PDA

View Full Version : An 18th.C. pencil I just made,George Wilson.

george wilson
09-13-2010, 6:45 PM
This is an 18th.C. mechanical pencil I made a few months ago for a friend who wanted one real bad. Of course,you can't buy them,and they are rare.

The brass pencil was made on a metal lathe,but the work was turned freehand. The knurled parts are made with knurls I have made.

If anyone wants to see how to make knurls here,I will post pictures of how to make old fashioned knurls like you cannot get any more. They were used on old brass microscopes,etc. Those kind of knurls.

Wooden pencils with hand sawed square graphite "leads" were in use by the 18th.C.. I have 1,by the way. It is only 3/16" in diameter,with a 1/32" square lead in it. The lead doesn't go all the way through the pencil. The didn't waste lead on a short pencil.

There was a deposit of pure graphite discovered in England,I think in the 1500's. No where else in Europe did they have any of this graphite. For many years,the Germans and French struggled to produce a man made substitute. Conte,whose name is well known in pencils today,finally managed to do it,in the late 18th.or early 19th.C. I can't recall exactly.

The earliest use of graphite was by local sheep farmers,using chunks of it to mark their sheep.

It was discovered that cannon ball molds could be made out of the graphite. They could be used over and over. The English Government declared the deposits were crown property then. I suppose pencil makers got what couldn't be made into cannon molds.

You can get 3 millimeter leads,but at the time I did not have any,so just turned down a normal pencil to use in the meantime.

The pencil is simple:The knurled collars slide up the tapered shafts,squeezing the lead slightly. The pencil had to be made in halves,threaded invisibly together under the central collar. It was more trouble to make than I had realized before I started.

Jonathan McCullough
09-13-2010, 7:07 PM
Knurlers: do tell. How are they different from what you can get today? Do they make a different pattern? Is it a straight diagonal instead of a diamond-y/diapered pattern? I've seen straight-across (for lack of a better term) knurling on old nautical stuff that looks quite the ticket.

A pencil like that would certainly look handsome next to a boxwood folding rule, maybe with a carbide scribe in one end. In use do the fingertips sort of rest on the collet ring thingee?

Leigh Betsch
09-13-2010, 7:10 PM
If anyone wants to see how to make knurls here,I will post pictures of how to make old fashioned knurls like you cannot get any more. They were used on old brass microscopes,etc. Those kind of knurls.

I would like to see your knurls and learn how you make them. I could use a knurl tool once in a while.

george wilson
09-13-2010, 7:12 PM
The old knurls were offered in an endless variety of patterns. The most common are the convex "Thread" like knurls often seen on antique microscopes.

Have you noticed the rope knurls on the pencil? They were common,too.

If you wish to see about making knurls,let me know,but I'm running out of time right now.

Edit: O.K., Leigh,I'll post later or tomorrow about knurl making,though it is off topic for this forum. I know some of you have metal lathes,and you could make them too with the info. I will put up of pictures of knurl making in progress.

Rick Markham
09-13-2010, 7:49 PM
You know I am interested in learning how you made your knurl makers. I never realized that there were mechanical pencils in the 18th C. I guess I always assumed that was a modern invention. It makes sense though. I'm always amazed at the things that (I for one) take for granted.

george wilson
09-13-2010, 7:53 PM
The pencil is about the same as things called "crayon holders",which are used today to hold pastel color sticks for artists. The pastel sticks are much larger,though. Pastel sticks are pretty messy. I suppose some artists don't want them getting all over their hands.

Rick Markham
09-13-2010, 8:02 PM
Ok that makes perfect sense now. I know exactly what you are talking about, I remember having teachers that had the same sort of thing for chalk. They haven't let me play with pastels yet in my drawing class... just charcoal so far.

george wilson
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
tomorrow I will post about making knurls. It would be useful here,because so many guys on the forum make planes. They need good,proper knurls to make the cap screws. Without the proper cap screws,the planes can have a little short falling. The good thing is,the cap screw is easily replaced later on.

If I can't get to it tomorrow,then soon. I have several photographs on file,so the hard part is done. I hope the photos will be decent. I took them with my little Canon while working at the lathe. When they get highly magnified,like they are here,they suddenly show their flaws. Like when My back hurts,and I can't hold the camera steady,and can't use a tripod where I'm working.

Rick Markham
09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds good George, I look forward to it. I wouldn't worry too much about the idiosyncracies of the photos... We don't expect you to be a flawless photographer too, certainly not with your back being uncooperative.

Jim Koepke
09-14-2010, 1:39 AM
Looks great. Count me in on wanting to know about knurling.

I always wondered how they always come out without there being evidence of an over lap. Does the tool have to be calculated for the work piece?

jtk

David Weaver
09-14-2010, 8:28 AM
tomorrow I will post about making knurls. It would be useful here,because so many guys on the forum make planes. They need good,proper knurls to make the cap screws. Without the proper cap screws,the planes can have a little short falling. The good thing is,the cap screw is easily replaced later on.

If I can't get to it tomorrow,then soon. I have several photographs on file,so the hard part is done. I hope the photos will be decent. I took them with my little Canon while working at the lathe. When they get highly magnified,like they are here,they suddenly show their flaws. Like when My back hurts,and I can't hold the camera steady,and can't use a tripod where I'm working.

I'm extremely interested in this. It's the one thing that is really crude on all of my planes except one where I was able to get a knurled screw from Ron Brese, and nobody seems to be consistently making them for general sale.

Van Huskey
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
I love your threads George, I see something very cool and get a history lesson as well!

george wilson
09-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments.I hope you will enjoy the other posts.