PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2010, 9:26 AM
13 Sep 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm beginning to get a bit excited as the temps begin to cool off from the 100+ degree days to days in the 80's and that means that it's getting closer to time for me to work my schedule out so that I can get in the shop again. Yea!!

Been learning and doing leather work and helping my kids learn about leather work. My daughter has made several pieces to give away as gifts and she does pretty good at this stuff because she's more on the artsy/creative side of the line that the rest of us.

The LOML and I have been working on stripping my great grandmother's old rocking chair so that we can re-upholster it. So now I'm getting to learn about upholstery, leather craft, and how to keep sewing machines running all at the same time!!

Soon my daughter and I will be starting the work on her hope chest and I need to get my jointer knives sharpened up before I start that project. Time to warm up the old Tormek and put an edge on my knives and tools once again.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
09-13-2010, 9:46 AM
Friday my contractor came and finished up the gas line to my shop and converted the furnace out there so Friday evening I installed my new thermostat, Saturday morning I built forms to replace a section of sidewalk we took out to run the line to the house, and Sunday all of us spent several hours fixing some sink holes formed by heavy rain Saturday along the trenches (good timing!), regrading an area near the house since we have to reseed anyway, fixing the driveway, and doing final raking of everything. We finished by going to the hardware store and buying 1000lbs of concrete mix.

Also spent several hours on work-work due to an urgent project.

Dan Hintz
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Attended the ShopBot meeting, loaned some equipment to a fellow laserer, attended an impromptu concert, drank heavily, and enjoyed my time out (finally).

Jeremy Greiner
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Got my cabinet project all together for a dry fit, then emptied my wallet for clamps to glue it together :)

-jeremy

Josiah Bartlett
09-13-2010, 3:59 PM
I assembled the mortised apron- spindle legged table I made out of clear cedar for my porch, and made 12 mostly identical curtain rod brackets out of scrap maple. I would have painted them but I realized I was out of small brushes.

I found my bandsaw guides to be lacking for a 3/16" blade but I found that my new HF OSS is a great tool and it really cleaned things up.

Neil Brooks
09-13-2010, 5:18 PM
Made some fair progress on my latest project -- this guy, here (stock picture of finished project, from QS oak):

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/woodstore_2123_27872371

Went with rough-sawn beetle-kill pine (sadly, rather plentiful, in Colorado :().

Got all the wood milled, most of the stock cut, the glue-ups done, all the tapers (at 3*) cut, and have a solid start on all the biscuit slot cutting (forgot how much I like using my P-C biscuit joiner !).

Also bought a copy of a Charles Neil DVD set for a friend. The sound of his voice, on my voice mail, reminded me of just how incredible it feels to give to others :-)

James Baker SD
09-13-2010, 6:42 PM
hanging a new door on my woodshop. Had to be the most unsquare door frame ever constructed--straight out of the "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari".

James

Kent E. Matthew
09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
51 miles on my road bike.

Philip Johnson
09-14-2010, 5:31 AM
Doesn't anyone else have to work weekends at a real job, the one that pays the bills. Oh well I now have tue wed thurs fri off to try and get a few things done.

Phil

Joe Mioux
09-14-2010, 9:42 AM
Doesn't anyone else have to work weekends at a real job, the one that pays the bills. Oh well I now have tue wed thurs fri off to try and get a few things done.

Phil

yes, seven days a week... Sunday is just a lighter work day.

Bill A Hagen
09-14-2010, 9:57 AM
Took all the interior doors out of the upstairs of my house. Prepped them with LOML, then sprayed and reinstalled them. And all of them turned out great except the last one which fell when spraying it.

Van Huskey
09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I almost got a great deal on a planer... Great Rockler Planer Hoax of 2010 :D

I did get a great deal on a bandsaw... Minimax MM20

A weekend spent tool shopping is a weekend well spent!

Dan Hintz
09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Took all the interior doors out of the upstairs of my house. Prepped them with LOML
You prepped them with Love Of My Life? Does she come in a bottle? How do you hold her? Is she expensive or more like the $1/quart stuff? :D