PDA

View Full Version : Information on Trotec Speedy II 2004

Russell Ludwick
09-13-2010, 3:49 PM
I just encountered a local add for a 29"x17" 30W trotec speedy II 2004 in what looks like good-great condition for 6000 dollars. It has a problem with the repeatability of the positioning that must be addressed by the trotec service department. It is being sold as is.

I have some general questions about the machine and I couldn't find much information about it on the internet. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on some of these questions.

Heres some of my questions.

What can a new machine do that this machine cannot?
What interface does it use? USB, Parallel Port, Ethernet
How much Z travel does it have?
Pass through Front or Back?
Can it run the latest firmware?
Would this be a good deal on a starter machine for a business?
Does anyone know this problem and how much would it cost to fix?
Is this too old of a machine to start with?
Is it even a good machine?

Part of me thinks this could be a great buy for its large size and functionality. Part of me thinks it is a bust and not worth the gamble because it needs a repair and it outdated. Any owners past or present of this model would be greatly appreciated as well as any other comments.

Mike Null
09-13-2010, 4:08 PM
Trotec tech support is very helpful and can address your questions but if the tube is good it sounds like a winner.

There is no pass through but you can drop the front door.

It probably uses a USB interface.

The Z travel will probably be the same as on current Speedy 300',s but tech support can verify that.

You should be able to run the latest firmware but there may be a fee to upgrade--just a guess.

Some positioning issues can be fixed within the drivers.

I'm not the best person to ask as I think these are easily the best equipment on the market.

Gary Sheriff
09-14-2010, 2:20 AM
Russell,
That machine is solid. My machine is a Trotec 45 watt also from 2004. I never have done anything to it and I currently use it for demonstrations to show how new machines run. It still fires 48 watts.

I have not heard of repeatability issues and am sure it could be addressed fairly easily.

Please see below in red for answers to your questions:

- What can a new machine do that this machine cannot?
Nothing

- What interface does it use? USB, Parallel Port, Ethernet
Serial for sure and most likely USB. If only serial, then you can purchase a serial to USB adapter and run it from a standard USB from any Windows based computer

How much Z travel does it have?
7.5"

Pass through Front or Back?
Front door drops down, but no pass through on the back

Can it run the latest firmware?
Yes

Would this be a good deal on a starter machine for a business?
Absolutely!

Does anyone know this problem and how much would it cost to fix?
Need to isolate. I can give worst case scenarios that are not bad. I dont have pricing but can get it. I would like to know more about it before giving worst case - though worst case is not bad, as I mentioned.

Is this too old of a machine to start with?
No

Is it even a good machine?
Extremely

- Gary

Russell Ludwick
09-15-2010, 1:24 PM
I just want to give an update. After weighing all the pros and cons and getting all the information I could...

I BOUGHT IT!

and Gary is my local rep and he will help fix it up for me. I should be up and running within the next month. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to move this beast. I think this will be a great entry level machine for me and it should be able to do everything I want and more. Despite being a little old, I think it is still completely functional and could turn out to be a great deal.

Viktor Voroncov
09-15-2010, 1:38 PM
Congratulations, Russell,
Welcome to crazy-from-laser community:D

Mike Null
09-15-2010, 6:00 PM
Good move--actually two good moves--you got Gary for free.

That machine is not OLD!

If it had been in St. Louis it would be in my basement.

Russell Ludwick
09-15-2010, 6:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was originally thinking of buying a new machine, but this just happened to be listed about 30 minutes away from me and at a good deal, but a bit of a gamble.

I am confident gary can help me get this thing running tip top. Hes not quite working for free, but he is willing to work out a fair deal to get this thing blazing. And thats okay by me.

Ray Uebner
09-15-2010, 7:14 PM
I am sure you will love it just like I like my Speedy 300 45 watt. Check with Gary on how to move it. Take some help with you. Good buy and welcome to the world of laser engravers.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-15-2010, 7:16 PM
Hey Russell, Welcome to the very exclusive Trotec owners club :D JK.

I have the same model but a I think mine is 2002 or 2003 but I am current with Job control and firmware. Still on original tube. Still runs at about 75Watts I think last time I checked with a power meter. I would see how your laser works and see if Gary can put a power meter on it so you have a benchmark. If it is low or when it does get low I would definitely see about jumping up to a 60 - 75 watt or more to replace it. If you are just doing it as a hobby it may not matter but if you are doing production or it is a full time gig then, IMHO, you will want more power to take advantage of the speed that Trotec lasers (comes standard) have. Hope to see you up and running soon and post some of your stuff.

Thanks and ...