PDA

View Full Version : Saturn revisited

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2010, 7:34 PM
A while back I posted some pics of this with it's little "mushroom cap knob thing" which I was very not happy with. Some suggested a different knob and some suggested a finial. After a week of torturous indecision... knob?.. finial?... I came up with this "knobial". Yesterday evening, I whacked off the little mushroom cap knob thing and replaced it with the new "knobial". Better? And the little mushroom cap thing? It now has the honor of being the smallest "useless thing" I have turned to date...

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 7:40 PM
Nice improvement David.........this one give symmetry to the piece and balance as well. Nicely done, a good compromise between a knob and a finial. Very creative! :)

Sean Hughto
09-13-2010, 7:51 PM
Hmmm. As always, extremely skillful turning, but the addition isn't for me. My mind can't help but see a it as sort of pin puncturing something. Don't go by me though. I turned a thing on a stick sort of thing and ended up deciding that the stick looked - uh, um ... fecal .

Nate Davey
09-13-2010, 7:52 PM
A lofty honor no doubt. I like the new finial.

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2010, 8:04 PM
I don't think it looks at all "fecal". In fact, it looks like a spiral at first glance.

Sean Hughto
09-13-2010, 8:11 PM
I think the spiral aspect is a trick of the photo lighting. I wish it were a spiral. The stacked eggs didn't work to my eye - maybe not fecal but more "cloacal." Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but rather just thought to share my growing appreciation of how hard it is (for me at least) to make successful spindles - whether it be chair legs or finials - it's a serious challenge.

gary Zimmel
09-13-2010, 8:20 PM
Let's call it a knonial....
Sweet job on the knonial David. Looks right in place on the Saturn thingy...
Nice improvement.

John Keeton
09-13-2010, 8:52 PM
Well, you have a signature stick, and now a new nomenclature for your signature knobial (sorry Gary, I like knobial better!) - David, there is just no end to the creativity here.

I think the issue may be the taper outward, but Keith Burns has his signature exclamation point finial, and it works.

I kind of like the replication of the form in the top of the knobial, and overall I think it helped the piece. I still am not a fan of the top being 'heavier' than the bottom, or at least appearing as such. Notwithstanding, David, no one can question your turning skills - they are superb.

Tom Sherman
09-13-2010, 9:25 PM
David I like the revision, as has been said I like also how the top of the Knobial replicates the form. Don't fret about the little mushroom thingie, save it for the top of a small ring box or something of that nature.

Josh Bowman
09-13-2010, 9:33 PM
I like it!

Baxter Smith
09-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Can't say I'm a knobial fan at first glance, but it looks well done. Maybe they will grow on me!:)

Jon Lanier
09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I like this. and the little left over "Whacked off piece" Looks like a a moon of Saturn.

steven carter
09-14-2010, 9:54 AM
David,

I really like the form of the "knobial", but I think I like the overall form better with the knob. The "knobial" is so impressive that it steals the show from the form IMO. By the way, nothing of beauty is without use!

Steve

Scott Hackler
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Hmmm Im not feeling it either. I think its just a little too busy with the finial. Like I stated in the first round, I think it looks fabulous without the lid and although it changes the intent of a "Saturn" form, I would like to see another pedestal turned the the lid made into its own form.

Dont get me wrong, its really nice no matter what. Its all about perception and other peoples likes and dis-likes.

Bet you didnt know this would be so controversial, huh?

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Humm... seems to be some varying opinions here! Maybe what I'll do is make three interchangeable "toppers", one knob, one finial and one "knobial". Then whoever is looking at it can put the one they like best on...

John Keeton
09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Humm... seems to be some varying opinions here! Maybe what I'll do is make three interchangeable "toppers", one knob, one finial and one "knobial". Then whoever is looking at it can put the one they like best on...David, with your ingenuity, perhaps a "turret" effect such that one could simply rotate the turret to position their favored embellishment atop "Saturn??";):D

Roger Chandler
09-14-2010, 2:00 PM
Humm... seems to be some varying opinions here! Maybe what I'll do is make three interchangeable "toppers", one knob, one finial and one "knobial". Then whoever is looking at it can put the one they like best on...

David,

There is an old axiom that states "to thine own self be true." You are the artist here. Your statement is made in your creation. While constructive criticisms are helpful, and we all can grow from them, there is also a point that can be reached where one can loose their individuality and can, in trying to please others, lose sight of their purpose for making something in the first place.

I would say, when it has gotten to where you like what you have turned, then that is where it should remain........you have done superb work here, and you have mostly all admirers of your work, and that speaks volumes about your skill in this craft! Congratulations!!!

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 2:50 PM
And the little mushroom cap thing? It now has the honor of being the smallest "useless thing" I have turned to date...
Whadaya mean.. useless?... Put it inside a hollowform... It'll really make someone wrack their brain...

Karl Card
09-14-2010, 5:03 PM
Well I am sure it is more than I could have done. IMHO i feel like if you started at the base, come up to the ball middle then go with the top and let the top get smaller as it got longer then maybe a small ball on the end of that I feel like would have set the whole piece off. As if each part needed the other parts to complete the picture.

Hope that made sense. I know what I was thinking but sometimes words escape me.

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 8:50 PM
Well I am sure it is more than I could have done. IMHO i feel like if you started at the base, come up to the ball middle then go with the top and let the top get smaller as it got longer then maybe a small ball on the end of that I feel like would have set the whole piece off. As if each part needed the other parts to complete the picture.

Hope that made sense. I know what I was thinking but sometimes words escape me.

OK... you lost me! How about a sketch? I would love to see your idea....