2003, 8:56 PM
Lookin' good there, Doc! Really like the figuring on the pine, too. Appears the depth is just right. I'm using several "recycled" kitchen cabinet bottoms and, although I do like the storage, they're a tad bit deep, which often means digging for stuff that gets shoved to the rear. Looks like your cabinets won't have that problem. Nice design! :cool:

Bruce Page
04-06-2003, 9:04 PM
Zack, That’s a storage locker? If you made it a little deeper you’d have a beautiful entertainment center. Nice work!

Tom Sweeney
04-06-2003, 9:54 PM
I think it would look at home as much in a kitchen or family room, with country style, as it does in the shop.

The finish looks great too - Very well done. I need to make some storage for my shop - I wasn't thinking anything fancy but after looking at yours -I might reconsider.

Jim Baker
04-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Very nice storage locker, Dr Zack. It should add a lot of nice character to your shop.

Well done!

Dan Bussiere
04-07-2003, 9:56 AM
Looks too purdy for my garage but strong enough to take the beating it would get. Nice work.
Dan