PDA

View Full Version : Do I use the new batteries?

Brian Penning
09-13-2010, 5:49 PM
I already have the Bosch 12V litheon driver and right angle drill. Both great tools. So I have 4 batteries now.
Been thirsting after the new PS31-2A drill. If/when I get the new drill is it better to keep the 2 new batteries in storage and never use them, OR, fully charge them now and then? I don't need 6 batteries.

Will Overton
09-13-2010, 5:55 PM
Lithium batteries have a finite life, used or not. I have 10 of those little suckers and just put them in rotation.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 6:00 PM
Lithium batteries have a finite life, used or not. I have 10 of those little suckers and just put them in rotation.

Yep, they start to die from the day they are born.

Tom Esh
09-13-2010, 7:03 PM
Yeah, even un-used they still age. If you want to keep a couple as reserves, you can retard that aging by storing them in the 'fridge at about a half charge.

glenn bradley
09-13-2010, 7:19 PM
+1 for rotation. Use 'em or lose 'em.

Rich Engelhardt
09-14-2010, 7:47 AM
Yep + whatever for rotation.

Brian Penning
09-14-2010, 7:57 AM
That's interesting that brand new kits/units that have been unsold for months(years?) contain batteries with less life than those newly manufactured.

John McClanahan
09-14-2010, 8:11 AM
You might consider numbering the batteries. That way if one of them seems to need recharging often, you can keep track it and weed it out if needed.

John

Derrell W Sloan
09-14-2010, 8:47 AM
Back in January Home Depot had a great deal on a 18v ridgid cordless set. It came with a drill, impact driver, saw, light, two Lithium ion batteries and a charger (I think I paid ~$150 for it). I got a set for my dad as well. His batteries went bad really fast and HD replaced both with new ones. Then mine started to go bad. When I took mine back to the store to get them replaced they looked at a number on the batteries and told me that they were manufactured in 2008. They said their their store policy was that they would replace the batteries in the store if they went bad within 1 year but after that you had to send them to a ridgid service center. Fortunately I had my receipt and they took care of me and gave me two new batteries. And once I used the new batteries I was shocked at the difference in the power and in how long the charge lasted compared to the old batteries. So you better use those batteries and not let them sit.

Matt Meiser
09-14-2010, 8:55 AM
I've got a bunch too because I acquired mine over time and rotate too. Dead ones go right in the charger, charged ones sit on the shelf, and when I need a new one I grab it off the shelf.

On my other cordless system, I numbered each of the batteries so that if/when I start to have trouble with them I can keep track of which one(s) are failing to hold a charge.

Dave Gaul
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I have 5 Lithium batteries (Makita 18v). 2 1.5ah I've had for 5 years now, still work just as good as day 1. I have 1 3ah for 3 years, and still just as new. 2 3ah ones for over a year, and of course, just as new.. I rotate all of them, never drain them fully dead, always fully charge them, never leave them in the charger when they are done...

+1 on "use them or loose them"...

Joe Chritz
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
LiIon batteries also don't take a set so you can charge them whenever. They do loose charge as they sit. They also prefer to be stored at about 40% charge if they sit for long periods of time.

Here is a little primer on Lithium batteries and extending the life.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Joe