PDA

View Full Version : D C 380 start-up question

Dave Zellers
09-13-2010, 6:33 PM
When I press the start button on my DC 380 15" planer it starts slowly right away then a half second later there is a green flash inside the motor and it kicks into full speed.

I assume this is normal but since this older planer is new to me I thought I would check in here with the experts and experienced DC 380 users.

Chip Lindley
09-13-2010, 7:52 PM
Dave, I will take your word for it. But, since the DC-380 has a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor, It would be hard to see any green flash.

If you are accustomed to working with 230v, try bypassing the switch, from plugin directly to motor leads. See if the motor starts normally when plugged into it's outlet.

If plugging in directly cures the problem, problem is in the switch. Pull the on/off switch and disassemble to check for burned contacts. The green arc you see may be the switch making only partial contact. See if cleaning the contacts, or replacing the switch solves your problem.

If that fails, the problem could be with the centrifugal switch for the start winding. Disassembly of the motor will let you check if the switch is sliding up and down the shaft smoothly under spring tension. The contacts can be checked to see if they are burned or pitted. If so, polish them up with a fine file or crocus cloth. Keep us posted.
~Chip~

Peter Quinn
09-13-2010, 8:09 PM
My DC-380 starts with a resounding "bbaaaaaaaaaroooooooooom". No soft start there. Maybe a four count from push the button to full speed with a bit of rapid wind up as it gets there. And absolutely no electrical blue flashes of light. Not sure they are all the same or what may be causing yours to do these things.

Now my Italian BS and shaper both have soft starting motors which roll with a gentle wind up and no big bang or boom as they get up to speed. Makes me wonder why more US machines don't have a soft start feature. Its nice not to have that startling lurch into action.

Dave Zellers
09-13-2010, 8:19 PM
Dave, I will take your word for it. But, since the DC-380 has a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor, It would be hard to see any green flash.

The green flash is inside the fan enclosure at the end opposite the pulleys.

mickey cassiba
09-13-2010, 9:26 PM
Centrifugal switch may be arcing. Check the contacts for corrosion, and or burn marks. Of course, it may be something else altogether. That's where I'd look first.
Mick

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2010, 9:39 PM
My 380 is a 1997 model, and it goes 0 to 60 in less than five seconds. Is the flash you are seeing in the connector box, and not the motor?

Chip Lindley
09-13-2010, 9:51 PM
The green flash is inside the fan enclosure at the end opposite the pulleys.

Well then, that negates the on/off switch as the culprit. Sounds like the centrifugal switch is arcing.

Dave Zellers
09-14-2010, 7:39 AM
Centrifugal switch may be arcing. Check the contacts for corrosion, and or burn marks. Of course, it may be something else altogether. That's where I'd look first.
Mick

Well then, that negates the on/off switch as the culprit. Sounds like the centrifugal switch is arcing.

OK. Sounds like the centrifugal switch is arcing.:eek:

Given that I don't even know what a centrifugal switch is, how bad is that?

I guess I remove the fan cover to find these contacts?

Dave Zellers
09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm only resurrecting this thread now for future searchers since I ran across a web site (which I can't find now, naturally) that mentioned one possible cause of centrifugal switch arcing can be over oiling of the motor bearings. The oil can get thrown onto the contacts, causing the arcing during start-up.

This has captured my attention because repeated start-ups do seem to give out a smaller flash than before and at least one time recently (now that I check every time) there was no flash. The guy I bought this from did have a spray can of oil (not WD 40) that I saw him use quite regularly. I wonder if he got a little spray happy as this had been sitting unused for many years.

I still haven't pulled off the fan housing but I may do that soon to get a closer look. But I'm a huge fan of giving things a chance to 'fix themselves'.

Drives my wife crazy.