PDA

View Full Version : More Osage Orange

Harvey Schneider
09-13-2010, 9:35 AM
I finished another piece of that Osage Orange. This time I felt brave and took the walls down to 1/8". In spite of the fragile appearance of the wood it cut quite well, having an almost waxy consistency.
The piece is 6-1/4" diameter by 3" tall.
There is so much going on in this wood that I again decided on a simple shape.
The wood was sanded to 600 grit and then burnished with a synthetic pad equivalent to 0000 steel wool. The finish is wax buffed with a shop towel while the work was still on the lathe. The wax was almost unnecessary because the wood had such a high gloss by itself. I'm not sure it is needed, but I decided on the wax as a protection for the wood.
This piece is an intentional contrast between the rustic, organic, raw material and the clean lines and polished finish imposed on it.
I included three profile views because the wood is so varied. In the inverted view you can see some natural exposed surface of the tree.
Critique and comments are welcomed.

Terry Beadle
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Nice !

I wish I could find some osage orange in the Atlanta area.

Very nice bowl. Put a salad in it !

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Very interesting bowl - lots of character! Hope the knots do not continue to check because they sure add to the piece! Nice work!

Paul Douglass
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
WOW that is pretty wood. Reminds me a lot of mulberry.

David E Keller
09-13-2010, 2:26 PM
Pretty wood... I love the grain pattern inside the piece. Nice shape as well.

Baxter Smith
09-13-2010, 6:37 PM
Great color. Reminds me of something that is very old that has developed a wonderful patina.

Harvey Schneider
09-14-2010, 7:57 AM
Great color. Reminds me of something that is very old that has developed a wonderful patina.

I saw the guy that gave me the wood this was made of. He told me that the wood is over 20 years old, so yes it is very old.

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 2:45 PM
I love it, Harvey! Put it on a shelf. Hang onto it for a few years, using it every once in a while, and it'll bring a few hundred from a lover of old wooden bowls...
that's just my guess... :)

Travis R. Nelson
09-14-2010, 4:43 PM
Nice !

I wish I could find some osage orange in the Atlanta area.

Very nice bowl. Put a salad in it !

How much do you want?? I make it to ATL at least twice a month. I've got a bunch. PM me and we can get the details worked out....

James Roberts
09-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice job Harvey, it has a very old feeling and look to it, sort of antique. Will the wood get darker as it ages more?