PDA

View Full Version : wooden fish (Bluegill, Gar, Pike)

Dave MacArthur
09-13-2010, 3:42 AM
Here's a project I did for my sons a few weeks ago, some carved and painted wooden fish models. The Bass I did a few years ago, a big hit with the boys, so I added a bluegill, a gar, and a pike. Cut out from 2x4s, most shaping done on a band saw, some finish work with small carving chisels. Acrylic paints from hobby shop, then clear spray finish.

My sons, 6 and 7, have been watching "River Monsters" on TV, a show about large dangerous fish in rivers, so they had to have a pike and gar. I let them do the paint job, was surprised how nice a job it turned out.

They've got about 8 of these carved fish now, and love playing with them, always fun to make. They don't have the patience for a large project, so it's nice to be able to whip one of these out in a few hours--probably does more for convincing the wife of the usefulness of the tools than more serious projects! And it resulted in a trip to Cabela's to watch the fish in their big aquariums, which is ALWAYS a good day!

Sean Hughto
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Those are terrific. I'd love to see some more pics, especially of the pike.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 4:12 PM
Really fishy post there Dave.. :D

Very cool fish!

Bill Huber
09-14-2010, 9:01 AM
Now that is true art....

I love them, I bet that everyone does, setting on an end table someplace would really catch your eye.

alex grams
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
You should do a lifesize alligator gar! Go cut down a 18" diameter tree and get to work, see you in about 5-10 years!

Great looking fish though, very cool project.

gary Zimmel
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Cool projects Dave. Even better as your sons were involved.