PDA

View Full Version : sliding base -big gulp hood-dust collection

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 1:24 PM
Hi all,

In response to Mike Cruz, I finally got the time this afternoon to go out to the shop to take a few pics of the sliding base I made for the big gulp hood that I use behind the bed ways of my lathe.

This allows the hood to slide forward and back to be as close as needed for sanding, and some collection of the curlees, and then pushed back out of the way when not needed. It really works great. Depending on how much room one has on the back side, the base could be made longer, and give even more room away from the bed of the lathe. I am limited because of space, and even though there is a wall behind my lathe, I can still get the hose adapter and all and have plenty of room.

I use the Rockler "Dust Right" hookups for my 4" hose, and that goes to my dust collector. The base is mounted to a roller stand with the roller and bracket removed, and the base is attached with 4 screws.

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 1:32 PM
here are a few more pics........

OOOPS!!! Don't know why the picture did not display....they uploaded according to the attachments manager?????

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 1:41 PM
pics.........now that is better.......I think I forgot to click the paper clip first:o

John Keeton
09-13-2010, 2:43 PM
Nice setup Roger! Apparently, I have too much "stuff" around for the Big Gulp. It really got in the way for me. Of course, I have my light mounted just behind my lathe, and it can be placed in one of 5 locations, then I have the lighted magnifier. But, mostly, I have to deal with my obsession to keep the area clean, so I have to access the area behind my lathe often.

What you have done is great, though, and seems it would do a much better job than most setups.

Roger Chandler
09-13-2010, 2:50 PM
Nice setup Roger! Apparently, I have too much "stuff" around for the Big Gulp. It really got in the way for me. Of course, I have my light mounted just behind my lathe, and it can be placed in one of 5 locations, then I have the lighted magnifier. But, mostly, I have to deal with my obsession to keep the area clean, so I have to access the area behind my lathe often.

What you have done is great, though, and seems it would do a much better job than most setups.

Thanks John,

This setup does work well. My lighting is good as I have an overhead shop light that has daylight florescent tubes in it, and another ceiling light with the same daylight tubes in them on the side of the shop with the lathe.

I think I am going to look into getting a magnifier for my set up as well.......you know these eyes how they start needing bi-focals, and then they are not adequate sometimes.